McCartney to coach Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Great selection, IMO. He was a big part of developing GEE's back six, and then midfield through 07-09. Massive wraps from the club and disappointment when he moved on for a new experience at ESS. By the bye, you should be happy with how Smorgan and co. have dealt with this whole process - from respectfully moving on Eade to finding his replacement, it all seems to have gone very smoothly and professionally.

Was merged with all the other new coach threads.

I stand corrected Ant, still very annoying that the first thing you saw coming into the Bulldog Forum is the "Leon Cameron for Coach" thread part of what compelled me to start mine.

I stand corrected Ant, still very annoying that the first thing you saw coming into the Bulldog Forum is the "Leon Cameron for Coach" thread part of what compelled me to start mine.

The Leon Cameron thread was merged as well. ;)

As a Cats supporter and former Grubber (OGFC) You have got the right man. He is a players coach and probably the best speaker and motivator going around. A hard task marker but most of all he is a Coach. All you older types will know what I mean by that. I am confident he can bring you back to the top and keep the so called super clubs out of the top 4. Best of luck.

I can't help but be excited about this appointment. McCartney has the runs on the board all the way through his Coaching career thus far whether it be at the minor levels or as an assistant.

The success at minor levels should be factored highly I believe because with the basic facilities and resources that are available at suburban level, etc, more emphasis is on the Coach to be innovative and a "Man Manager".

We cannot offer the limitless bounty of Assistants, medical staff and the like that some of the other Clubs can (although ours is 1000% better than what it was a few years ago). This is where we will benefit from a Coach that can get the most out of his players, that knows how to coach a gameplan and knows how to teach his players to stick to it.

Footy basics are more important than all the fancy sundries and some of the other Coaches from other Clubs (eg, Malthouse, Harvey, etc) that have had their names thrown up would have had a massive culture shock to be thrust into the limited funding that our Football Department has. From what I've read, this may be a hurdle for a McCartney but a relatively small one compared to how other potential candidates may have struggled with our budget.

The concern some may have about McCartney never playing at AFL level, I think it is negligible to irrelevant. If the guy can Coach, then that is all that matters.

I don't expect miracles, far from it, but turnarounds in fortune can be quick in this business. Our list is at a development stage and we have a great addition to our Club that can develop some young genuine talent and class.

I applaud the decision, it may be bold, but more than anything, it is smart.

This sums up my view. He knows what a very recent and dominant flag winning team looks like and what it takes to get it there from the ground up. Would be interesting to know whether or not he agreed with the premise of refresh rather than rebuild and by extension whether he confirmed or turned the stated view of the administration. I hope he has been given carte blanche with the choice of assistants.

I had previously posted I thought Cameron was a shoe in so I was a littled shocked by the announcement.

However I too am excited about the posting. For me it makes no difference whether the guy has played AFL or not. Personally I never understood why Buckley, Hird and Voss were appointed without due process, just because they were champion players. Never understood the rationale that it will mean automatically they will be good coaches (not to say they won't be either).

You can only go by the feedback you read in the papers, and hear on the tv, and by all reports our new coach is highly respected and comes from a winning culture. You just get the sense he is a level headed guy, who will know exactly where we are at. I wish him all the best and congratulate the board on the appointment. It seems the process was professionally handled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would've been happy with either Cameron or McCartney but I'm probably more glad that McCartney was chosen.

Side note: does anyone else find his nose extremely annoying to watch?

Finally, let's unite behind the club and the new coach - and renew our memberships and support our team.

Well said!!

The club have shown to be genuine in there selection process and have taken a really bold step in selecting Macca to the role.

It would of been to easy to go down the beaten path and just hand the mantle over to Leon, the club showed that it had a process in place to reaslly select the best person for the job.

I for one am absolutely thrilled with the appointment and believe he is just the man to bring the best out of some of our more volitile personalities. He is ruthless in his request for team oriented play and from all reports, fiercely competitive.

As DRB has so eloquantly stated, it's def time now for us to get on board, get our memberships and show our new Gaff that we are right behind him!

Might have been said here but it's great that Garlick has led a professional, unleaked process without bowing to media and member pressure. :thumbsu:

Everything that can be said has been posted. A great appointment on all fronts, quite disappointed for Cameron though, as I do believe he would have done a tremendous job.

Thought I'd eloborate a little on comments about Mc Cartney's lack of AFL playing experience;

I am of the opinion that AFL players do not all naturally have the instinctive, intuitive and tactical nous to truly understand the game. They may be incrediably skilled in the areas of playing and being directed, but this does not directly relate to coaching prowess.

True students of Aussie Rules can dissect the game, understand the game, forsee trends, realise how the game is unfolding and what needs to be done to positively influence the game.

Along with attributes such as experience, communication skills, motivational skills, ability to positively discipline players, developer and teacher of youth etc and even more personal traits such as integrity, character, vocational skills and humour are all required in varying doses to get the right formula.

Whether or not a coach has AFL, VFL, SANFL or EDFL playing experience, I find almost irrelevant. Other crucial attributes required far outweigh this.

I for one think Mc Cartney has an excellent blend of the requirements and look forward to seeing what he can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

McCartney to coach Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back