Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

Mids prob weren’t smashed as much as we have been and they have a crack but they lost easily. We lost clearence, stoppages, hard balls etc etc

Bruhn, Axe, Bowes just aren’t of the standard of other midfields.

The Fwds also give nothing in the air. Cameron and Neale don’t look like it. Henry kicks goals and that is literally it. His man runs off him at will. He’s like a talented local player from the 90s

That third quarter where we just so uncharacteristic 🤦‍♂️ the ball pinging from end to end. We had so many good looks and just made horrendous mistakes. From guys who usually are deadly.

Bad loss

Might be an unpopular opinion but if we are giving Danger 2 years could he play out of the goal square and Neale can play ruck? I feel Dangers midfield days are coming to and end.
We need to find another kamikaze bull though. Not sure Holmes is the replacement yet.

But I feel danger would be very handy at full forward as long our mids kick to him on a lead.

Might be an unpopular opinion but if we are giving Danger 2 years could he play out of the goal square and Neale can play ruck? I feel Dangers midfield days are coming to and end.
Neale in the ruck - I want whatever you are on. The guy cannot handle an football if his life depended on it. His face took a mark before his hands.

For me the worst look on the night was Dempsey not interested in giving chase. Maybe it was the way it looked on tv, but for me it was painful to watch.

If Tanner Bruhn, Ollie Henry, Ollie Dempsey (who was very poor), Shannon Neale, Lawson Humphries, Jack Bowes, Oisin Mullin and poor old Max Holmes want a flag then they're really gonna have to dig deep in the next year or 3.
I love Dempsey but if we had made it through with no injuries he would have surely been on the chopping block.
2 awful finals in a row.

Neale in the ruck - I want whatever you are on. The guy cannot handle an football if his life depended on it. His face took a mark before his hands.
Well considering we have no ruck options and probably need SDK down back next year its an option, i reckon Danger would worry a lot of teams at Full Forward

Ummm... What stat are you talking about with 59-24?

The scoreline at quarter time was:
1.5 - 11, vs 3.2 - 20

At halftime the score was:
8.7 - 55, vs 5.6 - 36

We got the first goal of the third to take it to
9.7 - 61, vs 5.6 - 36

But that's only a 25 point lead, not even close to the 35 points you're suggesting
61-36 when paddy scored the goal.
End of game score 95-85 to the lions….
So from paddy’s goal onwards Brisbane scored 59 to the cats 24.
Oh boy…. Correct me if I’m wrong and give me more laughter emoji’s if I am!

Neale in the ruck - I want whatever you are on. The guy cannot handle a football if his life depended on it. His face took a mark before his hands.
He was pretty good in that first final. I’m thinking CHF.

I thought Neale was good, all things considered but in particular his experience.
Brought it to ground far more often than not, used the ball really well at times and didn't stuff up anything from what I remember, against one of the very best key backs in the comp.
Has cemented his spot in the 18 no doubt in my mind, his 2 finals were very very promising.
He was very ordinary tonight. Played from behind and dropped too many marks. Hard to see a future for this guy.

If Tanner Bruhn, Ollie Henry, Ollie Dempsey (who was very poor), Shannon Neale, Lawson Humphries, Jack Bowes, Oisin Mullin and poor old Max Holmes want a flag then they're really gonna have to dig deep in the next year or 3.

With the exception of Bowes, all of those players are 21 or 22 years old. They are the nucleus and you ordinarily don’t win a flag with that age profile.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely electric atmosphere tonight, what a game! Very disappointed in the result obviously but incredibly proud of our club. Many had written us off in making even finals pre-season. We have a bottom 6 midfield so to make the prelim with such a glaring hole in our list is a testament to the efforts of the players and the brilliant coaching. It is clearly an area we need to improve in if we are to make those finals steps. We are still way too overly reliant on a 33 year old Danger and a 22 year old kid in Max Holmes. I believe we’ll be thereabouts again next season with the addition of a few new players and the continued development of our younger players. The off-season will be an interesting time.

Well considering we have no ruck options and probably need SDK down back next year its an option, i reckon Danger would worry a lot of teams at Full Forward

It's going to be an option I think, I'm just no sold. I'm not 100% sure he'd contribute enough to warrant it, and I have no confidence in his goal kicking. Likewise I feel he'd be a bit Dan Menzel in that his opponent will just walk away from him and create link up while he stands 60m away.
I wouldn't mind it as a switch up option, or using him as a midfield moving half forward like we've used Miers and Mannagh recently.

Fagan all class in his presser.

“This is not Geelong's fault, but if you look at their last game of the season against West Coast, they were 100 points in front at half-time. It was a low-pressure, low-contested game. Then they have the week off, and then they play Port in a final where it was a similar sort of game, low-pressure, low-contest game. Then they have another week off," Fagan said.

"I just felt like, it's good to have the time off, but you need the games that you play to be really hard, tough games, and maybe at the end that showed. Our harder preparation enabled us to run the game out, and I would have thought that would have been a real challenge."

Fagan all class in his presser.

“This is not Geelong's fault, but if you look at their last game of the season against West Coast, they were 100 points in front at half-time. It was a low-pressure, low-contested game. Then they have the week off, and then they play Port in a final where it was a similar sort of game, low-pressure, low-contest game. Then they have another week off," Fagan said.

"I just felt like, it's good to have the time off, but you need the games that you play to be really hard, tough games, and maybe at the end that showed. Our harder preparation enabled us to run the game out, and I would have thought that would have been a real challenge."

Which is why the bullshit knee jerk reaction pre-finals bye is bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back