List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s contracted, do you recon he’s going to sit of out of the AFL until his contract with us expires?

No, obviously not.

He’d come back here and be motivated to put in an other good year to attract big money offers from Victoria.

As I said in the above post which you have quoted, I don't think anything that Dan said on Monday night influenced their decision to accept or reject the deal.

Haha FMD. Dan was in our leadership group, so clearly not considered an "entitled and toxic jerk" until 15 minutes ago.

Fans are so stupid. As soon as a player gets traded they're toxic. Regardless of the years he spent at our club as highly regarded person.

Enjoy eating up what the club is feeding you.

Dunno where I originally posted this but here it is again.

I've been banging on about the development of key position players for a while now. It started as just defence but eventually overflowed to forwards and then to rucks.

During Hinkley's reign he's struggled to develop the majority of tall players and the LIst Development haven't given him any favours.

We've got year, player, draft selection, then brackets game played.
If no, number then traded in.

2012, Tom Clurey 29 [124], Mason Shaw 30 [0], Jack Hombsch [89]
2013, Mitchell Harvey 45 [0], Brent Renouf R44 [16]
2014 Dougal Howard 56 [45], Logan Austin 59 [13], Billy Frampton 84 [3], Paddy Ryder [73]
2016, Todd Marshall 16 [116], Peter Ladhams R9 [32], Bretty Eddy R26 [3], Jarrod Lienert R42 [23], Charlie Dixon [156]
2017, Sam Hayes 47 [11], Jack Watts [21], Trent McKenzie [58]
2018, Riley Grundy 73 [0], Scott Lycett [71]
2019, Mitch Georgiades 19 [69], Jake Pasini R8 [0], Wylie Buzza [9]
2020, Ollie Lord 49 [19], Aliir Aliir [92]
2021, Dante Visentini 56 [6], Jeremy Finlayson [54], Sam Skinner [2]
2022, Tom McCallum 36 [0], Tom Scully 53 [0], Kyle Marshall 59 [0] Brynn Teakle M8 [6]
2023, Xavier Walsh R13 [0], Esava Ratugolea [23], Brandon Zerk-Thatcher [26], Ivan Soldo [8], Jordon Sweet [17]

From the home grown talent, we have three lower draft picks in Clurey, Marshall and Georgiades getting games. Next is Dougal Howard. Then not a lot after.

With trades we have clear winners in Dixon, Aliir, Hombsch, Ryder, Lycett, Finlayson, McKenzie and recently Sweet and Zerk-Thatcher.

It is around 2020 when we started to get some issues with the tall timber. In 2020, by all accounts, we luck upon Aliir. In 2021, we try out Skinner. In 2022, all of the picks we bring in are key position players, including Teakle. By 2023, we are super desperate and overpay for four missing key position players.

I'm not going to go super deep into analysis but you can see the lack of key position players being picked in the first or second round and when we have invested it has been pretty good with Clurey, Marshall and Georgiades. After those early picks, the majority of our tall stocks have come from trading.

In recent times, the poor list management and development coaching has meant we've had to pay overs to be at least competitive with our tall players.

KEY FORWARDS

Mitch Georgiades - looking great
Todd Marshall - serious injury issues
Esava Ratugolea - honest tryer
Jeremy Finlayson - soft, more backup
Ollie Lord - young and unknown
Tom Scully - yet to debut for the Power

There is Mitch and five question marks. Hopefully Lukosius can play that third tall. He will give us a good, second tall option.

KEY DEFENDERS

Aliir Aliir - very good, 30 but a young 30
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - pretty good
Miles Bergman - excellent up and coming 3rd tall
Tom Clurey - Clayton's delisting
Kyle Marshall - yet to debut
Xavier Walsh - yet to debut

We should be happy with our tall defenders but we could always upgrade Zerk but he's pretty good.

RUCK

Jordon Sweet - number 1 but would love a bit more around the ground
Ivan Soldo - wanting to be traded
Dante Visentini - talented and waiting in the wings

We should be happy with our ruck situation. Once again, it could be better but we have rucks. I guess another developing ruck should be brought in.

Excellent research, I’ve only ever bothered to look at it from the lens of first and second round picks when it comes to KPP so it’s great to have a view of them all.

I think this just reinforces my view that it’s not a lack of development per se but just piss poor list management. Something I’ve been going on about for years in particular regarding our KPD.

The fact that Clurey from back in 2012 remains the highest pick we’ve spent on a KPD is insanity to me. Haven’t used a first rounder on a KPD since Chaplin in 03. A lazy 21 years.

We atleast tried to correct this up forward and finally used some earlier picks on Marshall and Georgiades and lo and behold, they have had much greater success to no surprise.

A breakdown of those KPP draft positions is as below (ignoring trade ins).

1-19: 2
20-29: 1
30-39: 2
40-49: 3
50-59: 6
60+ and Rookie: 10

3/24 picks on KPP have been top 30 picks. We’re not going to have much success with that. The success rate of KPP from 50+ is low. Yet we are continuing to put over 50% of our eggs into that basket for our stocks then we wonder why we don’t have anyone or need to blow even more picks at the trade table.

We’ve just been bloody lucky we were able to trade in some of those players as otherwise we simply hadn’t even tried to draft to fill those holes. Imagine Aliir didn’t come. Lycett (was decent for a bit) or Ryder and hopefully Luko pays off big. Then we have also thrown some Hail Mary shots at terrible KPP players like Buzza, Skinner etc who were just simply big and tall and we hoped would fill in space.

However the fact we have dug ourselves a hole from a list management perspective is known to other teams. They know how desperate we are to fill those gaps and then we end up getting ripped off with trading first rounders or splitting earlier picks to fill those gaps, as we did last year.

I think our list management has been crap for years yet as we have enough midfield talent to carry the team to enough wins, the complete lack of attention to the other areas gets ignored.

Ken gets piled onto and for good reason however IMO our poor list management needs to be put under the spotlight as well.

We haven’t been able to rely on academies or FS hits so we have to actually invest in good players. Which we’ve chosen not to do to instead try and remain competitive.

Haha FMD. Dan was in our leadership group, so clearly not considered an "entitled and toxic jerk" until 15 minutes ago.

Fans are so stupid. As soon as a player gets traded they're toxic. Regardless of the years he spent at our club as highly regarded person.

So highly regarded that he was described as "idiotic" by the GM of football a few years ago.

Such a great leader that he upped and left with 4 years left on a contract less than 12 months after being added to the leadership group.

Such a great guy that he made it clear on Tuesday night in the coldest way imaginable to a very senior person at the club who has supported him for the last decade and who he actually owes his entire football career to (as well as the millions that come with it) that he would not be returning to the club.

If you think that his behaviour is indicative of the type of person you want at your football club, let alone supposedly leading your football club, then you have a very different idea of what that looks like than I do.

The Port Adelaide leadership group? Impressive.

So highly regarded that he was described as "idiotic" by the GM of football a few years ago.

Such a great leader that he upped and left with 4 years left on a contract less than 12 months after being added to the leadership group.

Such a great guy that he made it clear on Tuesday night in the coldest way imaginable to a very senior person at the club who has supported him for the last decade and who he actually owes his entire football career to (as well as the millions that come with it) that he would not be returning to the club.

If you think that his behaviour is indicative of the type of person you want at your football club, let alone supposedly leading your football club, then you have a very different idea of what that looks like than I do.
If this is correct, I’m glad the club traded him. Why accomodate someone who clearly doesn’t want to be here & has the audacity to tell the club he has no intention of coming back.

It sounds like his mind was made up a long time ago & his public declaration of club loyalty & affection was complete bollocks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to 7 news:

Boak to announce future plans in the coming days.

Additional delistings to be announced next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Back