Game Day Intraclub Match thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to agree that Sic is better used back despite the fact we are crying out for someone who can take a contested mark in the forward 50. Agree with those who previously suggested Brand go forward. Imo Lewis is still a year or two off the pace.

Brand Bio when drafted by us:

DOB: 08/04/1994
Height: 198cm
Position: Forward
Weight: 84kg

Bio: Tall and athletic forward with excellent power, and explosive speed. His agility, awareness of where to lead and contested marking ability make him a dangerous target up forward. Has had an excellent season at Colts level highlighted by a season best 6 goals and 18 possessions vs North Adelaide in Round 4, also played 3 games in the Reserves.
Thanks Milkshaker. Good to know I'm not the only one wanting some re-Branding.

Was disappointed with Joness size having not seen him last year and the promising preseason reports. Not much of him. He is a lot further off than I was hoping. Not dimissing his prospects but hard to see him featuring too much this year as I was hoping based on training reports.

As for Scrimshaw shit he was impressive. One piece of play near the far wing in front of us took a handball receive charged at a tackler knowing he could not escape stood up in the tackle, another tackler grabbed him and before you knew it had flicked out a handball to Dylan Moore who possibly even quicker than Scrim fired a handball to a runner. Moves really well should see seniors this year.

Why did he handball it to the runner?

Does it really matter? Burgoyne plays wherever heā€™s needed. From all reports, he hasnā€™t lost much pace and is naturally elusive, and has the smarts that the average player lacks. The old ā€œin case of emergency ......ā€ hopefully still applies. Simply an amazing player!
I just think itā€™s complimentary that when Burgoyne is mentioned that ā€˜amazingā€™, ā€˜classyā€™ or ā€˜silkyā€™ appears in the following sentences if not all 3 of those words.

Now where exactly is that 2016 Hawthorn draft disaster thread on the MB...?:think::think::think::think:

Yeah we totally stuffed the 2016 draft with our first pick ending up at 74. Total stuff up. We did these desperate trades for draft picks with St Kilda (now thereā€™s a sharp recruiting club) and other clubs to get a valuable 10 pick. We apparently paid well over value for those trades. In fact we were ridiculed (Cornes - ā€œworst trade everā€).

Ended up with 2 fellas - Mitchell and Oā€™Meara.

Picking up Luke Meadows could be a big win for us. Much the same as S.Menegola and T.Kelly for the Cats, Barlow for Freo, A.Miles for Richmond etc I'm sure I've forgotten a few others. Ed Curnow as someone mentioned earlier.

All being selected as mature-aged recruits, and doing very well for their clubs (for 1 or 2 years at least).

Here's hoping for a similar start at the Hawks if we did pick him up.
Only 24. Hopefully more than one or two if we nab him

On Meadows, just remember most of the guys are running around at 80%-90% during intras. Luke was taking his opportunity and giving 100% (just not hurting people) as he should. If he turns out like a T.Kelly that would be amazing. Next step for Luke is to show it again against Carlton. And because its valentines day, 2019futuremids4mp.jpg ball4mp.jpg bigfooty4mp.jpg goallllll4mp.jpg Liam$mp.jpg lots2love4mp.jpg lots4mp.jpg lotstolove4mp.jpg meads13.4mp.jpg Miles4mp.jpg let me show you some love with more photos (I only have 800 of em).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My best memory for the numbers of the BHH players was:
34 Blue - Walker: 11 Orange - Mullinger McHugh; 11 Blue - Mascitti; 14 Orange - Moore; 13 Blue - Meadows ; 13 Blue - Mackie; 20 Orange - Cucinotta. Some players changed numbers and I'm happy to be corrected.

On Meadows, just remember most of the guys are running around at 80%-90% during intras. Luke was taking his opportunity and giving 100% (just not hurting people) as he should. If he turns out like a T.Kelly that would be amazing. Next step for Luke is to show it again against Carlton. And because its valentines day,View attachment 619610View attachment 619611View attachment 619612View attachment 619613View attachment 619614View attachment 619615View attachment 619616View attachment 619617View attachment 619618View attachment 619619 let me show you some love with more photos (I only have 800 of em).

It's almost like the 'Hawthorne Effect' is being applied to a possible 'Hawthorn Recruit!

Countering your point that others are going at 80%-90% is that the majority of them are professional athletes & have been for years whereas he's been a hard working semi-pro for that time.

If his performance should be scaled in a lesser light because guys are going easier in the contest in a scratchy, perhaps it should be re-scaled (upward) given that he's effectively a semi-pro playing against professionals.

Those guys are holding back 10%-20% because it's pre-season, but what % latent improvement does he have in 2019 simply by being in a truly high-performance environment?

I get & agree with your point, that our excitement should be tempered, but (IMO) it's also valid as we should see immediate improvement from him, simply through opportunity & assistance.

It's almost like the 'Hawthorne Effect' is being applied to a possible 'Hawthorn Recruit!

Countering your point that others are going at 80%-90% is that the majority of them are professional athletes & have been for years whereas he's been a hard working semi-pro for that time.

If his performance should be scaled in a lesser light because guys are going easier in the contest in a scratchy, perhaps it should be re-scaled (upward) given that he's effectively a semi-pro playing against professionals.

Those guys are holding back 10%-20% because it's pre-season, but what % latent improvement does he have in 2019 simply by being in a truly high-performance environment?

I get & agree with your point, that our excitement should be tempered, but (IMO) it's also valid as we should see immediate improvement from him, simply through opportunity & assistance.

Itā€™s a fair point. Except that most of the other guys have already shown they can match it at AFL. Id suggest he needs to be 20% better even than today to make it. Can he get there? I hope. Will he? I hope!

Only guys holding back are the ones like Jaeger and Gunston that already know that they are getting picked for round 1.

Anyone who is at risk of losing their spot or trying to earn a debut or cement a place will be going hard, albeit with a little bit of care in the contest for thier own and their teammates safety.

Itā€™s a fair point. Except that most of the other guys have already shown they can match it at AFL. Id suggest he needs to be 20% better even than today to make it. Can he get there? I hope. Will he? I hope!
Most have, but Cousins, Moore, Skrillex, Jiath, Pitts, Michington, Lewis, Brand, T'OB, Mirra, Jones, Hanrahan, Ross, Morrison & probs others are still trying to prove they can make it at AFL-level (probs not Morrison) & Meadows seems to have held his own or bettered their performance last night, despite their multiple years in a professional system (Maybe except Skrillex & Michington - they didn't have professional systems...).

I just won't be too quick to discount Meadows' performance on the basis of other guys going easy, when he probs has capability that he's yet to harness due to his lack of development.

Most have, but Cousins, Moore, Skrillex, Jiath, Pitts, Michington, Lewis, Brand, T'OB, Mirra, Jones, Hanrahan, Ross, Morrison & probs others are still trying to prove they can make it at AFL-level (probs not Morrison) & Meadows seems to have held his own or bettered their performance last night, despite their multiple years in a professional system (Maybe except Skrillex & Michington - they didn't have professional systems...).

I just won't be too quick to discount Meadows' performance on the basis of other guys going easy, when he probs has capability that he's yet to harness due to his lack of development.

Fair call.

Thereā€™s a few things of interest going on at the moment. Everyone was very bullish on Ned R getting a spot, but he didnā€™t quite perform in the intra club. Now everyone is on Meadows after one good performance. But the club havenā€™t pulled the trigger on either yet.

Also, no announcement on the Captain. It seems to be getting quite late.

We are being quite circumspect in general this year. Letting as little away early as possible. Will be an interesting next few weeks for sure.

Like the look of Worps his body looks mature and developed enough to face the rigours of a full season.

This is the year to announce yourself play your role son and become another Hawks great like those before you šŸ¤ž!

Meadows was OK but not sure he deserves rave reviews. Comparing him to Minchington, I'd take the Minch every time. Meadows seems too blue collar. Minch goes missing but his top end is pretty high. This is a massive chance for Minch. He has Poppy who is the ideal model and behind him is Moore who will not die wondering.

Reeves laid a nice tackle and a very neat flip tap to Worp in a centre square stoppage. Clean takeaways will be vital. Did his chances no harm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Intraclub Match thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back