Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Pick 5 and a swap of 3rd/4th round picks for Rankine was...

• Massive overs

• Moderate overs

• Slight overs

• Fair value

• Slight unders

• Moderate unders

• Massive unders

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

If you play Rankine and Rachele and McAdam in the fwd line together, do we have enough forward pressure? Or does someone like McHenry or Murphy still get a game?

You've got a fair bit of motivation to introduce a midfield rotation.

McHenry would be an auto-select as a 7th forward for the time being. That said, Neds career is really in the hands of Sam Berry at the moment, seeing if his accumulation picks up, we'll probably look at moving Keays away from the inside midfield and into that 6th/7th forward role.

You've got a fair bit of motivation to introduce a midfield rotation.

McHenry would be an auto-select as a 7th forward for the time being. That said, Neds career is really in the hands of Sam Berry at the moment, seeing if his accumulation picks up, we'll probably look at moving Keays away from the inside midfield and into that 6th/7th forward role.
We should be getting rid of him and introducing newchurch why he hasn’t even been given a Game is beyond me. ten times the talent. Only thing I think they keep Ned in is because” pressure” and “good try” imagine that forward line with rankine mcadam thithorpe Rachele Fogarty and newchurch just need to sort our rubbish midfield out and will be dangerous. Move Dawson back onto a wing and delist/trade some list cloggers and it’s Christmas baby!

Izak said himself that Playing in front of big crowds with his family and friends watching in the stands is a huge motivation for him to become a better footballer.

Can't wait till he lights it up, and pretty much tell David King stfu I love the spotlight.
Plays his best football when there’s an “expectation” on him to perform.

Love the attitude - he wants the spotlight in front of 50,000 people.

David King is a ****wit.

Just to recap ...

In July King says Adelaide are worse than North.

Three months ago, King described Rankine as a "freak talent" and the "#1 Gold Coast Suns players".

In this clip, 2 months ago, King says he is better than Rachele, Thilthorpe, Fogarty - "Top line".

KC reckons pick 5 will not get it done. Swap for Thilthorpe, swap for Rachele and Fogarty.

King says GC need to hold their ground.

Then at 4:25, our mate Kane goes off the charts. It's been pointed out in this thread before, but the race based analysis that the Crows are trying to cover Tex's suspension and Eddie's book launch. To quote Luke, disgusting.

Now King says Rankine's an overpaid kid that doesn't change the Crows fortunes. Cornes thinks we got owned.

Say anything to get the clicks, no-one in the media has to justify anything ever.

We should be getting rid of him and introducing newchurch why he hasn’t even been given a Game is beyond me. ten times the talent. Only thing I think they keep Ned in is because” pressure” and “good try” imagine that forward line with rankine mcadam thithorpe Rachele Fogarty and newchurch just need to sort our rubbish midfield out and will be dangerous. Move Dawson back onto a wing and delist/trade some list cloggers and it’s Christmas baby!

Newchurch was a tad unlucky not to debut after the South Adelaide game. He didn't exactly kick on though, so it doesn't seem like it was the wrong decision, per se.

In the real world, they keep Ned in because he provides a good level of pressure/tackling, whilst not being a black hole offensively (average for smalls forwards in goals, score involvements, and above average for score launches, disposals, kicking efficiency) and probably will until Berry ousts Keays from a midfield role. Or Ned finds that extra little bit of offensive production and can lock down that 6th-7th forward role long term. A solid, albeit very frustrating player at this point in his career.

Newchurch was a tad unlucky not to debut after the South Adelaide game. He didn't exactly kick on though, so it doesn't seem like it was the wrong decision, per se.

In the real world, they keep Ned in because he provides a good level of pressure/tackling, whilst not being a black hole offensively (average for goals, score involvements, above average for score launches, dispsoals, kicking efficiency) and probably will until Berry ousts Keays from a midfield role. Or Ned finds that extra little bit of offensive production and can lock down that 6th-7th forward role long term. A solid, albeit very frustrating player at this point in his career.
Does Sloane come in for Ned when he returns from injury next year? Probably would get higher production from Rory, but the age factor doesn’t make a ton of sense for our side

In the real world, they keep Ned in because he provides a good level of pressure/tackling, whilst not being a black hole offensively (average for goals, score involvements, above average for score launches, dispsoals, kicking efficiency) and probably will until Berry ousts Keays from a midfield role. Or Ned finds that extra little bit of offensive production and can lock down that 6th-7th forward role long term. A solid, albeit frustrating player at this point in his career.
Fair point. I guess I’m harsh on Ned because he was a pick 6 was it? and I really don’t think we got the value back in terms of skill or ability I cannot knock his tenacity however for me he is not a pick 6 if we picked him up late 20’s early 30 wouldn’t care as much but I just don’t think the value has been there personally (same with Mcasey)

Fair point. I guess I’m harsh on Ned because he was a pick 6 was it? and I really do think we got the value back in terms of skill or ability I cannot know I his tenacity however for me he is not a pick 6 if we picked him up late 20’s early 30 wouldn’t care as much but I just don’t think the value has been there personally (same with Mcasey)
Ned was 16 I think, McAsey was 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair point. I guess I’m harsh on Ned because he was a pick 6 was it? and I really do think we got the value back in terms of skill or ability I cannot know I his tenacity however for me he is not a pick 6 if we picked him up late 20’s early 30 wouldn’t care as much but I just don’t think the value has been there personally (same with Mcasey)

Pick 16. Has the value been there for this pick so far? Probably not for what we've got. It wasn't a particularly deep draft, but there were some diamonds to have been found later on which would have been more useful (i.e. Rowbottom, Jordan, Sparrow, McInerney, Schulz etc). Still, McHenry still has some time to really cement himself as a solid role player moving forward (I'd have him on the cusp of it now) and a 100-200 game player for the pick is a solid return if he can get there.

It's not a disaster, but firmly in the "meh" tier of draft picks.

Now McAsey, that's a disaster of a pick at the moment. Jones is also shaping up as one.

Last edited:
Pick 16. Has the value been there for this pick so far? Probably not for what we've got. It wasn't a particularly deep draft, but there were some diamonds to have been found later on which would have been more useful (i.e. Rowbottom, Jordan, Sparrow, McInerney, Schulz etc). Still, McHenry still has some time to really cement himself as a solid role player moving forward (I'd have him on the cusp of it now) and a 100-200 game player for the pick is a solid return if he can get there.

It's not a disaster, but firmly in the "meh" tier of draft picks.

Now McAsey, that's a disaster of a pick at the moment.
I’d put Jones and McAsey both in the disaster pile. Both top 10 picks, both not close to the production we’d want to see from such

They’re the selections that’ll haunt us

I’d put Jones and McAsey both in the disaster pile. Both top 10 picks, both not close to the production we’d want to see from such

They’re the selections that’ll haunt us
Jones will be a decent player - just not the player we hoped for when we drafted him.
McAsey looks like being a disaster - barring a miracle reversal between now and the end of 2023, when he's generally expected to exit the AFL.

Jones - disappointing, but not a disaster
McAsey - disaster

In the real world, they keep Ned in because he provides a good level of pressure/tackling, whilst not being a black hole offensively (average for smalls forwards in goals, score involvements, and above average for score launches, disposals, kicking efficiency) and probably will until Berry ousts Keays from a midfield role. Or Ned finds that extra little bit of offensive production and can lock down that 6th-7th forward role long term. A solid, albeit very frustrating player at this point in his career.

Hopefully Taylor or Pedlar squeeze him out early. Sloane needs a spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Back