Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Pick 5 and a swap of 3rd/4th round picks for Rankine was...

• Massive overs

• Moderate overs

• Slight overs

• Fair value

• Slight unders

• Moderate unders

• Massive unders

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

As some of you know, my son is a hip hop DJ in Adelaide and he was told me last night that he saw Rakine out on the weekend.

He wasn't doing anything untoward, but the concern is that he was apparently with a few of the guys that used to hang around with Tyson Stengle back when he was getting into trouble.
Geelong likes this

personally would like to see izak in the gym with soli and rash though
314622362_10160592549508919_1190646064242478342_n.jpg

AFL 2023: Eddie Betts has a message for Izak Rankine as he prepares for his first season at the Crows​

Eddie Betts has dealt with the pressure and criticism that comes with being a high-profile, well-paid Adelaide Crows recruit – and he has two messages for Izak Rankine.

Eddie Betts has a couple of messages for Izak Rankine as he prepares to step into his shoes at the Crows.
One is delivered with the flair that Betts showed across his 350-game career for both Adelaide and Carlton, making him one of the most loved players in the AFL.

“The stuff he can do is pretty special, but the thing I would say to Izak is that the pockets at Adelaide Oval belong to me,” Betts says at the Fox Footy season launch.

“You can rent them but they are still mine.”

The other isn’t quite a warning, but it isn’t that far off.

“Adelaide can, especially the media and supporters, they can bring you in and chew you out right away,” he says.

“So you have to perform when you come in on big money. I felt the pressure when I first came across (from Carlton to Adelaide) and I wasn’t on the amount Izak is on.

“So the negative feedback from media and fans that come your way, you have to get out on the front foot and prove your point, prove you can play.”
Betts, who now does work for Fox Footy in his retirement, wants to go into bat for Rankine.

“There has been a lot of questions in the media around whether it is too much money for a small forward. As a small forward myself I’m like hang on, you have midfielders and rucks on big money, tall forwards who are on big money,” he says.

“Where is the negative feedback around those guys? As soon as a small forward gets money there is negative feedback.

“So I’m like no we deserve our money, we deserve to be paid well because small forward is the hardest position to play.”
“That is where you want your best players playing and we have been talking about continuing to add speed and skill to our side and Izak Rankine does both of those,” Crows board member Mark Ricciuto says.

“I think he will be a great addition.”
But former Crow Josh Jenkins, who was part of the dangerous forward line that reached the 2017 grand final, and worked with Rankine in the SA Under-18s program, says Adelaide fans can’t expect him to be a matchwinner in every game.

“There are going to be as many lean days as matchwinning days,” he says.

“I know what it is like in Adelaide, the expectations on him will be gigantic.

“The hype train has already left the station so it will be hard for him to match that but hopefully Adelaide fans can ride it with him and he can help them rise up the ladder.”
At West Lakes, the real excitement is around Rankine’s running capability, and what it could be.

Adelaide star and former captain Rory Sloane says he couldn’t have been more impressed with Rankine’s pre-season so far.

“What he has brought from day dot, he has been diligent, worked really hard and that’s what our guys have loved,” he says.
Rankine’s captain at West Adelaide when he debuted at SANFL level at just 16, Tom Keough, says you could see that even back then.

“I’m sure he will admit that early days he preferred the skills and kicking the footys around more than he did the fitness and the gym work but he really put it together in his under 18 year and what we are seeing now is a stronger and more professional kid,” he says.

“With that last year we always knew he was that explosive and electric player who could do those high bursts, screamers and sprints but his ability to do that over a full game surprised us.

“I think he can play in an AFL midfield and really light it up.

“That has been his development and I think he can bring the game he has got to a midfield and with an increased workrate I think he can be almost unstoppable in there.”

Part of what fuelled Rankine’s move back to Adelaide was the opportunity to spend more time playing in the midfield.

Expect either Rankine or young gun Josh Rachele to have bursts around the ball as the Crows look to inject their speed and skill into their midfield.

AFL 2023: Eddie Betts has a message for Izak Rankine as he prepares for his first season at the Crows​

Eddie Betts has dealt with the pressure and criticism that comes with being a high-profile, well-paid Adelaide Crows recruit – and he has two messages for Izak Rankine.
Behind the pay wall and I won't pay for that crap.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

How would Eddie know what Izak is on. This fox footy salary made up narrative continues.

How would Eddie know what Izak is on. This fox footy salary made up narrative continues.
Also what does him mean Adelaide media and fans chew you up and spit you out as highly paid recruit?? He literally from day 1 was a super star and much loved by fans and media, the only time he was questioned was at the end of his career when he had already established himself as worthy of ever cent.

Also what does him mean Adelaide media and fans chew you up and spit you out as highly paid recruit?? He literally from day 1 was a super star and much loved by fans and media, the only time he was questioned was at the end of his career when he had already established himself as worthy of ever cent.

Possible he was thinking about how Bryce went?

Do our fans need to be so precious about everything all the time?

Behind the pay wall and I won't pay for that crap.

HUH?

You do know how click to expand works?

And I don't think it's crap, it's a quite well balanced article where Eddie, Jenkins and Izak's former Captain at West Adelaide Tom Keogh are quoted/

HUH?

And I don't think it's crap, it's a quite well balanced article where Eddie, Jenkins and Izak's former Captain at West Adelaide Tom Keogh are quoted/
What does click to expand mean? If I click the link the story is behind the paywall

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HUH?

I didn't say the article was crap. I said the Advertiser was crap.

There was a lot of talk before he played a game that we had over paid for a small forward. Plenty of it was on here as well but it was also in general media. Eddie proved the doubters wrong very quickly - hopefully Izak can do the same

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There was a lot of talk before he played a game that we had over paid for a small forward. Plenty of it was on here as well but it was also in general media. Eddie proved the doubters wrong very quickly - hopefully Izak can do the same

Yeah, i was a bit of a doubter and he hasn’t played a H&A game for us yet.. but now think that by season end, I will have been proved……. wrong.

We picked Eddie up in free agency though, they're not really comparable. We paid substantially more for Rankine than we did Eddie, because he has to meet the value of both the contract and the draft compensation.

I think there's a real argument that he has to do more than be a small forward to be capable of providing the sort of return you'd want. Some on this board argue that is exactly what he will do, and he will bolster the midfield. Maybe they're right.

Now that its done there's not much to do but sit back, enjoy his play and hope it pays off. We desperately need elite players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Back