Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Km, just wondering If you know anything about Tere Teio-Yarran from south Fremantle as he has been in their best players for the first few rounds

hi KM, interested in your opinion on what the lions tactics should be in this years draft/trade/FA. we have 2 1st round picks 1 of which will be top 2-3 (ours) and 1 in the 6-10 range (ports) IMO.

i would be looking at Rayner, Fogarty or maybe Stephenson with our first pick at this early stage. with our 2nd pick would you take it to the draft or make a play for Jacob Hopper or Matthew Kennedy (i would prefer Hopper) from the giants. would one of them be a more likely B+ to A grader than a player in the 6-10 range this year in your opinion?

Top 50 performers from Friday ;

1. Cerra

2. Lentini

3. Brayshaw

4. Coffield

5. Wellings

6. D’Arcy

7. Searle

8. Styles

9. North

10. Xerri

11. Floyd

12. Parish

13. Caluzzi

14. Morrisby

15. Meek

16. Dreher

17. Podhajski

18. Bernacki

19. Daniels

20. Paton

21. Atley

22. Stoddart

23. Petruccelle

24. Penrith

25. Jones

26. Duursma

27. Elliot

28. Schumacher

29. Day

30. Wooler

31. Hogan

32. Porter

33. Brownless

34. Benson

35. Fletcher

36. Domic

37. Butts

38. Riordan

39. McHenry

40. Trusler

41. Williams

42. Ling

43. Miers

44. D.Henderson

45. Harris

46. Stuhldrier

47. Montanaro

48. Moore

49. Phillips

50. Hitch

North Melbourne look like having a top 5 pick come years end. If not traded as part of the Josh Kelly deal, who should we target? could Cameron Rayner, Fogarty, brander be considered? cheers

Km, just wondering If you know anything about Tere Teio-Yarran from south Fremantle as he has been in their best players for the first few rounds

From researching into him. Small indigenous mid. 170cm, 70kg.

Don't believe I've seen him play to give an account of his game.

hi KM, interested in your opinion on what the lions tactics should be in this years draft/trade/FA. we have 2 1st round picks 1 of which will be top 2-3 (ours) and 1 in the 6-10 range (ports) IMO.

i would be looking at Rayner, Fogarty or maybe Stephenson with our first pick at this early stage. with our 2nd pick would you take it to the draft or make a play for Jacob Hopper or Matthew Kennedy (i would prefer Hopper) from the giants. would one of them be a more likely B+ to A grader than a player in the 6-10 range this year in your opinion?

Port I predict finish higher than that. They should be a top 8 team.

Brisbane most need a key forward. *even assuming Ballenden as an academy player I'd still look at another key forward, viewing Hipwood as a natural key defender.

You'd have to look at those key forwards predicted to be available and assess whether they're the best player there firstly. If you feel a midfielder or someone else playing another position is clearly better, they could be chosen, or otherwise some trade offer if clearly better than whatever players will be there could make that a viable option.

Overall it's about securing a star level talent, or the greatest possible talent with that pick, with something of a leaning towards a key forward if they look as good as the clubs other options.

Hopper and Kennedy both I feel will be better than a pick in the 6-10 range in this draft. They both look to my eyes like clear best five picks from their draft year and would also if in this draft (if I was picking) be players I'd take perhaps even as high as picks 1 or 2 if I'm picking today. They're both out and out guns. Hopper, Kennedy and I'd also bundle Setterfield in with that group. They each possess greater contested ball winning power than the existing GWS mids possess.

1. Cerra

2. Lentini

3. Brayshaw

4. Coffield

5. Wellings

6. D’Arcy

7. Searle

8. Styles

9. North

10. Xerri

11. Floyd

12. Parish

13. Caluzzi

14. Morrisby

15. Meek

16. Dreher

17. Podhajski

18. Bernacki

19. Daniels

20. Paton

21. Atley

22. Stoddart

23. Petruccelle

24. Penrith

25. Jones

26. Duursma

27. Elliot

28. Schumacher

29. Day

30. Wooler

31. Hogan

32. Porter

33. Brownless

34. Benson

35. Fletcher

36. Domic

37. Butts

38. Riordan

39. McHenry

40. Trusler

41. Williams

42. Ling

43. Miers

44. D.Henderson

45. Harris

46. Stuhldrier

47. Montanaro

48. Moore

49. Phillips

50. Hitch

A number of those you rated low I actually though were terrific. McHenry, Trusler and Ling are among those lower rated players as some top of mind examples I wrote glowingly about in my weekly wrap (to be posted hopefully tomorrow). With a list of 50 players ordered off the back of one performance though, it's bound to happen.

The nature of the games were that they were games very much of glimpses. Some showing more glimpses than others, but picking a standout from the weekend would be what I'd find most challenging from that group.

North Melbourne look like having a top 5 pick come years end. If not traded as part of the Josh Kelly deal, who should we target? could Cameron Rayner, Fogarty, brander be considered? cheers

North Melbourne could do with a boost both through the midfield and up forward. More urgent is a key forward, so maybe a Brander or similar becomes a priority. *And it's a good key forward draft, so there should be a suitable option.

Cameron Rayner as a midfielder through is increasingly becoming my favourite in this draft and the one I'd most want to nab with an early choice. He's the one I look at as possessing genuine super-star talent. Davies-Uniacke may be another.

It's so early in the season, lists will change. Mine sure will with form fluctuations and some either surpassing expectations and others failing to meet expectations.

Martini is a good, productive inside mid. He's one of the SA mids in the mix for selection.

Scharenberg and Walker were two of the more unlucky last year. Neither should be ruled out with improvement.

Martini has been fair to good in the SANFL league team for the past two weekends, Walker didnt get a gig, Sharenberg has been getting around 20 possesions and has been fair to good. Ive been to a couple of U18 Glenelg games, havent seen Jackosn Edwards, there is a mid Henry Papatoulos stands out I think he is their vice captain, Sam Davis has been injured so not sure what is up with him

Can you do a top 5 for me knightmare. Thanks mate.

My AFL Draft Power Rankings (top 20) - which went up on ESPN April 4th is now on page 2.

I don't want to give away what will be next months power rankings but there will be two players in my 6-10 range I'll be moving into my top 5.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi KM, I've asked you this before but you didn't know much about him as an under 16, but now that he's playing TAC Cup, do you know anything of Thar from the Western Jets and his potential to be an AFL footballer? I'm good mates with him and saw him in your write-up last week.

Having seen both of his TAC Cup games this year. First game didn't take much notice, second game I liked what I saw in glimpses with the one play I made mention of really making me sit up and take notice.

Thar is small but with ball in hand can have his moments. His sidestep the other week really caught my eye. Just timed it in general play so well and absolutely took off. Clearly has acceleration. So he has a point of difference. That's what recruiters look for, that you have something that others don't.

Another year till draft eligible. If he puts in the work and keeps getting better he is a draft possibility. Getting noticed as a bottom ager is a good start though.

1. Cerra

2. Lentini

3. Brayshaw

4. Coffield

5. Wellings

6. D’Arcy

7. Searle

8. Styles

9. North

10. Xerri

11. Floyd

12. Parish

13. Caluzzi

14. Morrisby

15. Meek

16. Dreher

17. Podhajski

18. Bernacki

19. Daniels

20. Paton

21. Atley

22. Stoddart

23. Petruccelle

24. Penrith

25. Jones

26. Duursma

27. Elliot

28. Schumacher

29. Day

30. Wooler

31. Hogan

32. Porter

33. Brownless

34. Benson

35. Fletcher

36. Domic

37. Butts

38. Riordan

39. McHenry

40. Trusler

41. Williams

42. Ling

43. Miers

44. D.Henderson

45. Harris

46. Stuhldrier

47. Montanaro

48. Moore

49. Phillips

50. Hitch
You ranked Caluzzi at 13 and Bernacki at 18. Both have been cut from the Vic Metro team. Thought they would have deserved another run, what about you?

You ranked Caluzzi at 13 and Bernacki at 18. Both have been cut from the Vic Metro team. Thought they would have deserved another run, what about you?
On last weeks form I thought they would've got another chance. Hopefully both will continue to play good football and maybe be looked at further down the track.

From your most recent write up Tristan Xerri appears to be trending towards the #1 pick given his size and being a Fwd that can ruck that gets possessions and tackles all at 201cm. Is this consistent of his output or was that a once off?

Hi Knightmare,

I haven't read all the threads, but do you look at the talent coming from the Div 2 Championships? eg NSW, Q, Tas, NT. If so do you go beyond the standard Spargo, Blakey discussions to look at other players?

Can you see Rayner going number 1 KM? I think he will keep projecting up and pip Fogarty. A long way out but I love what I have seen.

Rayner isn't being spoken about as a number one pick yet. Some draft followers I've spoken to don't even have him in their top 10s yet. So he doesn't seem to be getting that kind of respect yet.

I like his game though. I like it a lot. If I had pick one I'd be considering him. He has game.

From your most recent write up Tristan Xerri appears to be trending towards the #1 pick given his size and being a Fwd that can ruck that gets possessions and tackles all at 201cm. Is this consistent of his output or was that a once off?

Xerri trending towards the number one pick? He's not considered a first round choice yet.

On form while he has shown signs he has not in his x3 TAC Cup games finished among the bests for Western either. He only has two tackles from his three TAC Cup games. So I'm not seeing where you're getting any of that from. His numbers aren't overly high but what he is showing is some AFL attributes which make me view him as very draftable and worth tracking.

Hi Knightmare,

I haven't read all the threads, but do you look at the talent coming from the Div 2 Championships? eg NSW, Q, Tas, NT. If so do you go beyond the standard Spargo, Blakey discussions to look at other players?

I used to watch all Div 2 U18 Champs games I could watch, and if any games were played in Victoria I'd get along to them. This year it's much lower profile now that it is the Academy Series. No stats available, no footage, no games in Victoria. So there is no way for me given this to track it.

It seems with the Allies as part of the Div 1 U18 games now that we'll all just be watching that and hoping all the worthwhile players make the Allies squad.

It's mostly those who play TAC Cup I see lots of.

Brander, Ballenden, Crossley, Powell, Blakey and Spargo are top of mind among those better div 2 players I'll be tracking this year.

Rayner isn't being spoken about as a number one pick yet. Some draft followers I've spoken to don't even have him in their top 10s yet. So he doesn't seem to be getting that kind of respect yet.

I like his game though. I like it a lot. If I had pick one I'd be considering him. He has game.

When you say "draft followers" are you talking about pro scouts or other online amateur scouts?

From the people you have spoken to, who is being mentioned in the number one discussion, and top 5/10 prospects.

Cheers Knightmare.

When you say "draft followers" are you talking about pro scouts or other online amateur scouts?

From the people you have spoken to, who is being mentioned in the number one discussion, and top 5/10 prospects.

Cheers Knightmare.

Clubs, media and online amateur scouts all inclusively I refer to when I say "draft followers."

Brander, D.Fogarty, O'Brien and Stephenson are generally those top four spoken about on most boards. From there, there is variety with Higgins, Ballenden, Hayes, Davies-Uniacke, Rayner and Garner among that next group mostly spoken about for a rough early feel.

KM other than Balta (even though he hasn't done anything to set the world a light so far this year), who else from the Cannons do you think could get drafted?
It looks from their list they have already given up on this season and are playing a lot of bottom age boys to concentrate on next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back