Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the opposite in '07.

From memory they tossed a coin during the week to determine the 'home' team. No idea if this is still the case.
Since 2016 it's been the higher ranked team is the "home" team in the grand final. It changed mid-finals because the previous rule was the winner of PF1 was the "home" team. The home team in PF1 is the winner of the 1st vs 4th QF, but 2016 saw Sydney (1) lose to GWS (4) in the QF which made the Giants the highest seed in finals, and then GWS lost the PF to the Bulldogs (7) who became the highest seed in the Grand Final against Sydney, the actual highest seed after the H&A season. There's a thread on the footy jumpers board which goes over it
Who gets to be the "home team" for the Grand Final?

Current Policy: The team who finished higher on the ladder

For many years, this was not the case. It was only introduced ahead of the 2016 Grand Final, when Sydney (1st) played the Western Bulldogs (7th). The convention had been that the Grand Final was officially named as "Winner Preliminary Final 1 v Winner Preliminary Final 2". As the Swans lost their Qualifying Final, they ended up on the other side of the draw, and thus won through to the Grand Final via the 2nd Preliminary Final. Going on previous history, the Grand Final should have technically been "Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans", and early retail versions of the AFL Record were indeed printed in this way.

View attachment 553775

But the AFL at some point had changed their mind, and all official usage throughout the week and for the matchday edition of the AFL Record was "Sydney Swans v Western Bulldogs". There was no official word from the AFL on this at the time, but journalists from ESPN reported during Grand Final week that the AFL changed their convention to have the higher-ranked team named first.

View attachment 553770

This rule was finally confirmed by the AFL in 2018. Richmond (1st) had been defeated in the Preliminary Final by Collingwood (3rd). The other Prelim between West Coast (2nd) and Melbourne (5th) was yet to be played. Patrick Keane tweeted to say that the highest ranked team at the end of Round 23 would be named first.

View attachment 562781

Prior to 2016, the convention for the winner of the 1st Preliminary Final to be named first was true of every year going back to 1996, with the most recent example being 2015 where the Hawthorn (3rd) were the listed home team against West Coast (2nd) after defeating Fremantle (1st) in the 1st Preliminary Final.

View attachment 553768

The bars design doesn’t need to be black and white to look good in my opinion.

''
Black and white are an integral part of the Prison Bars guernsey. Producing a guernsey in the same pattern but in different colours plays into the hands of the likes of Eddie Maguire.

Black and white are an integral part of the Prison Bars guernsey. Producing a guernsey in the same pattern but in different colours plays into the hands of the likes of Eddie Maguire.
The American flag would look great with green stripes too said no American ever

And actually would’ve looked a lot better than those original guernseys.

And we wouldn’t have needed to change our strip multiple times over and wearing the traditional black and white strip once a year would be more accepted too.

The bars design doesn’t need to be black and white to look good in my opinion.

Missed a trick with that a bit

I think if we'd just worn black and teal bars when we entered the league we'd probably still be wearing them now, and it would have maintained some of the visual continuity between our pre-AFL branding and our AFL branding and helped to avoid a lot of the identity crisis stuff we had in the mid 2000s.

Now though? We've conceded enough ground. We should have the right to wear our preferred guernsey at home and compromising further doesn't strengthen our position, it weakens it.

Its alright guys, a new STEM classroom is on the way at Alberton and a new synthetic bowling green!

Get excited. Premiership on the way.

HYPED!!

A mate of mine pretty critical of Port and Hinks has been banned from posting on the Port page 😂 quite the precious bunch
Theyve been doing this for years. They police facebook like the gestapo. X is the wild west of hilarity because they cant moderate the comments.

Theyve been doing this for years. They police facebook like the gestapo. X is the wild west of hilarity because they cant moderate the comments.
They can hide comments (would then show up in hidden replies area) on there and block/mute people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The moment you realise that the boulder rolled back over Sisyphus and he ain't pushing it up the hill no more.

This forum only exists as the dying screams of the Ghosts of Premierships past.
There will be no Robin Williams moment.
No one in control cares.

The rosebuds are a lie.
It's over.

It's simply a bunch of overpaid clowns marketing to a bunch of even bigger clowns, while the goodwill this club once had is turned to mush.

Haunt his club as you wish boys, no one is listening.
They are playing darts.

Those that are standing on the shoulders of the great are pissing on their heads and laughing about it.
They will never have their pictures on the wall.
Once they are gone, they will be forgotten.

All we can hope for is that the pictures of the true heroes of this club remain on the wall.

Last edited:
The moment you realise that the boulder rolled back over Sisyphus and he ain't pushing it up the hill no more.

This forum only exists as the dying screams of the Ghosts of Premierships past.
There will be no Robin Williams moment.
No one in control cares.

The rosebuds are a lie.
It's over.

It's simply a bunch of overpaid clowns marketing to a bunch of even bigger clowns, while the goodwill this club once had is turned to mush.

Haunt his club as you wish boys, no one is listening.
They are playing darts.

Those that are standing on the shoulders of the great are pissing on their heads and laughing about it.

It is important to play the long game, because no happy-clapper will ever put the effort to bring the club up when it goes down.

It is important to play the long game, because no happy-clapper will ever put the effort to bring the club up when it goes down.
I could simply like this post, but I now feel that the long game is playing us.

Heritage Round => Retro Round
The constant teal washing
The museum of When We Had Goodwill
It had a last gasp in 2020, we saw the heroes amongst the clowns, I had hope.
But it has been for nought.

How many new photos are on the wall?
None.

We are etching the names of nobodies onto the Honour Boards.
But look closely.
Those in the future will see names like Koch and Hinkley.
They will see no premiership photos.

They will understand.

Last edited:
Just a shame that we invested $1.5mill a year for zerk and ratugolea to come in and make our defence worse than last year. McKenzie on one leg was better. ratugolea mauled yesterday against jesse hogan. Should have been creative in getting in cost effectgive backman that can do a job. i.e Mark keanes of the world

Re the jumper debate, like many I was strongly against any change to the PB's but in hindsight I suspect no-one had any idea it was going to be trashed multiple times this millenium by players who wouldn't have got a run in the club's magoos in our golden eras, or been good enough to have survived pre-season training and unfortunately not all have been top ups.

As much as we love the PB's in black and white it's the design that is iconic, if we had entered the AFL with a black and teal version there would have been so many options over the years where it could have been tweaked, and as suggested by NoddyHolder it would have definitely weakened the `their not the real Port Adelaide' BS!

it's clearly time to boycott adelaide oval and make the attendance figures worse, it's the only thing that will make them do something, if you attend a port game again you are a massive problem sorry no time to sugar coat this anymore

The club completely stuffed up big time not coming in with an iteration of the prison bars. Replacing white with the silver/ grey seemed like the logical choice (I recall the advertiser had a cartoon of Scott Hodges wearing it and being absolutely pumped). I'm sure Ive seen it on here.

What we have now is nothing resembling Port apart from the white number panel (which we lobbied KT and the club hard for years to get)

it's clearly time to boycott adelaide oval and make the attendance figures worse, it's the only thing that will make them do something, if you attend a port game again you are a massive problem sorry no time to sugar coat this anymore

I’ve been doing my part. 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Back