Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2016 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work over the past few months Knitemare. Who would you be taking Pick 1 in the rookie draft? Scharenberg is one that has slid and we could be looking at Sproule if we want a key position player.

Hey KM,

Your overall assessment of the Cats selections at the National Draft and your top 5 remaining in the Rookie draft?

Great coverage of the young lads this season.

hey KM, you doing a rookie PD? would like the lions to take a punt on a real boom or bust option ie. Liam Ryan, your thoughts on him?

if not him a solid no fuss mature aged KPD would be nice, Keitel?

Thoughts on Port's draft so far Knightmare?

Like the draft overall and love the Drew pick.

I completed a full player by player review - a couple of sentences on all selections (including opinions) which will be up on ESPN tomorrow which is worth a look.

Give Drew a particularly positive wrap.

Anyone have a bio on
MATTHEW SIGNORELLO?

So you can sleep tonight he is an athletic type who can win the contested footy.

Will go into more details about his strengths and weaknesses in my AFL draft review on ESPN tomorrow where I give a more complete rundown of his game.

Hey KM,
Do you know much about Harry Morrison and Mitchell Lewis?

TBH im a-bit disappointed we didn't draft the likes of Jye Bolton, Matt Guelfi, Ben Jarman, Juhdan Dundon, Mitch Hinge or Tom Williamson.

Morrison is a good rebounding back flanker/wing. Lewis is a tall development project.

Neither are awful where selected. Presumably Hawthorn take a midfielder in the rookie draft given no mid was taken in the national draft.

Knightmare which AFL forward past or present do you compare Patrick Kerr too?

For a top of mind player comparison maybe something like a less mobile Chris Dawes.

Hey Knightmare, just curious but how long have you been writing for ESPN for? Off the top of my head, can't recall seeing any mention of them in years gone by (unless I missed it haha).

Only occasionally float over to these parts (normally this time of year for obvious reasons) but when I do I always look out for your phantom drafts. Just happy to see you seemingly progressing in life with your draft watching passion. :)

Keep up the great work mate! :thumbsu:

Thanks for the kind words.

ESPN only launched the Australia/New Zealand website this year. I have been on board from early in the footy season.

Hey km port has followed suit as every other draftyear; we see a need we attack it with every single pick. Reading through draft profiles pretty much all our mids arent the best kicks in the world how would you order them from best to worse? Also you ranked drew very high personally and there are conflicting reports that he is slow to get up to speed while you say his acceleration is a strength. Last question could you also please rank firstyear impacts

Of the Port mid

Kicking:
1a. Atley (least inconsistent)
1b. Drew (can bomb away from stoppages but otherwise a fine field kick)
3. Powell-Pepper (relatively most inconsistent)

Drew is seen by some as slow because he is not quick over the first few metres. When he is up and going at speed his pace is average-above average. Because of the nature of where he wins the ball is unable to use any kind of burst of pace, nor is it practical for him to try winning it in congestion and being at the coalface rather than moving into space to receive. If you watch him on the move around the ground he covers it fine with his endurance good by position.

The Port boys on immediacy of play the three mids could be in any order and it may be determined over preseason with all three able to push for games in 2017 if opportunity presents. Powell-Pepper probably the more likely to get earlier games as he can slow onto a forward flank whereas Drew and Atley are more players you insert into the senior team with the intent to play through the midfield.
1a. Powell-Pepper
1b. Drew
1c. Atley
4. Marshall (being a key forward and being a long way off expect 3-4 years of development before you see anything more than a glimpse from him)

Hey KM with a lot of smokies being taken last night inckuding SF dion johnstone and cam polson, do you think smalls Sam Fowler, Kym Le Bois, Ben Jarman, Tyson Stengle, Dan Allsop and Tarir Bayok will get a chance in the rookie draft?

Bayok will join WCE as Cat B rookie.

Ronke will join Essendon.

Otherwise they're all in the mix and a combination of those will be chosen.

Thanks for all your work again KM. Do you think Ronke is any chance to slide to Essendon's multicultural Cat B pick?

It's a definite possibility he could slide through.

Potentially great get if he does. Big time contested ball winner with as much explosiveness as any inside mid in this draft.

Great work over the past few months Knitemare. Who would you be taking Pick 1 in the rookie draft? Scharenberg is one that has slid and we could be looking at Sproule if we want a key position player.

Ben Ronke is my top remaining players from my power rankings. Brodie Romensky and Lachlan Walker also from my top 30 power rankings remain and in my view based on performance represent significant value (whether any of them are picked is another question however) *with Ronke the exception with Essendon able to take him as Cat B rookie if overlooked.

From my top 40 I also have Brett Eddy, Jonty Scharenberg and Jye Bolton as some others I'd like to see chosen.

Sproule is worth picking for a club as a rookie but probably someone I'd leave for someone else to take. For me he shys away from the contest too much which isn't a tendency I like in KPPs.

Hey KM,

Your overall assessment of the Cats selections at the National Draft and your top 5 remaining in the Rookie draft?

Great coverage of the young lads this season.

Top 5 rookie draft power rankings.
1. Ben Ronke
2. Brodie Romensky
3. Lachlan Walker
4. Brett Eddy
5. Jonty Scharenberg

Hey KM, what do you think of hawthorns draft picks?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nothing extraordinary, nothing terrible. About what I'd expect that late in the draft.

Hey KM, thoughts on Venables to West Coast at 13?

Early than expected but not too early either. Relatively risky given injury history but has attributes that suggest he is potentially very developable if he can keep healthy and improve his numbers.

hey KM, you doing a rookie PD? would like the lions to take a punt on a real boom or bust option ie. Liam Ryan, your thoughts on him?

if not him a solid no fuss mature aged KPD would be nice, Keitel?

No time. Spent the weekend completing a national draft review.

I may complete an early 2017 preview for ESPN if there is the demand for it though.

Liam Ryan is worth a shot as a rookie. Real high flyer with x-factor. Developable and has the performances on the board in the WAFL at League level. Would have taken him before Rioli myself this year.

Keitel is a solid key defender and my preferred state league key defender this year. Not overly athletic or tall but finds the footy and can intercept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi km ,do you think liam Ryan will get picked up or do you think he has to go back to the wafl,improve his fitness and basically show he can stay in a professional environment?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

How did you rate GCs selections KM?

GC performed well with the two academy choices what made it a winning draft for GC.

Hi km ,do you think liam Ryan will get picked up or do you think he has to go back to the wafl,improve his fitness and basically show he can stay in a professional environment?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

He has been spoken about by a few clubs during the year so I'm expecting he is at least in the mix for selection tomorrow.

Knightmare I'm really hoping the Crows are into Reece Piper as a rookie, he's really impressed me with his run and that booming laser boot, think there's a bit more to be exploited there than the small defender tag he seems to be lumped with.

KM where do see LeBois ending up?
Would love to see him end up at the Bombers, have seen enough of him that excites me. Obviously his slight build is a big turn off for some clubs

Knight, I think the Lions need to add more midfield depth unless they view Berry as a mid. Scharenberg is an obvious option, but what other Midfielders would be a good pick at #2 in the rookie draft?

Ronke, Romensky and Walker as per my power rankings I rate ahead of Scharenberg as midfielders.

KM where do see LeBois ending up?
Would love to see him end up at the Bombers, have seen enough of him that excites me. Obviously his slight build is a big turn off for some clubs

Any club needing a small forward may consider.

Carlton, North Melbourne and St Kilda are just a few clubs who could use him.

Knightmare I'm really hoping the Crows are into Reece Piper as a rookie, he's really impressed me with his run and that booming laser boot, think there's a bit more to be exploited there than the small defender tag he seems to be lumped with.

He's in the mix and was unlucky not to be chosen in the national draft.

HI KM great work on the player backgrounds , info , insights and phantoms drafts as usual. much appreciated.
I very happy with the Baggers haul, what are your thoughts did Silvagni do well?
Thanks

KM is rotham a long kick and if so, how is his penetration compared to half back flankers like hurn and smith.

Like the draft overall and love the Drew pick.

I completed a full player by player review - a couple of sentences on all selections (including opinions) which will be up on ESPN tomorrow which is worth a look.

Give Drew a particularly positive wrap.

So you can sleep tonight he is an athletic type who can win the contested footy.

Will go into more details about his strengths and weaknesses in my AFL draft review on ESPN tomorrow where I give a more complete rundown of his game.

Morrison is a good rebounding back flanker/wing. Lewis is a tall development project.

Neither are awful where selected. Presumably Hawthorn take a midfielder in the rookie draft given no mid was taken in the national draft.

For a top of mind player comparison maybe something like a less mobile Chris Dawes.

Thanks for the kind words.

ESPN only launched the Australia/New Zealand website this year. I have been on board from early in the footy season.

Of the Port mid

Kicking:
1a. Atley (least inconsistent)
1b. Drew (can bomb away from stoppages but otherwise a fine field kick)
3. Powell-Pepper (relatively most inconsistent)

Drew is seen by some as slow because he is not quick over the first few metres. When he is up and going at speed his pace is average-above average. Because of the nature of where he wins the ball is unable to use any kind of burst of pace, nor is it practical for him to try winning it in congestion and being at the coalface rather than moving into space to receive. If you watch him on the move around the ground he covers it fine with his endurance good by position.

The Port boys on immediacy of play the three mids could be in any order and it may be determined over preseason with all three able to push for games in 2017 if opportunity presents. Powell-Pepper probably the more likely to get earlier games as he can slow onto a forward flank whereas Drew and Atley are more players you insert into the senior team with the intent to play through the midfield.
1a. Powell-Pepper
1b. Drew
1c. Atley
4. Marshall (being a key forward and being a long way off expect 3-4 years of development before you see anything more than a glimpse from him)

Bayok will join WCE as Cat B rookie.

Ronke will join Essendon.

Otherwise they're all in the mix and a combination of those will be chosen.
Allsop wont be picked up by Melbourne as they just picked up ready made small Dion Johnstone (most likely). Firstly do you believe that was a good decision and secondly should another club take a gamble on Allsop as a Catergory A or B rookie and will they do you think? As im interested in the hawks taking the boy as a developable small for when cyril and poppy are done, he could learn the tricks of the trade from 2 of the best in the business!

HI KM great work on the player backgrounds , info , insights and phantoms drafts as usual. much appreciated.
I very happy with the Baggers haul, what are your thoughts did Silvagni do well?
Thanks

My AFL Draft review is up on ESPN as per the link: PhoenixBonez listed on this page.

Solid enough draft. Particularly Carlton's first two choices.

LeBois not a bad choice as a rookie either.

KM is rotham a long kick and if so, how is his penetration compared to half back flankers like hurn and smith.

Rothan can kick 50m, maybe 55m but not the 60m+ a Hurn can.

How did you see the tigers picks? Cheers

A good draft by Richmond. As above, see the link provided by PhoenixBonez for a full review.

Spoiler: Richmond drafted well.

Allsop wont be picked up by Melbourne as they just picked up ready made small Dion Johnstone (most likely). Firstly do you believe that was a good decision and secondly should another club take a gamble on Allsop as a Catergory A or B rookie and will they do you think? As im interested in the hawks taking the boy as a developable small for when cyril and poppy are done, he could learn the tricks of the trade from 2 of the best in the business!

I'd take Allsop over Melbourne's two national draft selections and three rookie draft selections.

Allsop is a seriously dangerous forward. He's as good as LeBois who Carlton took with pick 5 in the rookie draft. Freakish ground level player if there is one in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back