Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

The umpiring want biased but just plain awful. We had some soft calls earlier in the game as well
Yep.

However, I really do think the way the ruck/stoppages was officiated in the first half gave GWS a massive leg up for them however. When they clamped down a bit on the excessive holding in there early in the 3rd, the contest around the ball evened up a lot.

A tactic that I'm sure whoever we play in a fortnight will take very close notice of, as it stifled us effectively in the first half.

I was shocked (along with an entire stadium of Swans fans) about how, every time we’d work the ball out of defence and start to look to attack, we never got a run-on, but instead would stop and look for options.

Clearly they were under instruction to do this, but Advance Hair Clinic will have about 45,000 new clients on Monday morning because we were all tearing our hair out and it was happening all effing day until the last quarter.

I don’t think they were under instructions to do this. I think the giants worked insanely well as a unit to block up the passing lanes.
As frustrating as the ball movement was in the first half, from up the top of the Noble, you could see that there were generally **** all options.

felt like the players needed to run a bit harder to make space once play had slowed. But the quick option was almost never there.

I don’t think they were under instructions to do this. I think the giants worked insanely well as a unit to block up the passing lanes.
As frustrating as the ball movement was in the first half, from up the top of the Noble, you could see that there were generally **** all options.

felt like the players needed to run a bit harder to make space once play had slowed. But the quick option was almost never there.
Pretty much agree with this there was a few occasions when a guy was standing in space but for the most part it was the lack of run from behind in Blakey Roberts that was frustrating.

There is definitely something in the tactic of absorbing relentless opposition pressure, even if you concede an achievable lead, and conserving your energy to go BANG towards the end of the game when the opposition has spent their tickets and can’t go with you.

It’s a delicate balancing act, but I can see the method behind the madness.

But.....Were the umpires as horribly inconsistent as I thought watching at the ground, or is it my bias? HTB, and high tackles seemed to go in their favour, I also thought we took 2-3 marks that weren't paid.

Was shocked to see we won the free kick count.
It was astonishingly bad.

Not necessarily biased, but so bad that it opens the door to all sorts of swivel-eyed conspiracy theories about bias.

It’s a real problem. I’m sure the umps always do their darndest and I’m sure they did yesterday, but the game is so fast, so free-flowing and so 360° that it’s almost impossible to officiate well without fundamentally changing the nature of it.

Also, this is a bit of a reach.

Is it possible we have an entirely predictable game plan as default, with something else up our sleeve that only comes out occasionally where needed, even for short bursts in games. We don't bring it out all the time, because we don't want the other teams to work it out.

Trying to rationalise why we are so bad, don't move the ball quickly. There were times where we had the ball at half back, and players on the wing were looking towards our goal.

GF day, we just go bang and kick the first 10 goals.
Rope-a-dope with a turbocharger.

It was astonishingly bad.

Not necessarily biased, but so bad that it opens the door to all sorts of swivel-eyed conspiracy theories about bias.

It’s a real problem. I’m sure the umps always do their darndest and I’m sure they did yesterday, but the game is so fast, so free-flowing and so 360° that it’s almost impossible to officiate well without fundamentally changing the nature of it.

Melican "high" was BS
Cunningham non high was BS

Both resulted in goals

Can’t be too reactionary with just the lastest performance of the players. Parker was missing but had been kicking goals for us since he’s been back.
Campbell his best performance ever but is it because he was sub? Start him and it might look different. Gita said, if we are still going to include JMac, have him as sub because he’s clearly not ready for finals footy.

There is definitely something in the tactic of absorbing relentless opposition pressure, even if you concede an achievable lead, and conserving your energy to go BANG towards the end of the game when the opposition has spent their tickets and can’t go with you.

It’s a delicate balancing act, but I can see the method behind the madness.
Horse is in the pocket of Big Pharma, he's deliberately giving up leads to sell heart and blood pressure medication

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching Offsiders -a great wrap for our boys. But why and how does that stupid old Roy Masters still get on. He still can’t accept that the AFL is a part of Australian sport. He’s just full of hot air.
OMG is he still flogging that dead horse.

It’s like there’s some sort of contractual agreement in place.

This one pissed me off the most. Though what also pissed me off was that the players just stopped expecting the free. Always play to the whistle. No matter how obvious it is.

Yep but it was very obvious i guess, the Blakey block was there needs to be better at disguising his efforts.

The non Parker mark was ridiculous then then Cadman "hold" which resulted in a goal.

Agree to disagree. I was up high also, and everyone around me was screaming out the manifold options on offer at key points.

Maybe the truth was somewhere in the middle.

They may well prove me wrong - but while they were terrific last night the Hawks, I think they are still very rough around the edges. Pace and pressure were good, but they have plenty of errors in them.

The dogs did not apply the level of pressure needed - we of course have to increase our pressure levels a lot - but I think the Giants were a lot cleaner today (even with errors they made) than the Hawks were last night. It will be a very tough contest whoever we get - its a prelim after all, but I'm not so sold they are quite there yet.
Due to the fact that Hawthorn finished 7th most people underrate them thinking they can't be that good. This is far from the reality.
They lost the unlosable game against port when leading by 45 points in the third and then conceded two goals inside the last 60 seconds of the game.
Had they won that game, do you know where they would have finished? Second!
I have no doubt people would be looking at them differently had they finished second, where they really should have.
I'm more inclined to play Port if I had a choice.

What a game, how much fun was that? Just a brilliant effort by the team against a mighty Giants performance. Absolute classic game of finals footy, especially since the good guys came out on top.

My daughters claimed they were going to get "I heart Isaac Heeney" tattoos and I found myself thinking "yep, that seems reasonable". Didn't think I'd ever be approving of body art for my offspring!

He should be far from our worst. He is our captain and shouldn't be looking like a deer in the headlights in finals.

Yep and I don't think he looked like a deer in headlights , I thought he was solid

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back