McCartney to coach Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I wanted Cameron and even ran a thread on him

But Brendan McCartney has got the job, I'm impressed what I have read on his C.V including winning Assistant AFL Coach of the Year 2010

So best wishes Leon and others who applied and to Rocket with your futures.

3 Cheers Brendan McCartney you have my support and hopes for good times and reward for hard work and ingenuity with our club ahead.

:thumbsu:

Congratulations to Brendan McCartney for his appointment. A question to some of the more well connected bulldogs posters...did anyone have an inkling or inside information that he was to be appointed?
It seems that no information was leaked to the media or through any other channels. If this was the case then kudos to our club for the way this has been managed. It speaks volumes about the integrity of the people involved to maneuver through a complicated process whilst keeping information in house.

I'm still upset with Leon Cameron's first half in 97' prelim when he was stuffing around with the ball and was our worst player in that game :thumbsdown:

Congratulations to Brendan McCartney for his appointment. A question to some of the more well connected bulldogs posters...did anyone have an inkling or inside information that he was to be appointed?

Something was mentioned about him being shortlisted and the decision being announced this week on this forum late last week.

Reading through the thread, I must be one of the only ones who was not excited by the decision In fact I was probably the opposite. Just don't have a good feeling with him and out of all of the contenders he was probably the one I didn't want.

Having said that, hopefully the club has made the right decision and I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

If a "Brendan McCartney - our inspiration" banner or similar makes an appearance, I'll spew up.

From twitter now

@CarowhineWilson Caroline Wilson
by @chriskkenny
Brenton Sanderson has reportedly been appointed as coach of the Crows. Why am I not getting told about any of these things?

Just a quick question about him. When Thompson left Geelong at the end of last year, was he interviewedby the Cats for there senior coaching position? just seems a bit strange that if he was so highly regarded there he was overlooked for Chris Scott.

BTW i like the appointment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great follow up from last week when Thomas said he was '....sure Dean Wallis will tell the truth....' in the AFL gambling investigation. :D

Have a good feeling about McCartney's appointment so hopefully will be a great move for us. Respect Leon Cameron though and good luck to him.

Definitely excited about McCartney. Neeld was my first choice, but honestly, any fresh face to the club would have been alright.

Also, this...

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=904386&showcomments=true

I'm surprised Thomas' face isn't permanently caked in pie. I'm guessing Aker helps to lick it off.

Thanks for the link, that arrogant prick is 0 for 2 from that article. :D

Great appointment. You would have put your money on Cameron, but who would have thought......our club has done the unpredictable. Not like us at all. I hope this will be OUR time and everything that is positive happens for us now. Can't wait for next season (oh wait we have to support the Renegades in the cricket first!) but then I think we should have some exciting times ahead :)

Just a quick question about him. When Thompson left Geelong at the end of last year, was he interviewedby the Cats for there senior coaching position? just seems a bit strange that if he was so highly regarded there he was overlooked for Chris Scott.

Geelong wanted to appoint someone from outside the club, so I don't think he even interviewed for it.

Don't quote me on this but I have a feeling McCartney had already signed on at Essendon before Thompson quit. So dont think he applied for the vacant Cats job. But as I said not 100% sure

I'm not sure if this is the case. Didn't Sanderson and Hinkley get really close?

Not sure. I am certain I heard them say they wanted someone with no ties to the club.
I could be wrong though.

Edit: After a quick look, it seems that both options were suggested.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/chris-scott-new-cats-coach/story-e6frf9jf-1225939770009

"I think the issue for us is whether we want the plan tweaked or whether we want major change. If you want major change, you probably look outside the club.

"If you want the plan tweaked and you want someone who has an understanding of what we have done in the last 10 years, then you go for someone internal."

In the same article it says both Hinkley and Sanderson were also close, so I guess we are both right, since the ultimate decision was to go outside the club, so they must have decided on that.

Has been confirmed on SEN by Adelaides Steven Trigg.

Very happy about the Bulldogs choice, but a bit weird that all three coaches have been given jobs within a few days of each other.

Maybe Ross Lyon quitting the Saints last Thursday the 3 clubs decided to announce their coaches early.

But I can't think of another successful AFL coach who hasn't also played at the same level (has there been?). Just a minor concern really, and history is always there to be made. .

The last i am aware of was Wayne Brittan at Carlton and that did not end so well. Well before that it would have been the guy who coached the first VFL premiership and that ended very well. (Yes i know they are both examples of VFL not AFL but the VFL is the AFL and we only make a distinction to appease non-victorians in this age of inclusiveness we have found ourselves in, No doubt some-one will want compensation for the distress caused by that comment but that is an outcome of the 'world owes me' age we also find ourselves in and a topic for another day)

I am happy with the appointment and look forward to a more committed effort in 2012. I was an Eade fan and would have been pleased with him continuing but the decision has been made and the club has done well I hope. After one game this year Eade made a comment that despite his instructing the team to kick through the zone the players handballed instead. This was my main concern about Eade. He was there long enough to get the players to play his way so McCartney's reputation for 'my way or the highway' pleases me.

I make no bones about the fact that I was disappointed when Rocket didn't get his contract renewed, I have a funny out of vogue quality called 'loyalty'.

However, I am also glad that the decision came down the wire and McCartney pipped Leon Cameron at the post, but it was obvious to many on here and also in the media that it was Leon Cameron's to lose.

I heard quite a bit about McCartney over the last couple of weeks, and I am pleased that he has been appointed, (I did start a thread stating he was my choice but the mods removed it) I think he has a different style from Rocket, a lot of experience motivating and teaching young players, which is what we will need with potentially a very young list over the next couple of years. If memory serves me, didn't Higgins come from Ocean Grove?

Finally, let's unite behind the club and the new coach - and renew our memberships and support our team.

Remove this Banner Ad

McCartney to coach Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back