Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the replay and are you kidding me with Heeney's start to the third quarter?

3 contested possessions, a smother, mark of the decade, got his face caved in by Briggs' head, mark, and goal.... IN THE FIRST 3 MINUTES

Just insane.

Yep morphed into Buddy and Dusty in different quarters!

The Swans were very much trying to manufacture a 50’for Papley at the end of the quarter.

So the umps were saying there is no 50 for time wasting as it isn’t a factor as the ball wasn’t returned quickly. Then GWS returned it to a different player.

I’m trying to work out what scenario gets a 50 after the siren then (going over the mark of course). Can you kick the ball 50 meters away in the wrong direction and waste as much time as you want.

I don’t think a 50 was warranted but just seemed a strange explanation at the time.
I agree. When it happened my brother raised a good point. What if the forward 50 area was empty and Papley wanted to kick it in quickly for it to potentially bounce through for a goal? There was "time wasting" even though the siren had gone.

Also after a goal is scored, if a player is knocked down they are given another shot at goal. There is also no time wasting in this instance, however the free kick is still paid.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm getting at. If we make another GF we are not winning with 3 talls.
Really? Teams shut us down in the air, we need to compete.

The teams which have done best against us stop us coming out of our 50. Normally it's when we cannot compete in the air. They're not the best talls but we'll be nothing without them

Really? Teams shut us down in the air, we need to compete.

The teams which have done best against us stop us coming out of our 50. Normally it's when we cannot compete in the air. They're not the best talls but we'll be nothing without them
They play keepings off. Don't let us win clearance and don't let us move the ball cleanly from D50

Same way to stop the mid 2010 Hawks

You would literally have to king hit someone to get suspended in a final.
maynard wink GIF by CollingwoodFC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd sell a few souls to get Sam Taylor into our backline. What a gun.
Yes this local rivalry will really be embedded once we start poaching a few guns from each other.

Who’s crossed over so far?

Giants got Mumford, Jed Lamb

We’ve got Leon Cameron

Didn’t Paul Kelly work for the Giants for a bit?

We got Buddy, but he was more stolen from the AFL LOL.

Stevie J.

We both got Sam Reid 🤪

Keep Harry.
Keep all our lads.
We just beat them, not the other way around.
Melican, McCartin, Cunningham were all great. Mills will be better with something in his stomach. Blakey did some good things and has had a great year. Sir Dane is Toby's kryptonite and has the best hair in football.

I'm not swapping one our guys out for any of theirs.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm getting at. If we make another GF we are not winning with 3 talls.
Why? We went okay against three of the best backmen in the business on Saturday. Who were Collingwoods three dominant talls last year?
Whilst our three forwards aren't the great power forwards we'd like, opposition backmen have to keep on them which allows our smalls and mids to run riot.
It's worked okay all season, why change now?

Really nice coverage of the game on AFL360. Gerard being at the game was all in - Robbo will keep the home fires burning for the G & Vic lol
I note that Whately said the "quiet bit" out loud: that NSW, or the Swans/Giants, weren't trusted to be worthy of one of the prime time spots in the first week of the finals.

From a whole-finals series scheduling point of view it actually does make a lot of sense to fixture the first qualifying final (ie 1st vs 4th) on the Saturday so that breaks between games for the rest of the series are fairly even. And I understand why it made sense to play at night in Brisbane (and even prefer the afternoon slot for us from a personal POV). But it remains a fact that if next year's first qualifying final features, say, Collingwood vs Carlton, there is no way it is going to be played on a Saturday afternoon.

And they tried to same on Heens and still couldn't keep up - they need to work harder at breaking their tags and getting involved.
Maybe. Or maybe the team effort required to keep Gulden and Warner and Blakey contained for three quarters contributed to the Giants being worn out by three quarter time.

Yes, it would be nice if Warner and Gulden could break the shackles a bit sooner in the next match-up. And no, we can't rely on Heeney being superman every week. Pretty good, yes, but not that at that stratospheric level.

But despite GWS being well on top in contested possession and ball movement in the first half, they struggled to score heavily. Yes, they did miss two gimmes, but they also got two shots from blatant ducks, and the obvious high contact on Cunningham in the first Ward goal was ignored.

We have scope for improvement from avenues other than just Warner and Gulden, though we know what they're capable of it they can work through the tags a bit sooner. I thought Florent was well down on recent weeks, though he had some useful touches in the final quarter. JMac's readiness to play has already been discussed. And even a modest collective-IQ boost to our backline would have cut out a couple of goals the Giants did kick.

Did lol at this part.
I confess I don’t know how you stop the McCartin Melican catastrophe. It felt like watching a car wreck in slow motion from my vantage point. I even screamed out “don’t both go for it!” Would have been a straightforward, uncontested mark for either, and they were both running with their eyes totally on the ball.

It’s not relevant to this situation, but I hate the oft-applied rule that taking your eyes off the ball for a tiny moment puts you at risk of being called for a block if there’s an opponent coming the other way. We want players to protect themselves, not be reckless.

We’re actually very fortunate that all the incident cost was a goal. It could easily have been two key defenders off the ground with concussion, and neither available for an inevitable semi-final this weekend.

Watching the replay and are you kidding me with Heeney's start to the third quarter?

3 contested possessions, a smother, mark of the decade, got his face caved in by Briggs' head, mark, and goal.... IN THE FIRST 3 MINUTES

Just insane.
Yep, even at the ground, I kept saying "that's Heeney again!". It felt like he was everywhere and doing everything.

I confess I don’t know how you stop the McCartin Melican catastrophe. It felt like watching a car wreck in slow motion from my vantage point. I even screamed out “don’t both go for it!” Would have been a straightforward, uncontested mark for either, and they were both running with their eyes totally on the ball.

It’s not relevant to this situation, but I hate the oft-applied rule that taking your eyes off the ball for a tiny moment puts you at risk of being called for a block if there’s an opponent coming the other way. We want players to protect themselves, not be reckless.

We’re actually very fortunate that all the incident cost was a goal. It could easily have been two key defenders off the ground with concussion, and neither available for an inevitable semi-final this weekend.
I felt like I was back at a childhood Christmas panto screaming "look behind you! look behind you!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Im still shaking are you? One of the great Final comebacks! 6 point winners over GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back