Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

If he has signed for 2 years, and we can bring in Smith and another high quality midfielder or two, we are back among it again.
Defense is strong, forwardline will be high scoring again next season, the issue last season that we didn't address and hurt us tonight is lack of depth in midfield.
Guys like Holmes and Bruhn will continue to develop, and maybe we get more out of Bowes, but unless someone like a Clark or Stevens have break out years, or we find another Tim Kelly in the lower leagues, we don't have anyone on our list to break into the midfield and take us further.

If we get Smith in that helps, but thats assuming he bounces back from an ACL. I would hope the clubs current wishlist is 2x mids that immediately are best 22 and maybe a ruck.

But fix that midfield and we finish top 4 again and give ourselves another chance.

Mullin has the makings of future Midfield star
He is fast, tough, balanced and can run all game
His footy smarts and skill are improving quickly
Has the temperament and attitude to succeed
Will be best 22 regular player next year

Guthrie is cooked as are duncan bews rohan stanley (most wont be on the list next year).

For next year demspey mannagh and humphries need to keep improving and be in our best 10 players. And we need clark and knevitt to come on very quick or trade in some good mids. And we need a capable ruck-we have to put sdk in there (much as i hate it) or trade in a ruck pronto.

The 28 + age guys cant be relied upon to carry us its the ones underneath that need to step up.
I agree that Duncan, Stanley, Bews and Rohan are cooked. Duncan has expressed a desire to play on but I don't think it is a good idea. Stanley was ok tonight apart from the shank at the end. However he is not going to last another season.

According to K-Rock, we would have been without J Henry, Bruhn and Holmes next week anyway. All saw out the game significantly hampered. We wouldn't have stood a chance.

Finals pressure did what it always does - reveal those tiny things we haven't quite got right.

Also according to KRock, we had 44 tackles to half time and 13 more for the rest of the match.

It doesn't hurt as much as it did twenty years and three days ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, he is a total liability. If he is in the midfield next year we are cooked.
The only thing he gets into the midfield for is to tag, and teams just don't really play dedicated taggers anymore.

If they want him playing midfield, he should have spent this season in the VFL in the guts getting 85% or more game time learning the position.

I just don't see the hype. He has not been good enough in the games he plays to be in the team at the expense tonight of a guy like Tuohy.

If you want to force games into someone, do it with someone with a higher ceiling who plays a position we have a dire need for in Clarke or Stevens or Willis. They have a much higher ceiling than Mullin and its not like Mullin is playing so well when he is in the VFL that he is banging down the door for an AFL spot like Atkins was back in the day.

Yes there are nice things to like about some of his attributes but more often then not when he is in the team we are a man down, and even when he has a "good game" like he did against Sydney in the end Papley obliterated him and was the match winner. How does that help him or us?

I thought Neale was good, all things considered but in particular his experience.
Brought it to ground far more often than not, used the ball really well at times and didn't stuff up anything from what I remember, against one of the very best key backs in the comp.
Has cemented his spot in the 18 no doubt in my mind, his 2 finals were very very promising.
I disagree.

It really hurts being so close
But we weren't really consistent enough this season as brilliant we can be for patches
Development and additions of Humphries, Mannagh, Dempsey were huge this year and add something to build on
Hope we make a few good trades and go again next year

Good to see Bailey Smith in the crowd supporting the boys.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Another Prelim choke.
You actually thought we were in complete control today?
heck I must of been watching a totally different game.
Might as well blame Maxy for going down with iffy strings.
A game of many great moments unfortunately the Lions had a few more of them than we did.
That is football. Always has been always will be.
Cheers bud. Cheer up as the sun will rise tomorrow.

Just walking back from the game. Not sure what it looked like on the telly but the Bowes holding the ball in the 3rd quarter when he tried to take on the tackler (when he didn’t really need to) seemed like a massive momentum swinger. We lost a few contests like that when we seemed to have numbers. A bit of bounce of the ball stuff too. Lost our heads for a period of time there, whinging to the umpire for the Guthrie arm chop. Lost our composure and they put a few goals on the board. Some terrible shallow entries from a variety of players straight to Brisbane on the 3rd quarter, allowed them to slice us up through the middle. Gryan had one turnover that was equally as bad as his soccer cross was good.

Some poor moments from Stengle & Cameron up forward, left a few goals on the table that would have been very handy. Plus both turning over the ball at times with poor options or fumbles. Stengle trying to hit Danger was pretty deflating. Mannagh with the grubber too earlier in the game.

Don’t want to second guess the Neale Hawkins decision as it seemed the right one, but Shannon has to be stronger in the contest. Ended up on the ground at so many contests, and I’m wondering just how ‘good’ his hands are. Looked like a very grabbable one in the last that he dropped and fell over again.

In the positive, have to admire us to keep coming in the last when I thought we were done. And huge game from Lawson Humphries, what he might have lost in some other contests he made up for by giving us run and clean ball use while others were turning it over left right and centre. What a find. Blitz was huge at times. Ollie Henry a bit of the full package, missed the sitter, couldn’t stop a couple of intercepts but kept kicking goals and giving us a chance.

Ah well. Love this club.

Last edited:
My eardrums are still recovering from sitting in front of the loudest Geelong supporter I’ve ever come across. Shout out to everyone in N29

I’m not angry about the result. But it is a kick in the guts to lose like that. It felt like a couple more goals at the start of the 3rd quarter might’ve been enough to have the Lions spiralling. But we let them off the hook and their midfield got back on top.

I reckon Sydney will smash them. Feels like it’s their time

100 %. If we keep it up for 10mins at the start of the 3rd they wilt. But we came out of HT very poorly.

Sydney will 100 % win.

I can't be to critical of the players tonight they left nothing out there except 3 or 4 goals you can't win them all a special mention to Lawson Humphries in the final quarter a 10 gamer taking the game on trying like buggery to lift the side he's quickly becoming a favourite.
Hmm it was 59-24 after paddy’s first goal of the third quarter… when they stepped it up we looked lost. Quite a few players didn’t do enough….

I agree that Duncan, Stanley, Bews and Rohan are cooked. Duncan has expressed a desire to play on but I don't think it is a good idea. Stanley was ok tonight apart from the shank at the end. However he is not going to last another season.
I agree. But I think they give Stanley another 12 months. As back up. Not saying I would but I think they will. Have lockness and SDK as prime rucks with Stanley around to pinch hit as needed.

I don’t think they want to bring in a “Stanley type” given they know what they have. And they are backing the younger guys in that role I think.

They may also keep Duncan but if they do he will be like Higgins/dal of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back