Jordan Russell - Time to cut our losses?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Russels mistakes get picked up on BF... Go figure..

While I agree that Russell gets a tough rap on BF, you can hardly compare him to someone like Murphy/Gibbs/Simpson who are proven performers at the level. Surely they've earnt a bad quarter or disposal? :confused:

Russell is showing improvement (albeit slow improvement) and so long as he continues to improve, I have no issues with the committee selecting him. If he stagnates and stops improving, do you think he's good enough at the moment to hold a spot in our 22?

Beats me how JR keeps getting a game even after he constantly puts up sub-standard performances (some people who believe in conpiracies would have you think he must have photos or info on members of the match committee in sensitive situations lol)

This is his 5th year at the club, and he hasn't made any signifcant growth, development or improvement since his rookie year ..

Surely enough time and games have passed now to suggest that he'll never come good as an AFL player ?

Beats me how JR keeps getting a game even after he constantly puts up sub-standard performances (some people who believe in conpiracies would have you think he must have photos or info on members of the match committee in sensitive situations lol)

This is his 5th year at the club, and he hasn't made any signifcant growth, development or improvement since his rookie year ..

Surely enough time and games have passed now to suggest that he'll never come good as an AFL player ?

who would you replace him with? Bently?

cp, you are entitled to your opinion of course, but when you inject yourself into these threads at regular intervals to pretty much say the same thing, it is like you are trying to bully those that hold a different opinion into seeing things your way.

I firmly believe that some of our supporters have painted themselves into such a corner with their criticisms of players, that they actually hope to see them fail because it would be too hard to concede a mistake.

Then you get to the point where a player does as many good things as bad and you can only discuss the bad. Then you get to a point where the player has a couple of good matches and they get no concession from the knockers because they have built up so many negatives they have to play 50 good games in a row to make up for it.

It may as well be an opposition player we are talking about for all the goodwill shown and the over the top remarks made.

JR did do some nice things, but I think a lot of you would agree that he needs to improve his disposals. ODN made a good point on another thread, that when he lifts his intensity he is a good player. But if you can't focus when your out on the field all the time, then people are going to start questioning you. And when you make glaring skill errors it makes that much more worse.

IMHO Garlett should have first dibs from anyone on the rookie list right now esp with his promising performances in the NAB Cup ...

completely different player.

Despite what you make think of JR, he fills the bigger bodied half forward tag which we are in desperate need of atm.

Garlett is a boy and would be better suited to a front pocket on and off the bench cameo with betts.

JR did do some nice things, but I think a lot of you would agree that he needs to improve his disposals. ODN made a good point on another thread, that when he lifts his intensity he is a good player. But if you can't focus when your out on the field all the time, then people are going to start questioning you. And when you make glaring skill errors it makes that much more worse.

I think it was only last week? yep pretty sure it was, where everyone was saying how much better JR looked...why the change? he was one of the main contributors today in the lifting of our intensity. During the early stages of the 2nd qtr he went harder than anyone else in the 1st. Lifting the rest of the team.

It is really time to stop the bashing. Honestly..

I support him because of the often mindless and downright unpleasant garbage directed at him by supporters such as yourself.

I am sorry but the denigration of a player representing Carlton is not what I consider supporting to be.

If you are that upset and outraged by his continued selection in the side, then your problem is not with Russell - it is with Ratten and the match committee.

So if you have to vent your spleen, do so at them, because they are the ones who select the players.

On that subject - how can you possibly have any confidence in Ratten? Surely you don't want a coach at the helm who selects Russell in the side?

Top post!

I think it was only last week? yep pretty sure it was, where everyone was saying how much better JR looked...why the change? he was one of the main contributors today in the lifting of our intensity. During the early stages of the 2nd qtr he went harder than anyone else in the 1st. Lifting the rest of the team.

Living in fairyland? Russell is making the same mistakes as he did a year ago.

All those who think Russell is untouchable who would you have in ahead of in his position?

Walker?
Houlihan?
Robinson?
Yarran?
Gibbs?
Fisher?
Simpson?
Wiggins?
Murphy?

I would prefer all of the above to him for his position as a HFF/wing player.

Remembering like someone said earlier Sunday's team had 26 (including 2 subs) and the missing players who would get a game in front of him (walker scotland kruezer carrazzo wiggins yarran) how would you fit him in?

I didn't realise Jordan Russell supported Aston Villa.

Seemed more like a Derby County supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think i may have blinked during todays game and missed all the good things that JR did.

Can someone please tell me why we signed him for 2 years last year?? He should have got a 1 year deal. Its not like we have to give him 2 years to stay at our club. No1 else would be interested in him, and if there was someone by golly we should have given him away! I really cant see him playing in a premiership side.

I saw JR do several good things today. Might have to get my eyesight checked and watch the game again.
Yeah he did but when i was watching it with my friend,he did turn it over with his kicks like Bentley at first. I guess people are on to him because he was a first round pick plus the fact you can't do that in the real season.

The team can't give the other team like a 5 goal start with poor kicks from Russell,Carazoo or who ever then they play well and sometimes get in the best. The problem is the team play catch up but may fall short as the other team get the game back after all the work you do to get in front after a bad quarter.

Here is a qustion for all of you to think about, bias aside:

Would Jordan Russell be getting a run in the side still (or even be on the list for that matter) - if he wasn't taken at Pick #9 in 2004 :confused:

Would Jordan Russell be getting a run in the side still (or even be on the list for that matter) - if he wasn't taken at Pick #9 in 2004 :confused:

Look, no-one hates the guy.
Fact is he is just not up to it and if we think him to be in our best 22 then we are in for a lot of pain. Turnovers of the calibre we saw in the first quarter alone should tell us that.

I have him the 35th. most important player on our list.
In other words: Not needed at his age

Mate you are just embarrasing yourself, seriously!

You are obviously one of these supporters that bags your own team at the games to make yourself less embarrassed in front of opposition supporters!!

You also havent been paying attention in your own thread..... now read this carefully...

JR is getting a run in the side and is being picked for every game ahead of who ever else you would rather in the side by Ratts and co. so your argument about where he was picked in the draft has no merit. Ratts didnt pick him in the draft but picks him every week to play!!!!

If you have a problem with that, take it up with the match committee, not the player!!!

Look, no-one hates the guy.
Fact is he is just not up to it and if we think him to be in our best 22 then we are in for a lot of pain. Turnovers of the calibre we saw in the first quarter alone should tell us that.

I have him the 35th. most important player on our list.
In other words: Not needed at his age

Totally agree with all that except i have him at 38th on out list!

Mate you are just embarrasing yourself, seriously!

You are obviously one of these supporters that bags your own team at the games to make yourself less embarrassed in front of opposition supporters!!

You also havent been paying attention in your own thread..... now read this carefully...

JR is getting a run in the side and is being picked for every game ahead of who ever else you would rather in the side by Ratts and co. so your argument about where he was picked in the draft has no merit. Ratts didnt pick him in the draft but picks him every week to play!!!!

If you have a problem with that, take it up with the match committee, not the player!!!

LOL

You remind me of one of those annoying "lets remain positive" hippy nympho soccer mums who feels the need to pull positives out of her ass in order to sheild herself from the reality that her son his crap and as such - she must cheer at everything her child does and try to back it up with positive re-inforcement:

"Never mind Jordan, next time!"

"Good effort to get the ball Jordan, never mind the shank!"

"Don't worry Jordan, you almost had him"

Hey fantastic, when he's turning kicks over and handing the ball back to the opposition we should applaud him for having gotten the ball in the first place?

I suppose it's the Match Committees fault - Jordan pulls out of contests with Ben McGlynn ?

You are a clown, supporters like you who dont even have the balls to critisize their own out of love for the club are not real supporters.

They're sheep.

LOL

You remind me of one of those annoying "lets remain positive" hippy nympho soccer mums who feels the need to pull positives out of her ass in order to sheild herself from the reality that her son his crap and as such - shemust cheer at everything her child does:

Hey fantastic, when he's turning kicks over and handing the ball back to the opposition we should applaud him for having gotten the ball in the first place?

I suppose it's the Match Committees fault - Jordan pulls out of contests with Ben McGlynn ?

You are a clown, supporters like you who dont even have the balls to critisize their own out of love for the club are not real supporters.

They're sheep.

Really!!

You dont have to be a "hippy nympho soccer mum" to keep your mouth shut when someone makes a mistake! Only fools rush to criticize someone elses errors.

The annoying thing about supporters who bag their own is that they have one set of rules for the champions like Judd, Gibbs, Walker, Fev (or whoever else takes their fancy) when they make a mistake and a different set of rules when their "bunny" makes a mistake.

Its immature and childish, and says more about the supporter than they realise.

As for being a clown, well maybe...... but what I personally think of JR has never come into this argument, I just dont get a kick out slagging off my own team.

You mate are the sheep, because there are plenty of dimwits who bag the shit out their own team, its just that they usually support the Tiggies!!!!:D

Seriously, the "holier than thou" attitude of some of the posters on this board is hilarious.

Is Robert Mugabe running this board?

Posters who despite being a minority - continue to spruik on about how you she be unconditionally supportive of the club, no matter what.

While this is true to an extent - as someone who loves the club, and wants to see the club head in the right direction both on and off the field - I have the right to voice an opinion on all things concerning (particuarly the former).

Is it unreasonable to expect a 4th year player to go in hard into a contest on a consistant basis?

Is it unreasonable to expect a 4th year player to be able to hit a target consistantly from 25 metres away?

Our performances over the last 5 or so years must have allowed some sort of culture to seep in where we are happy to settle for ineptness.

LOL

You remind me of one of those annoying "lets remain positive" hippy nympho soccer mums who feels the need to pull positives out of her ass in order to sheild herself from the reality that her son his crap and as such - she must cheer at everything her child does:

They're sheep.

Exactly!

We marvel at Fevolas goalkicking at Judds clearances at Waites athleticism
and conversely pull our hair out at Russell's turnovers.
We just call it the way we see it.

I guess there will always be the hippy nympho soccer mums:eek: who would support their children irrespective of any crimes they may have committed.

I'd rather just call it as it is.

Allow Dr. C4 to take this post apart:

Really!!

You dont have to be a "hippy nympho soccer mum" to keep your mouth shut when someone makes a mistake! Only fools rush to criticize someone elses errors.

LOL - as if you've never critisized a Carlton player's error at the football.

FACT: Football is a passionate game.

The annoying thing about supporters who bag their own is that they have one set of rules for the champions like Judd, Gibbs, Walker, Fev (or whoever else takes their fancy) when they make a mistake and a different set of rules when their "bunny" makes a mistake. Its immature and childish, and says more about the supporter than they realise.

LOL 2 sets of rules? - thanks Captain Obvious: comparing JR's input week in, week out to the likes of Judd, Gibbs, Walker and Fev?

I think it's a know fact that JR is Carlton's official whipping boy (because the majority of supporters agree), why do you think that is? - we don't like his haircut?

The thing you need to understand is: Russell is a serial offender in terms of ineptness shown on the ground.

Of course people aren't going to be calling for Chris Judds head when he makes a mistake - because he contributes so much more than a few meagre disposals.

As for being a clown, well maybe...... but what I personally think of JR has never come into this argument, I just dont get a kick out slagging off my own team.

There's no maybe about it.

You are a dead set clown.

There is no personal agenda against JR - he is just very very average as a contributer to this side, and as such, comes under fire for it, as passionate supporters we have the right to voice our opinion about all things Carlton.

Don't like it? - move to Zimbabwe.

You mate are the sheep, because there are plenty of dimwits who bag the shit out their own team, its just that they usually support the Tiggies!!!!:D

So someone who stands up and publically questions an aspect of the club, as opposed tosomeone who is a sapp and beleives that we shouldn't publically voice our dissaproval of the club and just leave it all be - according to you is a sheep ? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back