Jonathan Hay - The next silvagni ???

Remove this Banner Ad

hawkstaf

Rookie
Nov 18, 2001
whoop whoop
Other Teams
HAWTHORN
Jonathan Hay is developing into one of the most dependant and reliable full backs in the league - he is athletic and has tremendous power, speed and precision against the highest quality fowards. I rate him 8.5/10 at the moment - i predict within the next few years he will sky rocket in status and be the most feared full back in the league.

Originally posted by hawkstaf
Jonathan Hay is developing into one of the most dependant and reliable full backs in the league - he is athletic and has tremendous power, speed and precision against the highest quality fowards. I rate him 8.5/10 at the moment - i predict within the next few years he will sky rocket in status and be the most feared full back in the league.

He did have a very good year in 2001, but I think Dustin Fletcher will again resume his mantle of the premier fullback in 2002 (a la 2000) after hopefully sorting out his injuries over the summer.

Sorry.
;)

Yes, I think Hay will assume Silvagni's mantle of being the most talked-up fullback in the league, regardless of form.

Originally posted by Blues2001
7 time All Australian is hard to argue with.
Thats kinda the point. Selectors write him in there regardless of how good his season may be, or how good anyone elses is. Fullbacks are very hard to compare as there's no real objective stats you can use, so the most talked up fullback gets the spot. I can easily see Jonathan Hay filling this role for the forseeable future.

He's certainly made Tredrea look a goose quite a bit in the last few years.
Sure. Except when he's played at full-forward. (or CHB as his All-Australian placement was one year, haha)

Jon Hay

Hey Porthos you tool,
Is that Fabian as your ugly nut????
**** off you southpaw loser.

I reckon that Jonny Hay will be better than Silvagni??

All Ozzi 7 times, what a ****!!!!!
he was named that even when he played half a year up forward,

Re: Jon Hay

Originally posted by chicky17
Hey Porthos you tool,

Nice Post!:rolleyes:

Jonathen Hay will most likely become the next premier full back of the competition, however, to compare him to someone of Silvani's achievements is a bit silly at the moment

If he continues to play as he does now and keeps improving, then he has every chance of becoming of Silvani's calibre

Re: Jon Hay

Originally posted by chicky17
Hey Porthos you tool,
Hey Chicky you legend,

No, its Brent Guerra. It helps to notice that he's not aboriginal.

I actually don't box. I retired after an unfortunate headbutt incident with Trent Croad.

Thats nice

Yes....and your conclusion from that piece of info is that I'm a tool? As opposed to backing my comments nicely? Nice one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Porthos
Yes, I think Hay will assume Silvagni's mantle of being the most talked-up fullback in the league, regardless of form.

You are an idiot. Silvagni played and often beat the most celebrated forwards in the history of the game. Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett, and Carey to name a few. Some other lesser light's such as Capper, Sumich, Modra hardly got a touch on him.

How long have you been following AFL for ? 5 years ?

You're not one of those Greg Philip's lovers are you ?

I dont fear HAY or FLETCHER when we play them. They arent at Silvagnis level defensively if you ask me. Have the skills to be, but aint. They are good attacking defenders. Silvagni also could go play full forward, havent seen these guys go down and kick a bag yet. (maybe cos they dont need to)

Personally, (in my biased view of course).

Hay has been the outstanding full-back for the last two seasons, and Hawthorn have had the best defensive six for the last season (took half of 2000 to get it sorted).

Silvagni was a very dirty player from what I've seen, but although i don't doubt his obvious ability, I seriously never really rated him as being the equal of Hay, or Fletcher (who i think would be a better defender than Hay, but Hay is a more aggressive defender (if that makes sense)).

The fact that gives Hay the nod I believe, is that he can hold the likes of Lloyd (well as well as anyone else put it that way), can thrash Hird, play on rioli, etc.

He can play on the tallest, and the smallest, all with more or less the same comfort.

I've yet to see Fletcher play well on a small or medium defender.

but that could just be my bias.

Originally posted by Worm4
You are an idiot. Silvagni played and often beat the most celebrated forwards in the history of the game. Dunstall, Lockett, Ablett, and Carey to name a few. Some other lesser light's such as Capper, Sumich, Modra hardly got a touch on him.

Thats nice. Yet he kept getting All-Australian when, as has eben pointed out, he's spent half the year up forward, and even gets named at CHB on the basis of a couple of games there.

Silvagni's All-Australian awards are certainly helped by the fact that every commentator talked him up "Silvagni, great player" even when he's beaten. He earned a lot of accolades early in his career, and because there is practically no respect for fullbacks when naming greats of the game, then the mere fact that you're talked about will get you a guernsey. And because you keep getting talked about, you keep getting talked about.

Jonathan Hay is being talked about in very similar terms, regardless of the fact that there are 15 other fullbacks out there, so he'll keep getting a go, regardless of whether a less reputed backman has had a better season. He's got his name out there, and for awards like All-Australian, thats the important thing.

I've seen Silvagni play, and a lot of his defensive work is ok, and I reckon his greatest talent was getting away with hanging onto guernseys and arms all the time, even when the umpire can see it. Astounding.

Originally posted by Simon_Nesbit
Silvagni was a very dirty player from what I've seen, but although i don't doubt his obvious ability, I seriously never really rated him as being the equal of Hay, or Fletcher (

Is that because he was far, far superior?

Not even the equal of Hay? You are biased....extremely biased.

Silvagni was the biggest cheat ever to play the game, but Ill give him credit for getting away with it. Hay needs to improve his cheating abilities if he wants to be seen in the same light as the rubberman.

As an athlete, Silvagni doesn't compare to Hay. However, it's still unknown whether or not Hay has the guile to defeat the best full forwards the game has to offer on a weekly basis. Silvagni used to bend the rules to his advantage, and because of his name (and the jumper?) he got away with it. Hay is a different player who has the POTENTIAL in a far different era, to be one of the games greatest full backs...

A few of you guys are taking alot away from Silvagni which he doesnt deserve.As desperate and courageous a player as i have seen.He is the best full back I have seen by a long way and Hay certainly will be pushing **** up hill to get close to him.All backman bend the rules a little bit I think some of you are just enjoying cutting him down a little to much.;)

Originally posted by dogboy23
He is the best full back I have seen by a long way and Hay certainly will be pushing **** up hill to get close to him.All backman bend the rules a little bit I think some of you are just enjoying cutting him down a little to much.;)
I know they do. Fact is, Silvagni got away with a lot more than any other backman (with the exception of Martyn for a couple of years)....because he was SOS.

If Wayne Carey is unlucky to not have won a Brownlow, I think Silvagni is lucky to have gained 7 All-Australian selections.

I know they do. Fact is, Silvagni got away with a lot more than any other backman (with the exception of Martyn for a couple of years)....because he was SOS.

If Wayne Carey is unlucky to not have won a Brownlow, I think Silvagni is lucky to have gained 7 All-Australian selections.

Geez, I could say the EXACT SAME THING about that little sniper Wanganeen.

Are you saying that Silvagni was untouchable ? He obviously didn't deserve his 7 All-australian selections, obviously didn't deserve his FB of the Century award, and was abviously just an average player. You must be an absolute expert in regards to football. Don't worry...just figures it out...you're west of the border...thought so !

The funny thing is, no one has ever bothered to bring up a replacement for SIlvagni in any of these prestigious awards.
Bring it on , and let me cut him down.

Now trodd off back to SA and concentrate on winning a final.

Originally posted by Worm4
Geez, I could say the EXACT SAME THING about that little sniper Wanganeen.
And you know what? I'd agree. He had a good year in 2001 (was actually unijured!), but naming him in the back pocket when he played half the year up forward? Pretty dopey. But because he's Wanganeen, a talked about player, he got a guernsey. Similarly Port's running midfielders, who aren't talked about in anywhere near the same terms, didn't....even though the form of Francou, Stevens and Carr was seen as a major factor in Port's surge up the ladder.

Are you saying that Silvagni was untouchable ? He obviously didn't deserve his 7 All-australian selections, obviously didn't deserve his FB of the Century award, and was abviously just an average player. You must be an absolute expert in regards to football. Don't worry...just figures it out...you're west of the border...thought so !
I'm saying that he probably didn't deserve 7 all-australian selections, yes. That is precisely what I'm saying. And I'm also saying that when naming a team of the century, then fullback is the one position that there are practically no`great' players in, so thats why it was the only position filled by a player playing at the time. In judged awards, the fullback isn't important.....there's no stats to compare full backs, so the fullback with the biggest rep gets picked. And because they get picked their rep gets bigger.

The funny thing is, no one has ever bothered to bring up a replacement for Silvagni in any of these prestigious awards.
Bring it on , and let me cut him down.
What other single fullback peaked in a time when selectors had the opportunity to see them play every game? And to hear commentators **** on about SOS, Son of Serge. And what other fullback married the equivalent of a Jo Bailey? And was an `ethnic' player in a time when it was fashionable and encouraged, in order to look multicultural?

There are many, many factors behind Silvagni's selection in the team of the century, and his actual ability, compared to other fullbacks, is only one of them.

There are many, many factors behind Silvagni's selection in the team of the century, and his actual ability, compared to other fullbacks, is only one of them.

And those factors are ?

I want to hear it from the expert. Fill me in .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan Hay - The next silvagni ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back