Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2017 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pies looking good for a top 3 pick!

1. Rayner
2. LDU
3. Will Sutherland?

I'm not convinced Collingwood will lose enough to get into the top 3. When Varcoe and Wells return. Collingwood will win games. If Collingwood do keep losing, Sutherland (if he enters the draft) might be one the Pies target given the clubs key forward need.

1. Rayner
2. LDU
3. Will Sutherland?

I'm not convinced Collingwood will lose enough to get into the top 3. When Varcoe and Wells return. Collingwood will win games. If Collingwood do keep losing, Sutherland (if he enters the draft) might be one the Pies target given the clubs key forward need.
I think we are red hot to lose a lot more and I'm definitely one of the more positive Collingwood posters. I can see us winning 2-3 tops. So that should put us right up there with a top 3 pick.

Best KP Back men of the Champs: Who do you rank in your top 3?
Naughton, Clavarino and Petty for mine next best Taylor, Balta and Ballenden.
Haven't seen enough of Wooller seen you rank him highly as do a few others?

Naughton and Taylor - WA
Petty- SA
Balta, Wooller and Podhajski - Vic M
Jaska and Clavarino- Vic C
Ballenden- Allies

Naughton and Taylor - WA
Petty- SA
Ballenden- Allies
Is Podhajski a back (been playing some great footy) or is he a wing that can run in and use his skills to kick goals?

Is Podhajski a back (been playing some great footy) or is he a wing that can run in and use his skills to kick goals?

Just sololy going off last game he was listed a FB? Spent a a lot of time down back. He is probably was an attacking defender a higher KP role, that he played last game against SA... could be wrong tho.

Naughton and Taylor - WA
Petty- SA
Ballenden- Allies

It's a deep group of talls this year. Forward, back, ruck. There's depth.

Ballenden was terrific in that one game where he played back. He'd be the best key defender of the group, but likely develops into a combo ruckman/key forward.

Petty's game v Metro was seriously impressive. I was asking myself watching that game whether he is the best key defender in the draft class. He's on my watchlist.

Naughton down back has been intercepting well and taking 1v1 intercept marks.

Clavarino is winning 1v1s and taking marks in those contests, some intercept marks. He's up there also. Jaska pretty solid.

Wooller is more a key forward/mid, haven't seen him play back. Balta though intercepting and providing run is more than capable down back. Podhajski also as that run and intercept tall defender is handy.

Then you've got Brander for Allies as another.

For a top 3? *Excluding Ballenden
Brander, Balta, Naughton is my order for now. Though Brander and Balta I still much prefer as forwards with Brander struggling to contain influence of better key forwards and Balta influential more in patches than consistently.

Podhajski is mostly an (undersized) key defender but can swing forward as needed.

He can provide some run, so he can push up the field somewhat. He's very uncontested so I wouldn't be putting him anywhere near the midfield or even wing. I like the run he provides down back and maybe as something like a third tall who can provide some run and play taller. That's roughly how I see his game.

Knightmare who do you see tigers targeting with there 2 first round picks we need some good KP body's and some may slide to us in the draft.

Will leave it to Knightmare to answer, but I can say various recruiters were very pissed off with his omission from the Metro team, notably WB, Brisbane, GWS and North.
Hmmmmm, is that right? Didn't see much of him on Friday but we need players with run and dash desperately. What are his footskills like?

First game off a 6 week break with a quad tear and Andy Brayshaw gets 20 touches on 57% game time at 85% efficiency.

Will only get better as he continues to recover.

If he isn't in first round calculations, I don't have a clue about recruiting or talent identification.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petty's game v Metro was seriously impressive. I was asking myself watching that game whether he is the best key defender in the draft class. He's on my watch-list.

Yep....My thoughts exactly.....If he's not top 20, then somethings amiss.

His balance, poise & composure is the best of all the Key position prospects.

Not often key defenders go in the top 20 unless they really stand out.

Naughton, Taylor, Clavarino, Petty... They're all viable defenders but it will be interesting to see if any of those fall into the top 20.

First game off a 6 week break with a quad tear and Andy Brayshaw gets 20 touches on 57% game time at 85% efficiency.

If he isn't in first round calculations, I don't have a clue about recruiting or talent identification.

I placed him instantly into 18th of my rankings off one game viewing and I was strongly considering placing him a lot higher. I think after wednesday and rewatching the weekends game, he will be moving up the rankings. I was really impressed with his speed, that was the part of his game that stood out a little for me.

I placed him instantly into 18th of my rankings off one game viewing and I was strongly considering placing him a lot higher. I think after wednesday and rewatching the weekends game, he will be moving up the rankings. I was really impressed with his speed, that was the part of his game that stood out a little for me.

Go back and watch the TAC grand final from last season and you'll understand why he should end up being a first round lock at the end of this year.

Rarely misses targets, makes composed decisions and wins his own footy.

Knightmare how is Jack Petruccelle trackin sounds like what we need.

Petruccelle has some attributes. Acceleration is among the best in this draft. He's an excellent contested ball winner and he's influential when he gets it - 8/9 disposal games feel like double that quiet often. Kicking lets him down and could find more of the footy.

There's something to work with. Albeit like everyone else in the draft, isn't perfect.

Knightmare who do you see tigers targeting with there 2 first round picks we need some good KP body's and some may slide to us in the draft.

Naish may be one of those depending on bidding.

Lachie O'Brien (outside skill and pace) and Noah Balta (kpp who can play anywhere and also has genuine acceleration and athleticism) are two who could be considered.

Will leave it to Knightmare to answer, but I can say various recruiters were very pissed off with his omission from the Metro team, notably WB, Brisbane, GWS and North.

Petruccelle played Friday v SA. He just hasn't been up around the ball much, needing to play forward with so many mids in the Vic Metro side.

A solid outing though impact not up there with the better mids. I'm not yet convinced he's a first round choice. He still needs to prove to me he can impact games more than others and do something others can't.

I'd love to hear from some of the SA posters what they think of Petty. Was that just an outlier game? Is he that good every week? I just hadn't heard any talk about him prior to the match.

He's not off one game in my best 20, but tentative best 30, conditional on him backing up that performance with further strong performances.

A solid outing though impact not up there with the better mids. I'm not yet convinced he's a first round choice. He still needs to prove to me he can impact games more than others and do something others can't.

Oliver Florent and Will Setterfield didn't do things others couldn't. They just did everything normal very well, and made their team mates look better as a result. That's the impact I would want as a coach, not someone who does a few flashy exciting things then goes missing (a la Stringer, J. Elliot)

Florent and Setterfield both were comfortable first rounders in what most say was a stronger midfield draft than this year.

I think Brayshaw (whilst a slightly different size/type player) is in a similar mould.

Oliver Florent and Will Setterfield didn't do things others couldn't. They just did everything normal very well, and made their team mates look better as a result. That's the impact I would want as a coach, not someone who does a few flashy exciting things then goes missing (a la Stringer, J. Elliot)

Florent and Setterfield both were comfortable first rounders in what most say was a stronger midfield draft than this year.

I think Brayshaw (whilst a slightly different size/type player) is in a similar mould.

With midfielders my interest is in a combination of production and impact. Brayshaw can find the footy. His impact per possession however is low. He can get 30 disposals and you wouldn't know he had more than 15 disposals if you weren't looking for it.

Florent and Setterfield have more distinct points of difference.

Setterfield at his height with his contested ball winning capability and skills.

Florent with his endurance and those performances in big games.

With Setterfield you could feel his influences per possession. Florent is more like Brayshaw in that he can have 30 and you wouldn't realise, though he does have a few more distinct points of difference to push him ahead still.

With midfielders my interest is in a combination of production and impact. Brayshaw can find the footy. His impact per possession however is low. He can get 30 disposals and you wouldn't know he had more than 15 disposals if you weren't looking for it.

Florent and Setterfield have more distinct points of difference.

Setterfield at his height with his contested ball winning capability and skills.

Florent with his endurance and those performances in big games.

With Setterfield you could feel his influences per possession. Florent is more like Brayshaw in that he can have 30 and you wouldn't realise, though he does have a few more distinct points of difference to push him ahead still.

I'm willing to bet the farm (unless he is injured) your opinion will have changed by the end of the TAC finals series.

not sure but think Coffield is the bonti off this group....... will end up pick 3
thoughts

Setterfield and Florent where obvious first rounders last year, and at one stage Setterfield was in talks of Pick 1. Can't compare them in terms of picks. You could possibly compare some playing traits between the three but Setterfield was a 190cm contest ball driven player, where as Florent was a menace around the goals and ran all day.

There are several midfielders in the draft well ahead of Brayshaw currently, could at least list 10-15. He still has one more champs game and back half of TAC Cup season to impress. His rankings right now is outside the top 30, many have him there, even top recruiters as well. Obviously I'm on your bandwagon in the sense, of waiting to see his form in the back half of the TAC Cup season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back