Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you have preferred play in Mills’s place? Aaron Francis?

While several of our defenders made blues that cost goals, they each showed the mental resilience to move on quickly from those mistakes and treat the next contest/possession on its merits. Mills, Melican, McCartin, Blakey - all had some crucial moments, especially in the final quarter.
I think you move Florent back and bring Adams into the 22

If you think any club in the league doesn't make the same calls on Braeden and Mills, you're wrong in my view.

McInerney makes us better... if we can get him to +80% of his best by GF, then it's well worth the effort. He has been an unsung hero this year... and is seriously the gun that caesar88 predicted 2 or 3 years ago!
I 100% agree. It was more of a tongue in cheek comment based on the previous talk about Horse playing injured players haha.

Jmac definitely makes us better, but it's if he can get back to his best that gets me. I just cant see him getting back to pre injury form in such a short turn around. Obviously I hope I am wrong.

Outrageous game. A few observations other than the top line players for me were:
  • a big second half by Grundy after a quiet first half was very useful. McLean also put in some very good minutes to rest Grundy through the game
  • Logan McDonald physically struggled but his skills at ground level and flicking the ball around with hands to teammates are really good. We need a bigger contest in the air but his play I think will go a little under the radar. Finals aren’t won by tall forwards anymore really but his skills to go with our smalls and mediums are really valuable
  • Roberts looked a touch overawed in his first final. No doubt he’ll be better for it but his disposal was that touch slower and his body work a little less confident
  • a bit speculative this one, but I wonder if this game could be looked back on as the day Parker decided to leave the club. I say that because in the second half Longmire and the coaches injected speed and run into the midfield when the game had to be won. Warner, Gulden, Heeney and Jordon plus Campbell at HF and Lloyd off a wing continuing his excellent game. Seemed Parker was stuck as a forward and didn’t get a lot of midfield time and was off the ground quite a bit (71% TOG). In fact, his TOG went down quarter by quarter from 88% to 82% to 61% to 53%. That’s significant imo. I’m not sure he was wild about that after the game from some, admittedly brief, footage and shots I saw of him. May well be reading too much into it, but it felt like a passing of the guard where once Parker would be relied upon and called upon to go to the middle to get us back on track but Longmire went elsewhere.
Good observations

I wonder if team balance is better if Parker comes on as sub (maybe with Adams to start). I think in that situation Parker’s freshness could mean his lack of pace is less of an issue and he can use his power to make an impact around the ball.

Our start was fine intensity was insane you barely had time to dispose of the ball problem was between the 2nd-3rd quarter

Rewatch our ground territory and contest was equally as good as the Giants they just had Hogan in career best form
In recent weeks, our poor starts have been due to poor finishing rather than poor intensity.

I’m a big Jmac fan and have watched him closely over the years. He’s an elite runner yes but it took him about a year to get back to his best after the first knee injury.

Don’t think we have enough time. His kicks were more like stabs, he wasn’t kicking through the ball.

Also not much lateral movement / taking defenders on. These are tell tale signs of PCL impact.

I don’t think it’s fitness but more restrictions in recovery.

Hope I’m wrong cos pre injury Jmac was amazing.
There was also a play near the start where he went a half hearted bump rather than tackle, like he couldn’t turn his body / trust his knee.

If he is till injured and not just rusty, he shouldn’t be playing no matter how good he is when fit.

That said, it may have been confidence rather than actual injury, so who knows outside those inside the club…

There was also a play near the start where he went a half hearted bump rather than tackle, like he couldn’t turn his body / trust his knee.

If he is till injured and not just rusty, he shouldn’t be playing no matter how good he is when fit.

That said, it may have been confidence rather than actual injury, so who knows outside those inside the club…
Said to my daughter quite early on that he was favouring his knee. He wasn't confident in it.

I have been watching the game back & what hit me was the amount of scragging they & throws they were allowed to get away with. For most of the match Chad & Errol spent their time with their opponents arms around them. This is holding the man & should be a free kick. Jordan does not do this as if he does, a free against. The Giants backs were also allowed to hold Amartey & McLean out of the contest but if we did it we got penalised.

They were allowed to throw just like a NRL 5 8. Every so called handball coming out of a pack was a throw. The commentary was so biased to the AFL Owned Club it was unreal. They have been told by head office to promote Giants & Suns. This year the talk about both has been sickening. They are both owned by the AFL. This should be illegal. I am sure the other clubs are not happy about the amount of concessions these two clubs still enjoy due to their original extra playing lists & priority drafts.

They keep getting 4-5 first round picks. This does not even up the comp. It makes it more biased toward the two new clubs. Tassie is not getting extra lust places as Giants & Suns have had (in fact Suns got a second package in the last 5 years). They come in with the same list value as all other teams. But get several first & second round picks. They also get priority on any Tasmanian at another club that wishes to play for them. I suggest that could be a few. Don't draft a Tassie boy if you don't want to lose him in 3 years.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

We are the best team in the comp despite having one of the least damaging forward lines in the comp.

I'd actually argue we have a very damaging forward line, we just have the least damaging key forwards. Papley, Hayward, Heeney, Parker, few others reliably kick a bag.

It’s the ones that slip and brush the shoulder that shit me.

I can’t understand why they can’t have an allowance for incidental contact where it doesn’t impact the players ability to contest the ball, it would make for a much better game.
The GWS players would bend the knee to draw the free, which I thought was illegal, and then throw their arms up. The umpires I am sure were briefed to give this to GWS players & GWS players knew this. Two umpires did not give one free to us all night. One even gave three GWS frees in front of goal by half time. Yet when the same thing happened at the other end, no free. Umm. One umpire was keeping us in frees. He was the only impartial one but there. He refused to give a free at one stage but was overturned by the umpire up upfield, who could not have seen the action correctly & another free in front of goal to the team the AFL owns. Every commentator & special comments team said it was a terrible decision that cost us a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are the best team in the comp despite having one of the least damaging forward lines in the comp.
It can be a strength. Look at teams like Carlton. It is Curnow and McKay or bust. I'd be quitely confident we have had the most individual players have a game with 3+ goals in the league this season

There’s a long form line after the 9 goal game.

And it isn’t strong.

We’re winning & Horse is unlikely to mess with a winning combo - but to my eye, Armatey has been disappointing for a few months now.

Here’s hoping the prelim is when he decides to party once more.
He had a turned ankle before this game. He was held out of the contest & blocked for most of the night. He couldn't get on the lead because Buckley or whoever was on him held him to stop the lead. McLean similar. McDonald was blocked every time he went to lead. They just put a player in front of him. These tactics are illegal but they were allowed to do what they wanted because at least two umpires would not give us frees. Curtis Deboy & Rampe have history, the infamous 'you talk like a girl comment from Rampe'

Cunningham gets taken high & Curtis Deboy refuses to give a free. He is an effing cheat.

Last edited:
Papley and Toby Greene get fined for qtr time wrestling ($1250 early plea)

Nobody else got sanctioned

Maybe Heeney should start sub and tell the others to see what they can do before he comes in
Geez imagine that. That would be hilarious. And going with horses normal plan, he shouldn’t come on til 5 minutes before the end. So the opposition coaches would be blind sided when he comes on at the 2 minute mark of second quarter. That’ll f..k em 🤣🤪

Papley and Toby Greene get fined for qtr time wrestling ($1250 early plea)

Nobody else got sanctioned
Paps should have given him a bigger hit lol. The effing little thug deserves everything he gets. Paps absolutely flogged him. They come from the same district so, would know each other

Never heard of this until now. Just watched and really enjoyed it! I know people have issues with Caro and Kelli but I thought this was a really good natured vibe.
Caro, Kelli,& the other bloke were great. - but Masters is just silly old man trying to stay relevant

And what did Jason McCartney get? Caro said this morning that he shouldn’t be on the field and has form.

Yeah didn't realise he had priors, should cop it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back