Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Walker blaming injuries for our form was a prime example of our pathetic culture.

According to Tom Morris' report a few weeks back, the players/club had big meeting, driven by younger players (named Rash, Riley) for everyone to become more professional.

The selfishness of senior players - specically Laird, Walker, Smith and Sloane has been a big part of our downfall.

Would have been confronting for the senior players, but they were able to blow it off as part of Nicksy's senior player work/life balance program.

Walker blaming injuries for our form was a prime example of our pathetic culture.

According to Tom Morris' report a few weeks back, the players/club had big meeting, driven by younger players (named Rash, Riley) for everyone to become more professional.

The selfishness of senior players - specically Laird, Walker, Smith and Sloane has been a big part of our downfall.
As others have said, I feel it won't be until those senior players from the Pyke era are gone that we'll really move forward culturally.

Luke Brown is the last Crows player I can recall retiring because hebwas cooked without a public spat.

However I will happily agree that Crows players selfishness at the end of their career is due to the clubs ridiculous policy of rewarding seniority.

How he handles Laird and Walker next year will be interesting. Will Walker be dropped to the SANFL when his form warrants or will he end up as Dixon 2.0. Will Laird spend time in the SANFL? I'm not convinced he's better than many of our younger players as a half back flanker, particularly if those wretched efforts from late this season persist.

Brodie smith shouldn't play a game in the seniors, he shouldn't be on the list.

Our culture at the moment includes the public flogging of a young player by senior "leaders". It includes senior players demanding selection and extending their careers when they are clearly cooked. Senior players being allowed to pick and choose training attendance.

In short, our culture is that senior players are untouchable and unaccountable.
We have a Caste system....

How he handles Laird and Walker next year will be interesting. Will Walker be dropped to the SANFL when his form warrants or will he end up as Dixon 2.0. Will Laird spend time in the SANFL? I'm not convinced he's better than many of our younger players as a half back flanker, particularly if those wretched efforts from late this season persist.

Brodie smith shouldn't play a game in the seniors, he shouldn't be on the list.

I can't see Tex playing 2s unless he's coming back from a stretch off due to injury. Laird will absolutely not be dropped, he's likely to begin the year back as a first choice midfielder. Abd you're right, Smith shoukd get tapped on the shoulder and 'retire' due to it becoming known his back is a chronic injury. Or just delisted if he won't play the game.

Matthew Nicks 5th season in charge. 15th.
I'm amazed he has posters defending him.
He will be hoping for double-ups against North and West Coast next year.
I would have included Richmond, they beat us at home for one of their two wins this year.

Rd 1 Suns L
Rd 2 Cats L
Rd 3 Freo L
Rd 4 Melb L

Rd 5 Carl W 8th
Rd 6 Ess L
Rd 7 North W 17th
Rd 8 Port W 2nd

Rd 9 Lions D
Rd 10 Coll L
Rd 11 WC W 16th
Rd 12 Hawks L
Rd 13 Rich L
Rd 14 Swans L

Rd 16 Giants W 4th
Rd 17 Lions L
Rd 18 Saints W 12th
Rd 19 Ess W 11th

Rd 20 Hawks L
Rd 21 Cats L

Rd 22 Dogs W 6th
Rd 23 Port L
Rd 24 Swans L

I can't see Tex playing 2s unless he's coming back from a stretch off due to injury. Laird will absolutely not be dropped, he's likely to begin the year back as a first choice midfielder. Abd you're right, Smith shoukd get tapped on the shoulder and 'retire' due to it becoming known his back is a chronic injury. Or just delisted if he won't play the game.

I’m going to lose my shit if Laird is in the midfield come R1.

I’m going to lose my shit if Laird is in the midfield come R1.
It's hard to see where he fits in the team, let alone the midfield.

If we assume (or at least hope) that the midfield is from the likes of Dawson, Soligo, Crouch, Rankine, Dowling, Draper (or whoever we pick this year), Taylor etc. Laird would be behind all of those guys and, as has been pointed out countless times, we can't really play him and Crouch both in there and Crouch is well ahead of him at this point. I'm not considering Pedlar and Schoenberg in there because I'm not sure if they're going to make it - at their best they're ahead of Laird but remains to be seen if they're capable of recapturing their best.

His other spot is in defence but again, we've got Hinge, Michellanney, Nankervis, Milera, Bond would all be ahead of him when all fit (which is a bit "if" in Milera's case, admittedly). Nicks at least had the courage to drop Smith (albeit way too late, should have been done after his round 1 performance). Hopefully he'll be able to do the same with Laird.

At some point when you're coaching for your career you have to wake up to the fact that it's the performances of these players you keep picking that have led you to this position where you're coaching for your career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to see where he fits in the team, let alone the midfield.

If we assume (or at least hope) that the midfield is from the likes of Dawson, Soligo, Crouch, Rankine, Dowling, Draper (or whoever we pick this year), Taylor etc. Laird would be behind all of those guys and, as has been pointed out countless times, we can't really play him and Crouch both in there and Crouch is well ahead of him at this point. I'm not considering Pedlar and Schoenberg in there because I'm not sure if they're going to make it - at their best they're ahead of Laird but remains to be seen if they're capable of recapturing their best.

His other spot is in defence but again, we've got Hinge, Michellanney, Nankervis, Milera, Bond would all be ahead of him when all fit (which is a bit "if" in Milera's case, admittedly). Nicks at least had the courage to drop Smith (albeit way too late, should have been done after his round 1 performance). Hopefully he'll be able to do the same with Laird.

At some point when you're coaching for your career you have to wake up to the fact that it's the performances of these players you keep picking that have led you to this position where you're coaching for your career.

After the usual previous season amnesia, I think we’ll start with a 5 man group. Laird and Crouch as full timers with Sog, Dawson and Rankine filling up the remaining minutes and rotating wing, half forward and half back. Draper, Dowling, Taylor etc will get there opportunity via injury or when season is over and Nicks realises again that Laird is a liability in there.

No way Bond plays ahead of Laird if he is pushed out of midfield.

The man has coached his team to 5 grand finals in the last 13 years. Yeah he's "only" won 1 flag but that's 1 more than we've managed in the last 26 years. And at least when his sides lose GF's he gets them up off the canvas for another crack right away.
This!
14 years for 5 Grand Finals and one Flag
Their worst 2 years under Longmire were 2019/20, but his last 4 years have been very good.

I'd boot Nicks and pay Longmire whatever he wants in a heartbeat (as you said).
ZERO chance that happens, unfortunately.
After Nicks is gone the drongoes that run the AFC will choose another Nicks-alike; ie nice bloke, gets on well with the players (especially those who try hard), swims only in the Club Admin. lane, accepting of mediocrity and an avid believer in the "Make-the-8-and-anything's-possible" mantra.

Matthew Nicks 5th season in charge. 15th.
I'm amazed he has posters defending him.
Yes, "amazed". Stunned. Shocked. Astounded. Stupefied.
Not one Final played in his 5 long, failing years.
Even more bewildering is that after 14th to 10th to 15th (same as 2021, remember, which is a regression of horrible proportions), he's been contracted for another 2 years when it's clear to 83% of posters (poll above) he should be sacked.

Yes, "amazed". Stunned. Shocked. Astounded. Stupefied.
Not one Final played in his 5 long, failing years.
Even more bewildering is that after 14th to 10th to 15th (same as 2021, remember, which is a regression of horrible proportions), he's been contracted for another 2 years when it's clear to 83% of posters (poll above) he should be sacked.
And that my friends, is the voice of someone who has no idea about rebuilds .....fancy expecting playing Finals in year 1,2,3 of a rebuild ......and I suspect footy in general knowledge is lacking

Not an unreasonable expectation by the time you reach year 5, though.
If you think improvement is linear ....which it isn't

Some things are beyond control ....2024 will be a godsend ....no complacency, and we're seeing, a savage reaction to supporter expectations via trades & footy dept structures

I've seen these scenarios a dozen times over the years .....

And that my friends, is the voice of someone who has no idea about rebuilds .....
... and you do??
I'm on record for giving Nicks plenty of slack for 2020 (rookie Coach, Covid, not his choice of Assistants etc) and 2021 (still developing his style, making his mark --- at which he's failed since, btw).
You've gone from an interesting and often thoughtful poster to the often-derided President of the Nicks Fan Club based on what? Your knowledge of rebuilds?
Mate, Nicks is a failure on many levels:
--- his 64% loss record, for starters ...
--- his blind faith in and stubborn selection of cooked seniors
--- his consistent acceptance of mediocrity and failure to drop underperforming players (until it's too late or unless they are kids)
-- his lack of tactical nous on Game Day, failure to stop multiple-goal runs against us, ridiculous use of subs etc.
Also, just listen to the bloke.
When has he said anything insightful or interesting or tactically astute.
Seriously, when has anything come out of his mouth except cliches, platitudes, rationalisations and don't-blame-me excuses that have made you think "Gee, that's smart"...??
fancy expecting playing Finals in year 1,2,3 of a rebuild
I have never expected us to play Finals in the first 1, or 2, or even 3 years of a rebuild, not have I ever said we should.
To drop from 10th last year to 15th this year (when I hoped, without expecting to make the 8) is crushingly disappointing.
I've noticed you love to put words in other posters' mouths and attack them for what you've claimed or imagined they've said. Your ill-logic, deflections and evasions in here have become legendary.
......and I suspect footy in general knowledge is lacking
... and finally, the ultimate in pissweak dirges that you sing helplessly when you have no facts or logic to stand on. It's the "Anybody-who-says-X-knows-nothing-about-footy" song.
You sing that because you think you know everything --- about rebuilds, Coaching, success/failure, Game Day tactics and so on --- and anybody who disagrees with you is automatically wrong, for disagreeing.
Have a look at this, except your response would be "Yes, it's great":

Some things are beyond control ....2024 will be a godsend ....no complacency, and we're seeing, a savage reaction to supporter expectations via trades & footy dept structures

Please enlighten us with even ONE such scenario, where a Coach with a 64% failure rate after 5 years and NO finals has turned it around to winning a Flag with the same team ANY time after that ...

Is it that hard though?

I feel the Crows are uniquely bad at it and its largely down to weak management.

Badly run clubs seem to have a real issue, successful clubs have ex players visiting the rooms when they win.
I think we have largely been a club that has become so scared to lose players that when players do stick around long-term they get put on a pedestal above every other player on the rest of the playing group.

We've still got a senior core who developed in that environment and the problem is now that Nicks has been so reluctant to drop any experience we do have he's let some get away with some pretty shitty football and they've developed some very poor habits that you'd hope don't rub off on the younger group.

And I don't even think it's like a sinister, conscious thing on the part of the senior group at times, they've had it put into their head for so long they need to play for us to win, of course they think the best thing for the team is if they put their hand up to play, even if their form is bad or they're hurt or whatever.

Please enlighten us with even ONE such scenario, where a Coach with a 64% failure rate after 5 years and NO finals has turned it around to winning a Flag with the same team ANY time after that ...
Hmm let's see

Hardwick
Clarkson
Malthouse
Matthews
Norm Smith
Chris Scott
Allan Jeanes
Barassi
Blight
Roos
Jack Oatey

...none of them.

Since there are none I'd love to know what coach is the closest to Nicks in terms of record that DID turn it around

Like how much better of a record do you need to be the coach with the greatest form turnaround in history?

We haven't seen anything yet....

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 3) - The Biggest Loser

Back