Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

I agree that Duncan, Stanley, Bews and Rohan are cooked. Duncan has expressed a desire to play on but I don't think it is a good idea. Stanley was ok tonight apart from the shank at the end. However he is not going to last another season.

I agree its clear that duncan needs to be tapped and told he is being delisted if he wont retire.

Bruhn didn’t have a great game but he is 22. Bowes and Atkins more likely to be pushed out of the middle by Bailey Smith and Clark, I think.

Dempsey could not get near it for nearly a half then came good and had some important moments.

Mullin a bit lost at times and did some nice things - I think he is a footballer, not just an athlete, but a gaelic footballer and not an aussie rules footballer just yet - excited to see how he goes next year.

Humphries was great. HBF in the long term, or a winger or midfielder? The sky is the limit.

Neale competed and took a few important marks in the second half, and doesn’t drop his head which was a worry I had early. A shame about his shot for goal but failing to make the distance is a lot better than a shank in a hot prelim.

Mannagh was good and will keep improving now he knows the level. A bit too hungry occasionally but he makes things happen.

Ollie Henry had 4.1, a goal assist and a total of 10 score involvements. A big game player.

Max Holmes is a star. I was worried that he would end up relegated to a wing or HBF. No chance. Keep him in the guts.

I thought Neale was good, all things considered but in particular his experience.
Brought it to ground far more often than not, used the ball really well at times and didn't stuff up anything from what I remember, against one of the very best key backs in the comp.
Has cemented his spot in the 18 no doubt in my mind, his 2 finals were very very promising.
I'm a advocate for Neale.. but tonight he was poor... we need to look at another Key Forward in this years draft, as I personally think he still a question mark

Ok I was prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, but now I will call it more accurately, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Mullin will be fine long term but playing him tonight wasnt great selection.
If we leave either him or bews out for knevitt, leave duncan out and put clohesy as sub and pick sdk over stanley we probably win that. Small margins sometimes.

If Cam Rayner has a good game, you are doing something wrong.

Rough. He’s terribly inconsistent but when he’s on he’s a match winner and has shown that numerous times across his career. He’s as likely to win the Norm Smith as he is to have 6 possessions next week.

I'm a advocate for Neale.. but tonight he was poor... we need to look at another Key Forward in this years draft, as I personally think he still a question mark

We wont have the picks this year to do that. We can only hope we can get cadman home in a couple of years.

If Tanner Bruhn, Ollie Henry, Ollie Dempsey (who was very poor), Shannon Neale, Lawson Humphries, Jack Bowes, Oisin Mullin and poor old Max Holmes want a flag then they're really gonna have to dig deep in the next year or 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100 %. If we keep it up for 10mins at the start of the 3rd they wilt. But we came out of HT very poorly.

Sydney will 100 % win.
If Swans win good on them they been the best team.
Even in a even ish year.
But Brisbane can beat them imo.

Checking stats and considering some players performance, an absolute indictment on the midfield than Ollie Henry, whose a low possession forward in a Rohan type vein, had more disposals than 3 starting midfielders in Atkins (who had a shocker), Bowes (who did a few nice things but.... not a good game) and Bruhn (who was unsighted)....
Absolute indictment on those 3 in particular.

The stats absolutely speak for themselves.
And yet I thought all 3 were ok, by their own standards.
We probably shouldnt have been as close as a Prelim.

If we leave either him or bews out for knevitt, leave duncan out and put clohesy as sub and pick sdk over stanley we probably win that. Small margins sometimes.
Stanley wasn't the problem tonight and SDK isn't a ruck (not yet anyway).

SDK is a good backup ruck in the Blicavs role, which is where his best games this year where (not including the Bulldogs game), but people thinking he is going to be like TDK next season aren't on the right track.

If Stanley retires, which is a possibility, offseason shopping list needs to be 2 mids and a proper ruck.

Conway is never fit, Furphy is untested, Blicavs is better in defence and SDK has about 5 games in the ruck so hardly a good enough pool and if Blicavs goes to shit SDK might be needed in defence.

All year it was an issue not having a midfielder who can rack up possessions, and Smiths best season in 2022 he was averaging 29.
Smith would be a massive improvement in the middle but we would still be a midfielder short.

That said I hope we sink a whole preseason into Stewart in the midfield. He was excellent with the exception of the Dockers game since he went into the middle after the Essendon match.
Not sure why he didn't spend much time in the middle tonight but not playing there hurt us.

Agree on Clohesy, Mullin seems an easy target when half a dozen of our ‘stars’ just didn’t show up.

Homles speed.

Mullin game vs port was good on Horne.

Interesting were he's career goes from here.
It wasn't bad but helped by how dominant we were, JHF averages 21 disposals a game and against Mullin had 18, he averages a goal a game and kicked one on Mullin and he was Ports 2nd best player.

So lets not act like he completely shut him out. I think just about anyone could have had a similar day on JHF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back