Ins and Outs against the Bulldogs ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Ins + Outs against the Bulldogs

There is no easy answer to this question.
I have been giving myself headaches trying to work it out.

Young provides carry and run with the ball, and provides insurance when Bateman or Crawford have quiet games.

Dew provides good decision making, has classic disposal, and provides strength. He often breaks through tackles which will be important come the pressure of finals.

Murphy gets the tough assignments on nullifying an opposition star forward. He has been taking strong marks in defence and is looking better with each game.

Ellis has tricks and has shown serious development this year.

To make things even worse, I am sure the Hawthorn brainstrust are trying to find a way to get Stokes into the team (as well as Crawford), especially when we play the Bulldogs and Geelong who have gifted midfielders. Stokes, Rioli, Brown and Osborne (All of whom have above average pace) will be required to provide the constant pressure to harras the opposition into coughing up possession.

Even Renouf provides serious tackling pressure, and I am not entirely certain Taylor has locked down the second ruck spot.

Crawford still warrants a game through his form this year, and isn't being carried! He is one of our players who constantly breaks the lines.

Some poor sod will miss out! However, it may come down to a 'horses for courses' approach where each week our lineup could be different.

Our depth will cause more intrigue at the selection table next year, and by no means have we established our best 22. Dowler, Thorp, Renouf, Tuck, McGlynn, Morton etc are going to press hard next year.

The good new is that Hawthon will only get better from here.

Do you know what??

I'm going to go with no changes, unless Mad Dog really has done an ankle. He lives with Buddy and Jordan Lewis, about 25 houses around the corner. Who dares me to go an knock to get the info????:eek:

Stalk much? :D

For me, out Renouf, in Tails.

Murphy, Goo and Ladson must all play. Crawf only to come in if there is an injury

I heard on the Sunday footy show that Campbell Brown has a sore ankle, and might miss this week.

All the mid 30's aged male neighbours come out at about 7am on training days, to watch beautiful young girls with their skirts on backwards trying to put their stilletos on whilst not tripping over, getting pushed out the front door.

There's about 20 of us that meet now on a regular basis at the coffee shop on the corner to watch!

Beats Foxtel:thumbsu:

All the mid 30's aged male neighbours come out at about 7am on training days, to watch beautiful young girls with their skirts on backwards trying to put their stilletos on whilst not tripping over, getting pushed out the front door.

There's about 20 of us that meet now on a regular basis at the coffee shop on the corner to watch!

Beats Foxtel:thumbsu:

Lucky you, hmmm some of us are married and cant have that much enjoyment.....:(

Ins: Crawford, Taylor and Stokes
Out: Dew, Renouf and Williams

Stokes will only come in if Williams doesn't pull up well. I've been hearing that Willliams got injured during the game.

I have not heard why Stokes was replaced on Sat. Can anyone tell me please?

Interesting discussion on this thread.

All of the candidates to be dropped and/or included seem to have their fans and detractors.

Maybe we should just discuss what we think the selectors WILL do as opposed to what we think they SHOULD do.

Hard calls are made at finals time, but given recent trends in selection I am going to play it safe and suggest they WILL drop Young and Renouf assuming no injuries or suspensions.

This is not necessarily what I would do, but what I would do is irrelevant because I aint the coach!!

Keep Renouf in the side! He has been very impressive and is very hard at it! Compliments Robbie very well!

Crawf will definately come in.. Either Young or Murphy will be very stiff to be dropped!

I think there will be minimal changes, as has been the case most of the season. Taylor will most likely return for Renouf, who looks promising but under finals pressure will not be not quite ready. The only other problem, as has been the main talking point / assumption in this thread is how to fit in Crawf. I think Ellis will be the likely sacrificial lamb. We lose his composure compared to Crawf (who at the moment makes very poor choices by hand), but in Crawf we gain a player with more run than Xavier. Suggestions of dropping Guerra are, frankly, ludicrous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Renouf
In: Taylor

That's pretty much a given

In: Crawford
Out: Dew/Brown (Inj)

Is the other potential change

Interestingly Damien Hardwicke recently said that Crawford WILL come in but only went so far as to say Taylor and Stokes are available. So clearly they are thinking about thge second ruck position.

I somehow think in the end they will be conservative and Taylor will come in for Renouf.

Assuming no injuries and given that Crawf WILL come in then my guess is Young will make way for him. Personally I believe Dew should be rested but all the signs are that he is considered important at this time of year by the selection committee.

I think there will be minimal changes, as has been the case most of the season. Taylor will most likely return for Renouf, who looks promising but under finals pressure will not be not quite ready. The only other problem, as has been the main talking point / assumption in this thread is how to fit in Crawf. I think Ellis will be the likely sacrificial lamb. We lose his composure compared to Crawf (who at the moment makes very poor choices by hand), but in Crawf we gain a player with more run than Xavier. Suggestions of dropping Guerra are, frankly, ludicrous.

The point is can crawf provide run for 4 quarters ?

I am struggling to see a matchup for Croady in the Dogs forward line. Down in Launceston against them he spent a fair bit of time on the bench because there was no matchup for him.

Not suggesting for a minute that he won't play but if he is excess to requirements it's like we're playing one short.

In: Crawford
Out: Williams (if inj.)/Dew

I thought Stewie was quite ordinary on Saturday night. Tried to kick off one step all the time, slipped over, couldn't get around anyone, and clearly hasn't the foot speed to keep up at the higher intensity of finals footy, particularly against the Dogs who will try to play uncontested flowing footy all day.

Keep Renouf, he was good, and Tails will just have to wait his turn. Untimely injury no doubt.

Anyone who says Ellis should be omitted is clearly living in an alternate reality where mind-altering drugs are the staple diet.

originally posted by hawkheart Re: Ins + Outs against the Bulldogs

Nowhere near as ridiculous as suggestions of dropping Ellis!!!! Have people actually watched his last 5/6 games??? Guerra is a liability defensively and if Hodge is going to play down back then I'm not sure we need Goo...In saying that I think it is far more likely that Crawf will come in for Murphy or Young. Looking at the Dogs forward line Murphy will probably be required for a job on one of their mid-sized forwards, so I think the most likely scenario is that Young will miss out. He would be extremely stiff, but it shows how much depth we have...

Taylor (if fit) will replace Renouf. If he isn't fit than Renouf will handle himself well.

originally posted by Buddy the Brave Re: Ins + Outs against the Bulldogs

I am struggling to see a matchup for Croady in the Dogs forward line. Down in Launceston against them he spent a fair bit of time on the bench because there was no matchup for him.

Not suggesting for a minute that he won't play but if he is excess to requirements it's like we're playing one short.

Excellent Post!!!!!

Although I don't think it would be Croady that would miss....Maybe Gilham might come under fire??? Just from a pure match-up perspective...Gee it's a tough call.

IN Crawford
OUT Williams (corked buttock)

Crawf to the forward line

Every possibility he will not play this week..He pulled up very sore.
Browny said in an interview on Sat night that someone had stood on his foot. Don't know where that dill Hutchison got his info from, stating that he has ligament damage and won't play this week..They seem to know more than the coaches!!
Dew was seen limping out of the stadium on Sat night.He may not be fit enough this week..Would possibly make the selection a little easier..
Question from MB:

It was due to illness.I presume it was that wretched virus going through the club.5 players have contracted it so far, apparently!

I'm not an expert on the Doggies, but I'd say that Croad would probably play on Will Minson.

Official word is that Stokes had an illness.

For mine, Young didn't do enough to keep his place. Apart from his brilliant pass to Hodge and his excellent tackle on Judd (which was rightly rewarded), I'm struggling to remember a lot of what he did.

One year ago, Crawf kept us in the hunt against the Crows with a brilliant first half. He was rested to ensure that he had fitness against the Dogs. Should he not play, then we get through to the preliminary straight away, Crawf would be looking at no game time for three weeks. That's not ideal preparation for the preliminary and I believe that the club will take Crawf's experience and example over Young's run and carry.

Taylor was rested to get his body right for the finals. We've had the luxury to rest both Campbell and Taylor in the fortnight before the finals and while Twister did a great job in the ruck, if Hudson is right to play, I think Clarkson will want the stronger physical presence of Campbell and Taylor to match up with Hudson and Minson, than Renouf. However, Taylor will be sweating nervously over the game Renouf played.

So, for mine, it is as follows:

Ins - Crawford, Taylor
Outs - Young, Renouf

However, if Williams and/or Brown are not right to play, then Young will keep his place and Crawf will go to the forward line to play a defensive forward role probably on Gilbee, somewhat akin to Vandenberg's stopping job on McLeod last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ins and Outs against the Bulldogs ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back