Injury Injury thread 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Its almost like WC were targeting certain players to play roles and fill vacancies in the team.
Speaking of which, and this may not be in the most appropriate thread, but I heard on AFL Tonight I think it was that we're interested in David Myers from the Bombers...any thoughts? He's got a good left boot on him, originally from Perth.

Speaking of which, and this may not be in the most appropriate thread, but I heard on AFL Tonight I think it was that we're interested in David Myers from the Bombers...any thoughts? He's got a good left boot on him, originally from Perth.

A big bodied mid with good kicking skills coming to his prime (26 yo) that's from Perth and probably unhappy with the club he is at?

Can't see why we would be interested in him.

When a player leaves the field to receive a "jab" what exact drug are they being injected with?
Likely a mixture of cortisone (a steroid to reduce inflammation - longer acting) and lignocaine (anaesthetic agent which is very short acting - the stuff they inject into a laceration before stitching it up)

A big bodied mid with good kicking skills coming to his prime (26 yo) that's from Perth and probably unhappy with the club he is at?

Can't see why we would be interested in him.
My point being some people on here might think he is a spud, but from what I've seen (which is not a lot given I've not got Foxtel) he'd be a decent pick-up.

Myers is an atomic level spud. Don't want!
This is my point, I haven't seen enough of him to provide a valuable opinion on him...so is he a spud because of Essendon's general spudliness since the whole supplements saga began? Or is he just a 13 possession gets-in-the-way kind of one-trick pony (kicking a goal or two a month from outside 50)? I could invest time and look at his stats on footywire but, maybe later.

This is my point, I haven't seen enough of him to provide a valuable opinion on him...so is he a spud because of Essendon's general spudliness since the whole supplements saga began? Or is he just a 13 possession gets-in-the-way kind of one-trick pony (kicking a goal or two a month from outside 50)? I could invest time and look at his stats on footywire but, maybe later.

Seems Masten like. More inside focused.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems Masten like. More inside focused.
Myers was a very good junior, and in his early years at the dons, he showed a lot. He, somehow, has lost his way bit since then, whether it has been the drugs saga or not, I don't know, but I would be willing to give him another go at it with us. Bennell is turning things around, and people said Cripps was a spud when we got him from the saints - turned out a winner.

Myers was a very good junior, and in his early years at the dons, he showed a lot. He, somehow, has lost his way bit since then, whether it has been the drugs saga or not, I don't know, but I would be willing to give him another go at it with us. Bennell is turning things around, and people said Cripps was a spud when we got him from the saints - turned out a winner.

He basically comes for nothing. We have a few spuds on our list so replacing one of them with a solid AFL ready player seems fairly decent.

I havent seen too much of myers to judge him but his stats for an inside player to be honest isnt that great. If he understands (and is happy) that he will be a depth. Then i think we should get him to beef up or depth. Personally i am for beefing up our depth and like i said in another thread, luring a players around 21-26 from another club as a depth player is a better idea as not only will these guys serve the purpose of being depth in the short term but also are likely to develop and improve their game. Myers will 28 next season and hasnt played a full season since 2014 (just 2 games last year), which means that he basically hasnt played AFL for 2 years.

Also it seems that a lot of mature age players from reserves leagues these days come in and do well from they step in the club. We need more players like Hutch (preferably guys a bit more versatile and skill).

I havent seen too much of myers to judge him but his stats for an inside player to be honest isnt that great. If he understands (and is happy) that he will be a depth. Then i think we should get him to beef up or depth. Personally i am for beefing up our depth and like i said in another thread, luring a players around 21-26 from another club as a depth player is a better idea as not only will these guys serve the purpose of being depth in the short term but also are likely to develop and improve their game. Myers will 28 next season and hasnt played a full season since 2014 (just 2 games last year), which means that he basically hasnt played AFL for 2 years.

Also it seems that a lot of mature age players from reserves leagues these days come in and do well from they step in the club. We need more players like Hutch (preferably guys a bit more versatile and skill).
I disagree completely, all this does is prevent our younger players from getting opportunities. If we'd had Myers last year then chances are Duggan wouldn't have played nearly as much.

I disagree completely, all this does is prevent our younger players from getting opportunities. If we'd had Myers last year then chances are Duggan wouldn't have played nearly as much.
I disagree, we knew duggan was something special from the day he walked in and hence why debut earlier but a guy like myers would have pushed out duggan from the side much earlier when his formed dropped, which might have been a good thing for duggan.

I disagree, we knew duggan was something special from the day he walked in and hence why debut earlier but a guy like myers would have pushed out duggan from the side much earlier when his formed dropped, which might have been a good thing for duggan.
Again, disagree completely. I'd rather play a young player with potential (within reason + rest breaks) all year than have an average player keep them out of the side.

Again, disagree completely. I'd rather play a young player with potential (within reason + rest breaks) all year than have an average player keep them out of the side.
i would agree with that statement if we were a bottom of the ladder or mid table side but we were clearly a contender last season and it wouldn't have been too bad for duggan to be in and out of the side as he gets exposure to AFL in his first year and he also know what it takes to play at the highest level and will generally be more ready to play in his second season. Which i beleive has happened to duggan now as well and he has already eclipsed hutchings.

i would agree with that statement if we were a bottom of the ladder or mid table side but we were clearly a contender last season and it wouldn't have been too bad for duggan to be in and out of the side as he gets exposure to AFL in his first year and he also know what it takes to play at the highest level and will generally be more ready to play in his second season. Which i beleive has happened to duggan now as well and he has already eclipsed hutchings.
That's the thing though, Duggan was quiet in a couple of games but I still think he was better or as good last year than Myers would have been. He's just another list clogger, will start out on the list as depth at about 25th, within a couple of years he'll be in our bottom 10 because players with more potential will move past him. Bringing over average players who realistically won't (or shouldn't) make our best 22 is the Ross Lyon method of list building, it just fills the list with shitty players and prevents the younger players from getting a game.
I'm all for bringing in players from other teams, but only if they're going to improve our best 22, someone like Zaharakis for example if we want to look at Essendon players.

That's the thing though, Duggan was quiet in a couple of games but I still think he was better or as good last year than Myers would have been. He's just another list clogger, will start out on the list as depth at about 25th, within a couple of years he'll be in our bottom 10 because players with more potential will move past him. Bringing over average players who realistically won't (or shouldn't) make our best 22 is the Ross Lyon method of list building, it just fills the list with shitty players and prevents the younger players from getting a game.
I'm all for bringing in players from other teams, but only if they're going to improve our best 22, someone like Zaharakis for example if we want to look at Essendon players.
yeah thats why i didn't say myers (myers type=depth) but at 21-26 theres a few decent players at other clubs that good enough to be depth players but have enough to devlopment left in them to become pretty good players. Jed Anderson comes to mind as one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Injury thread 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back