Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t know how many “high contact” frees were awarded - but it felt like a world record.

And I hated it.
It’s the ones that slip and brush the shoulder that shit me.

I can’t understand why they can’t have an allowance for incidental contact where it doesn’t impact the players ability to contest the ball, it would make for a much better game.

One of the greatest individual finals performances ever. Mark of the century as well. But he had a few friends that came along for GHD rude. I thought Lloydy was sensational all game. Rowie was great too. Harry is a big game performer & cut Daniels out.

I know Braden Campbell had a torrid week. Sorry to hear about his grandfather. I know when my grandfather died when I was 15, it was more than a bit difficult & emotional. I still remember that time & the devastation at the loss of the nan that taught me to love poetry & literature.

But in saying that I would have played him the whole game. McInerney was not ready, that was obvious. When he did get on he went viral & was sensational. Sometimes in those situations a person needs an outlet & when he got on it proved so.

The backs have a lot of work to do in the next 2 weeks. How about some coordination & talking down there? Especially the talls. McCartin, Mills, Blakey & Melican were not talking. They were all up in packs leaving us outnumbered at ground level. If you can't kill a high ball to the boundary, sure up the ground ball.

It was a wonderful win. But can we please stop the come from behind last minute wins please as my heart is getting old & I already have a quarter blockage & I don't need this sort of excitement. Could we please win one by a lot.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

My daughters claimed they were going to get "I heart Isaac Heeney" tattoos and I found myself thinking "yep, that seems reasonable". Didn't think I'd ever be approving of body art for my offspring!
Just wait until the swans wake up to the possibility and start a swans selective academy breeding program, once Heeney retires and is put out to stud 🤣🤣 Then you'll have a real decision to make as to what seems 'reasonable' hahaha!

Best game of the finals so far.
Why was it put on in the graveyard shift?

AFL have no idea what a Swans Giants game is like.

Great win and credit to the Giants they are the second best team in the finals.

For three quarters it was hard work but eventually the Swans came through.. never in doubt.
It was the 3.20 Saturday game because that is the Swans & Giants preference.

Doesn't clash with the Sydney NRL, few a million more watchers than either on Friday or Saturday nights!

Grows the game in Sydney... I have personally been contact by 5 NRL fans today to say they watched and how brilliant and fast paced the game was.

It's not a slight... its a boost! Sydney is very different to Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth...

I don't get why so many neutral fans hate your club, a strong NSW presence is essential for the future of the AFL/Australian Rules Football.
Neutrals used to love the Swans till Eddie started his decade long campaign of denigrating us.

Human beings have one significant defect. We are very susceptible to mud slinging.

It was the 3.20 Saturday game because that is the Swans & Giants preference.

Doesn't clash with the Sydney NRL, few a million more watchers than either on Friday or Saturday nights!

Grows the game in Sydney... I have personally been contact by 5 NRL fans today to say they watched and how brilliant and fast paced the game was.

It's not a slight... its a boost! Sydney is very different to Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth...
Spot on. While not a marquee slot in modern footy (although I still think Saturday Arvo is the best slot for footy in general - just when the game is meant to be played) - it works well in the Sydney market.. No NRL games for competition at that time, and all eyes on it.

And both teams delivered for the code in Sydney yesterday. A gripping contest that went down to the wire.

Heeneys first 5 minutes of the third quarter should be honored with a bronze statue. I’ve never seen a clinic put on like that at such elite level at such grand impact
Yes.
Bronze statue of him 10’ in the air, floating majestically, ball in one hand, head heading towards the ground.

Make it happen !

He didn't have much in the way of kicks to advantage, that's for sure - but my biggest gripe with Amartey (and to a lesser degree McLean and McDonald) is that I don't think they do enough work to create seperation, and/or present leads enough of the time, especially when we are on the back foot.

Amartey I feel tries too often to rely on either trying to crash a pack, or on trying to beat his opponent on one in a contested marking situation. He can do it - sure. But I think he'd be better served trying to drag his opponents around the ground more, and give himself more chances to mark on the lead.

One thing is not in doubt however. We can't afford for our forward line to be as stagnant and static as they were in the first half yesterday. Far too often there was simply nobody moving in front of the ball. .
Yes, GWS blocked space superbly and made it hard. But we have to do better if we want to win the flag - it's a lot easier to defend when players forward of the ball think 'its all too hard' when things aren't going well, instead of continuing to work, continuing to try and present, and working their defenders over. Yes it drains energy, but it also drains energy from your opponent as well, which in a game plan that clearly has some 'rope a dope' to it is important.

The good thing is it isn't necessarily difficult to fix, and even a 5 to 10 per cent improvment is probably all that is needed to make a real difference.
Excellent post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JMac was average not unexpected given he’s missed 8 weeks. Huge punt bringing him under done.
I totally agree, it was a massive gamble... but I completely understand why...

If he's fit and is just rusty, then the only way to get him up to speed is to play him. Can't play him in the VFL, we didn't make them and they're not hard or fast enough at that level. Can't bring him on as sub, cause you want the sub to make an impact. so you play him and sub him, giving him as much time as you dare... all the while knowing that you have a loss up your sleeve...

In my view, yes it was a gamble... but it was the right call

Out: Jmac
In: Campbell (from sub)
Sub: Fox or Cleary

I guess we found out we shouldn't have played both Jmac and Papley, and worked out which one was most ready by a long stretch. No fault of Jmac, he's such a good player when in good shape. But we have to be ruthless in search of a flag.

Campbell at half forward thanks, a few CBs from the wing to relieve others. Still think he could get a few CBs in the middle.

I think Parker still gets the nod over Adams. He has had quiet games then turned it on in others. You just don't know which Parker or Adams will show up in a game, and Parker is a better forward.

Don't really want Parker and Adams both in the 23 so if the latter comes in, the former should be out of the 23. Unless it's wet, then both in the 23 (Amartey to miss).

One of the greatest individual finals performances ever. Mark of the century as well. But he had a few friends that came along for GHD rude. I thought Lloydy was sensational all game. Rowie was great too. Harry is a big game performer & cut Daniels out.
I will throw up on myself if all of our coaches votes for this game don't come from these players.

Any judgement of Amartey should be shelved until he plays a final fully fit. A stuffed ankle is one of the most limiting of injuries - you can’t jump, you can only run in straight lines, stepping or moving backwards can be fraught with danger and forget twisting.

It was a bloody miracle he got that goal at the end.

I guess we found out we shouldn't have played both Jmac and Papley, and worked out which one was most ready by a long stretch. No fault of Jmac, he's such a good player when in good shape. But we have to be ruthless in search of a flag.

Campbell at half forward thanks, a few CBs from the wing to relieve others. Still think he could get a few CBs in the middle.

I think Parker still gets the nod over Adams. He has had quiet games then turned it on in others. You just don't know which Parker or Adams will show up in a game, and Parker is a better forward.

Don't really want Parker and Adams both in the 23 so if the latter comes in, the former should be out of the 23. Unless it's wet, then both in the 22 (Amartey to miss).
Agree re Parker/ Adams

Unless we come up against the grunty midfield of Brisbane, I can't see Adams being used. His best work throughout the year has been blocking and positioning to free up the quicker mids. Unless he has a direct 1v1 run with shut down role Parker just offers more versatility forward and mid.

I totally agree, it was a massive gamble... but I completely understand why...

If he's fit and is just rusty, then the only way to get him up to speed is to play him. Can't play him in the VFL, we didn't make them and they're not hard or fast enough at that level. Can't bring him on as sub, cause you want the sub to make an impact. so you play him and sub him, giving him as much time as you dare... all the while knowing that you have a loss up your sleeve...

In my view, yes it was a gamble... but it was the right call
I understand what you are saying, but the problem with this is it isn't round 12 where they can simply play him and have enough games to get him up to scratch. Our next game is a do or die clash and we cannot afford to bring in underdone players who will contribute 6 disposals in 3 quarters of footy.

Don't really want Parker and Adams both in the 23 so if the latter comes in, the former should be out of the 23. Unless it's wet, then both in the 23 (Amartey to miss).
Parker took a couple of solid marks and got us fwd of centre a couple of times in the last - he earned his keep.

Jmac needs to make way for Cleary/Adams. Footy is tough sometimes but winning premierships is tougher
There was a stat shown at the beginning of the match of the best wingers in the comp. Gulden was 1st and Jmac was 4th. He needs to be in our 23, he's just rusty

So Braeden was injured, McInerney under done and Mills had gastro. ****en typical Horse lol. It worked out though so that's all that matters.
If you think any club in the league doesn't make the same calls on Braeden and Mills, you're wrong in my view.

McInerney makes us better... if we can get him to +80% of his best by GF, then it's well worth the effort. He has been an unsung hero this year... and is seriously the gun that caesar88 predicted 2 or 3 years ago!

If you think any club in the league doesn't make the same calls on Braeden and Mills, you're wrong in my view.

McInerney makes us better... if we can get him to +80% of his best by GF, then it's well worth the effort. He has been an unsung hero this year... and is seriously the gun that caesar88 predicted 2 or 3 years ago!
Way too much credit there KS! I know plenty of others like Punts, TheMase, Kapers to name a few have been huge fans of McInerney's from the start!

There was a stat shown at the beginning of the match of the best wingers in the comp. Gulden was 1st and Jmac was 4th. He needs to be in our 23, he's just rusty
I’m a big Jmac fan and have watched him closely over the years. He’s an elite runner yes but it took him about a year to get back to his best after the first knee injury.

Don’t think we have enough time. His kicks were more like stabs, he wasn’t kicking through the ball.

Also not much lateral movement / taking defenders on. These are tell tale signs of PCL impact.

I don’t think it’s fitness but more restrictions in recovery.

Hope I’m wrong cos pre injury Jmac was amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back