Lonergan Signs 2 year deal with Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Lonergan may be out the door

Geez mate... he kicked more goals then anybody else in the 2nd half of the year at our club.....

Yep- he kicked 36 goals in 16 games and has 42 career goals in 23 games. That's pretty good for a 23 gamer. He could easily kick 60-70 goals in a full season. That's not bad at all.

we have to work with what we have..and lonners is our future....along with gamble and hawkins..

Exactly! After all, the club has stated that their emphasis is going to be on development.

- doesn't take any contested marks - took 10 contested from 16 games. thats better than Tarrant, and around the same as Q. Lynch...

- falls over - everyone was falling over in the GF, but he doesn't fall over more than anyone else in the team normally...no stats for that though...

- is useless on the ground - actually i think he goes well, i remember him in the pocket over here in WA against the Eagles where Commetti said he was 'Steve Johnson like' in working his opponent off the ball, collecting it and snapping for goal...which he missed :)

The argument that he only kicks goals because he plays for the Cats can't be argued against, there is no proof either way.

Personally I would like to see Hawkins in FF if he is fit and firing, and I am not sure where Tom fits in the case, as Mooney is still a certainty for CHF, but i think Tom is a good spare KPP at the very least.

- the boys had a bad day out when it mattered, which was shattering, but you don't make whole sale changes to a team or game plan that won 23 of 25...if we turn around and fail in 09, then take a good hard look at things.

- doesn't take any contested marks - took 10 contested from 16 games. thats better than Tarrant, and around the same as Q. Lynch...

- falls over - everyone was falling over in the GF, but he doesn't fall over more than anyone else in the team normally...no stats for that though...

- is useless on the ground - actually i think he goes well, i remember him in the pocket over here in WA against the Eagles where Commetti said he was 'Steve Johnson like' in working his opponent off the ball, collecting it and snapping for goal...which he missed :)

The argument that he only kicks goals because he plays for the Cats can't be argued against, there is no proof either way.

Personally I would like to see Hawkins in FF if he is fit and firing, and I am not sure where Tom fits in the case, as Mooney is still a certainty for CHF, but i think Tom is a good spare KPP at the very least.

- the boys had a bad day out when it mattered, which was shattering, but you don't make whole sale changes to a team or game plan that won 23 of 25...if we turn around and fail in 09, then take a good hard look at things.

Stop it - there is no place for rational argument or sensible posting on this board. You could be carded for such a blatant breach of Geelong board protocol.

Heck I'd really like to know what passes for a "contested" mark these days if that's true, let's face it, for a bloke his size he's pretty average [ and that's being kind ] overhead when under even the slightest of pressure.

....... but i think Tom is a good spare KPP at the very least.

Agree with that, hopefully the "other" Tom steps up next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ooh... edgy timmy, very edgy.

I dont mean to be insulting but the forward line has been your weak spot for a few years now, propped up by an amazing midfield and some superb small forwards. Mooney had an average year and a worse GF than Lonergan, and is a lot older. In a few years he'll be gone. You've already lost Nathan Ablett. And as promising as HAwkins may be, you just dont know if he'll be a Jonathon Brown or a Lance Whitnall.

I'm astounded that a guy who has come back from a serious kidney injury only a year ago, can be such a scapegoat, when your stocks of key forwards are realtively low.

Mooney had an average year and a worse GF than Lonergan, and is a lot older. In a few years he'll be gone.

a worse gf than lonergan....how so?

i thought mooney played well and was only let down by very poor conversion. if mooney kicked straight he could have had 4 or 5 goals and this whole discussion would be mute.

cheers wag.

It's so insane. All the memories ... I mean, what would you do if a guy like John Lennon turned up at the studio and said, 'I've got a new song'. I said, 'What's the words?' and he replied 'You know my name look up the number'. I asked, 'What's the rest of it?' 'No, no other words, those are the words. And I want to do it like a mantra!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRMsC4HIJFQ

I prefer their version to your little unfab four.

How long before you think it gets old?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lonergan Signs 2 year deal with Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Back