Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

People treat him like some wise old sage, but all I see is someone banging on like a scratched record, with barely concealed resentment about how the superior spectacle of Aussie Rules has made inroads in NSW and QLD at the expense of his beloved rugby league.

I’d rather he just came out and said he effing hates Aussie Rules.
<
Yeah, but we can't afford to be mean to the McCartney family.
Why?

Yeah, but we can't afford to be mean to the McCartney family.
I was just going to ask why, then remembered that it's Jason McCartneys son that is in our academy isn't it? And he looks to be a bit of a gun, yes?

Never heard of this until now. Just watched and really enjoyed it! I know people have issues with Caro and Kelli but I thought this was a really good natured vibe.
It’s just Masters, considering he’s is married to Elaine Canty who has been involved within the AFL, clearly he can’t bag the game at home (fearing possible food poisoning) but always has a dig on Offsiders. He’s a stupid old man & sure I’m only 20 years younger than him, but geez he gets on my titts.

I was just going to ask why, then remembered that it's Jason McCartneys son that is in our academy isn't it? And he looks to be a bit of a gun, yes?
Oh is that why. Still poor form from Him if he’s wanting the swans to look after his son, he doesn’t run the show.

How do they fix the lack of input from McLean and Amartey going to hopefully the next 2 games?
I notice they both tend to mis read the drop of the ball and the contested marking dropping off a cliff needs to be fixed.

How do they fix the lack of input from McLean and Amartey going to hopefully the next 2 games?
I notice they both tend to mis read the drop of the ball and the contested marking dropping off a cliff needs to be fixed.
Can't be fixed in a fortnight, but as of next year, Amartey needs to use his athleticism to get out on a lead and provide a target. At the moment he stays put and waits for the ball to be dropped on his head.

If he does that, he'll create more space for McLean 1-on-1 where a genuine marking context actually is his strength.

It can be a strength. Look at teams like Carlton. It is Curnow and McKay or bust. I'd be quitely confident we have had the most individual players have a game with 3+ goals in the league this season
I think you’re right.

We are the best team because we have the most damaging midfield, who kick plenty of goals.

When we have to rely on our tall forwards by bombing it in, we become ordinary.

Can't be fixed in a fortnight, but as of next year, Amartey needs to use his athleticism to get out on a lead and provide a target. At the moment he stays put and waits for the ball to be dropped on his head.

And put his freaking arms up, since the Adelaide game I can count on one hand the amount of times he's tried for an over head mark instead of a chest mark. Frustrating

If he does that, he'll create more space for McLean 1-on-1 where a genuine marking context actually is his strength.

I wonder how intelligent Tommy is. He spoiled Melican when he needed to protect him.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I love him as a player and a big defender. When he is in a contested situation where he can just use his brute strength to out-muscle someone, or when he has time to set up and read the play, he can be great.

But I would have him in our 3 least smart players.

There were so many great individual plays that I think lost in them all was Logan McDonald's intercept mark and then launch from 50 on the run. Tough angle and also under severe pressure, getting tackled whilst he kicked it, and it still sailed through like a bullet.

Physicality is still an issue as I'm sure he'd be the first to admit, but no doubt he has real class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love him as a player and a big defender. When he is in a contested situation where he can just use his brute strength to out-muscle someone, or when he has time to set up and read the play, he can be great.

But I would have him in our 3 least smart players.
That awful stuff up just needed someone to call for it. Was just a bad moment in a big match - they happen!

Looking at Heeney’s screamer for the umpteenth time, it’s clear that one of the reasons he didn’t cannon headfirst into the turf (and possibly end up a quadriplegic) and instead performed a copybook safe roll, is because Jack Buckley, the guy he jumped on top of, is holding Isaac’s wrist on the way down, making it much easier for Heens to flip over.

I reckon a box of chocolates and a bottle of bubbly ought to be headed Buckley’s way from Heens, with a nice thankyou note.

Looking at Heeney’s screamer for the umpteenth time, it’s clear that one of the reasons he didn’t cannon headfirst into the turf (and possibly end up a quadriplegic) and instead performed a copybook safe roll, is because Jack Buckley, the guy he jumped on top of, is holding Isaac’s wrist on the way down, making it much easier for Heens to flip over.

I reckon a box of chocolates and a bottle of bubbly ought to be headed Buckley’s way from Heens, with a nice thankyou note.
Yeah, all class from Buckley and also unbelievable awareness. Gained a lot of respect for him.

Heeney acknowledged this when interviewed after the game and even said Buckley APOLOGISED to him afterwards too (I'm not sure why, he couldn't have done anything more to protect Heeney).

Could have been very if not for Buckley's awareness and quick thinking.

that's what i was just thinking ... if we accept the 50m arc is 50m (and we surely do), heeney looks to be at least 20m outside it ...
but it's still incredible that it was heeney, after what he'd already done to that point, who was still running at that pace to get in position to support papley and then have the skill to make that kick from that far out ...
I was on the other side of the ground. I was convinced he was kicking it for his teammate (Logan?) to run into, and then the ball just kept on going.

Yeah, all class from Buckley and also unbelievable awareness. Gained a lot of respect for him.

Heeney acknowledged this when interviewed after the game and even said Buckley APOLOGISED to him afterwards too (I'm not sure why, he couldn't have done anything more to protect Heeney).

Could have been very if not for Buckley's awareness and quick thinking.
I think Buckley first accidentally contributed to the forward motion, and then had the awareness and good spirit to help make sure Heeney finished it.

that's what i was just thinking ... if we accept the 50m arc is 50m (and we surely do), heeney looks to be at least 20m outside it ...
but it's still incredible that it was heeney, after what he'd already done to that point, who was still running at that pace to get in position to support papley and then have the skill to make that kick from that far out ...
David King showed a small package of clips in the post match coverage of Heeney running to support in a very similar part of the ground during other thrusts forward. He wasn’t used in those others, but King was making the observation that, for all his amazing skill, it’s Heeney’s work rate that most defines him.

David King showed a small package of clips in the post match coverage of Heeney running to support in a very similar part of the ground during other thrusts forward. He wasn’t used in those others, but King was making the observation that, for all his amazing skill, it’s Heeney’s work rate that most defines him.

even when he was being criticised in past seasons for inconsistency, his running and work rate were always cited ...

Our three tall forwards need to study how Papley not only brought the ball to ground in a two-on-one (with one of those being Taylor), but went on to win the ball and set up the play. If Paps can do it with his physique, then those three have no excuses.

Of the three, I am generally most confident in Amartey to make a contest - but all three to need to substantially increase their intensity at the contest and will themselves to deliver the outcome needed. They need to elevate their games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back