McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I will start to think he is going if he trotts out the "I wont be making my decision until the end of the year, I just want to concentrate on my football" line.

And we started losing guys at a quicker pace under Trigg, which has been slowed over recent years. Bock, Davis, Tippett, Gunston, we only kept Danger in '12 cause we fluked a good year.
You can't really count Bock and Davis they were paid way over there worth. Would have been fools to stay really.

The other thing I heard last year from the same guy is that Dear had told the club he wanted to explore his options and was open to a trade back to Vic if it was possible.
It didnt eventuate but he was looking to go.
Why so many want out I just dont know. Hell, even when Port were at their worst they still has better player retention than us.
They still do.

Watching out of form or injured players holding their spot when you're next in line, in form and chomping at the bit for a go would get tiresome.

So if we have $750k over five years for Gibbs, why wouldn't we be able to retain other players

Historically our value rating system. We've overvalued the middle of our list making sure that our 20th guy picked can be 95% covered by our 35th. But that seems to have been getting addressed, not much experienced depth left and more emerging youth.

On Guv, I think he'd be looking for a strong first third of the year to warrant a big offer. If the WA teams are offering big long term deals then I reckon it's premature.

IF the rumours are true, this is our Cam McCarthy moment in time.

I'd rather us put a line in the sand and keep him out of the game for a year then bend over again and be held to ransom by a guy with very little runs on the board.

Enough is enough. We are not Carlton or GWS. We don't exist to make other clubs stronger.

If Fyfe comes for Gov and our first, would anyone be complaining? It isn't like he is our last forward option. He is very raw and although there is plenty of potential, a gun mid would fill our needs far better. Whether that be Fyfe (unlikely) or another secured with the currency
But thats not going to happen.

PD was good mates with a lot of our players, didn't stop him from going, it means nothing really.

Still is

I do think it's a worry that we have so many players targeted by other clubs, but think it's a kudos to the recruitment team. I think we have the best in the league, which means we have more younger talent who aren't getting a game...... but we need to plug the hole somehow..... find out what the actual reasons are and then take action

But if Gov does go, it's not from a lack of opportunities..... he played nearly every game last year outta nowhere!

As much as I would hate to see McLovin go, if it happens we'd better play hard ball for him for a good draft pick. We'll miss him for sure but I reckon we can cover for him. What we need is another elite MF player. If through trading out McGovern we achieve that I could live with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally think he needs to back up and then evolve from his season last year before any contract talks are finalised or even begin.

We also need to work out what his best role is and where he can fit into the side most effectively.

I don't think he is the kind of player you throw a lot of money in front of. At least not right now.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Tapatalk

I don't think there is enough evidence to establish the retention rate has been improving. We retained a number of players during the Trigg era too

Do you have evidence its not improving?

In an earlier post you stated there is no other club that loses players like Adelaide, is that just you bieng pissed at the players we have lost or have you done the analysis to back that up with actual numbers?

I do think it's a worry that we have so many players targeted by other clubs, but think it's a kudos to the recruitment team. I think we have the best in the league, which means we have more younger talent who aren't getting a game...... but we need to plug the hole somehow..... find out what the actual reasons are and then take action
First off I will state I love the Guv. I think he has unbridled talent that will take him very far. But I am also old enough to understand the nature of the business I follow and will say if he wants to go then the AFC need to maximize his value to get return value.

On your point glenno, we do have one of the best recruiters in the league, but don't under-estimate how many other players are targeted. We just hear of our own because it is our focus. Hell even us as supporters are freely discussing about 8 GWS players, Fyfe, Martin and Rockliff.

You cant plug holes or throw money at the repair bill if people want to leave. Understand what motivates people to stay and work on that. How many work colleagues of your own have left for ''better places'' in the last 2 years?

Do you have evidence its not improving?

In an earlier post you stated there is no other club that loses players like Adelaide, is that just you bieng pissed at the players we have lost or have you done the analysis to back that up with actual numbers?

Lost players:

2010 - Bock
2011 - Davis, Gunston
2012 - Tippett
2013 - None
2014 - None
--- Trigg Departs
2015 - Dangerfield
2016 - None

In general it has improved since 2012. However, if you discount Bock and Davis due to expansion teams overpaying them, we have lost 3 gun players in 6 years (from 2011 to 2016) at a rate of 1 player every two years. Having a single year of no player losses would not be unusual, nor would two years of losses.

It will improve if we can string together several years without a loss.

Lost players:

2010 - Bock
2011 - Davis, Gunston
2012 - Tippett
2013 - None
2014 - None
--- Trigg Departs
2015 - Dangerfield
2016 - None

In general it has improved since 2012. However, if you discount Bock and Davis due to expansion teams overpaying them, we have lost 3 gun players in 6 years (from 2011 to 2016) at a rate of 1 player every two years. Having a single year of no player losses would not be unusual, nor would two years of losses.

Was Gunston a gun when he left?

Yep, unfortunately we've been stuck in a mediocrity cycle for a long time and I worry we need to do something drastic to get us out of it, but that we're too risk averse to actually do what needs to be done. 2 years ago, the Bulldogs kicked their coach to the curb and traded out Cooney, Griffen and pick 6, they brought in Tom Boyd. Now Boyd admittedly hasn't done a hell of a lot, but i think that whole episode was the shake up the club needed to take the next step. Like us they'd spent a number of years getting close, but never getting the cigar.

I think we made some promising steps when we replaced Trigg and then sacked Sando for Walsh, unfortunately the club I think has gone back into its shell. I think we're doing a lot right as a club, but i fear unless we start making a few more big decisions we'll never take that next step and we'll continue to lose players back to their home states.

As much as in isolation, we were right to tell Carlton to shove it with Bryce Gibbs, in a way I think even if we had gone overs and forked out 2x first rounders, it would have made a pwerful statement that we were serious about winning a premiership. As it was we came out of the trade period appearing weak and incapable, whilst Silvagni was the hero.

Re your comments on the Bulldogs.
They kicked their coach because the team performances were garbage, it was happening for some time before Beveridges appointment.
Can't recall the Cooney situation but Griffen wanted to leave not the other way round as you seem to insinuate, and Tom Boyd also wanted out.
It wasn't some masterstroke of pre trade planning that made this happen. Lucky for the Doggs the stars aligned and they benifited form players wanting to leave their respective clubs.

Bulldogs have benifited mostly by early picks from years of being hopeless and then lucky enough to have made the right coaching appointment, nothing risky with what the Dogs have done.....they had no other choice.

We've never had the ladder position to benefit from early draft picks.

The 2 players we should have benififed from was Tippett, and that cost us rather than the other way and Danger were we should have got more.

I'm not sure using teams that have benifited from early picks as an example of how to do things is right unless you suggest we tank and reap the benefits like others have done.

Lost players:

2010 - Bock
2011 - Davis, Gunston
2012 - Tippett
2013 - None
2014 - None
--- Trigg Departs
2015 - Dangerfield
2016 - None

I probably wasn't clear, what about players other clubs have lost.

I think most astute judges of talent could see he 'had it' when he left
Ok then call me not astute :p

I know he ''won'' our Most Exciting Talent award but he was , to my understanding, a project player with possibilities. But nobody could say he was a gun

Remove this Banner Ad

McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

Back