McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

What do you think McGovern will do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear doesn't fit as direct swap for Gov in side - tex Jenkins dear and Lynch is too top heavy . Borderline top heavy now with gov but he's got mobility and X factor

Dear might leave anyway
Smarter people than us at the AFC need to make that call.
IMO it's a higher risk playing a player who says they wish to leave which can inadvertently cause another play to leave who doesn't get opportunity.
Think theres a happy medium somewhere.
Gov plays games and so does Dear. In terms of structure maybe move JJ up the ground or something similar.

Smarter people than us at the AFC need to make that call.
IMO it's a higher risk playing a player who says they wish to leave which can inadvertently cause another play to leave who doesn't get opportunity.
Think theres a happy medium somewhere.
Gov plays games and so does Dear. In terms of structure maybe move JJ up the ground or something similar.

Don't stuff up our structure and gameplan just because some bloke is perhaps maybe thinking of leaving

We seem to have an awful lot of homesick players over the years. More than other non Victorian teams.

Do we though? Bit of a blanket statement there.

Any chance that we are just more aware of the players that we lose due to homesickness? There's every chance other clubs also have these, but we just aren't aware of them / don't discuss them (for obvious reasons).

I'm not suggesting we don't have an issue that is unique to the AFC - it's possible we do. But there's every chance our interstate player retention is no worse, or perhaps better, than other non-Vic clubs. Only an thorough and objective breakdown of which clubs have lost players for 'go home' reasons would tell the true story.

Most people that had seen his first dozen games could tell he was destined to be a gun. Some thought more talented than Tex. Go and read the Gunston wants a trade thread.
Now I am home I will chase this up. But forgive an old man when he has seen too many good players labelled ''guns'' when they haven't played a game :)

Best case scenario if we can't convince Gov to stay

Trade him for 1st rounder (and maybe a 3rd if he has a ripper year )

Turn our 2 1st rounders into a top 6 pick and grab a gun mid eg Lochie O'Brien , Hunter Clarke or Rayner ( or local kid Fogarty who will be a forward / bigger mid )

Trade our 2nd rounder for Harry Himmelberg and groom him as a mobile forward ( can also play as a Haynes like defender )

Use our 3rd (s) on Jackson Edwards

Plan B could end up a win but plan A is to do everything we can to keep him
Himmelberg was drafted with a first rounder and has played some games. No way he has devalued since then.

It's funny but I saw him late last year at a local cafe and he still had WA number plates on his car! Small thing but would he think that far ahead! lol
Mind you Rego prices in SA are ridiculous
Supposed to change those within 3 months. Naughty, naughty.
I kept my Landcruiser rego'd in WA from 1997-2013. While living in Qld and NT.
He he.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old news, Lever?

Add in that Ben Davis' older brother was delisted by Sydney this year, so there is the option of this being Mitch, Davis or Himmelberg. The Lever one is already a done deal (and someone needs to talk to those boys about their shitty 'Lever' tats).

Add in that Ben Davis' older brother was delisted by Sydney this year, so there is the option of this being Mitch, Davis or Himmelberg. The Lever one is already a done deal (and someone needs to talk to those boys about their shitty 'Lever' tats).
Abe Davis is in SA already. Signed with South Adelaide.

So Mitch Lever is playing for our SANfL team?
Is this our retaining policy now? Just recruit a brother or sister and make it bearable? lol

Is this our retaining policy now? Just recruit a brother or sister and make it bearable? lol
If they can play football why not? Many a time the club would fly friends and family of players over for a week or weekend. Makes great sense to me.

If they can play football why not? Many a time the club would fly friends and family of players over for a week or weekend. Makes great sense to me.

Our club still does this regularly. We might not pay for the flights all the time etc, but we are recognised as the leader in the AFL by the other clubs for the way we deal with / welcome families to our club and keep them informed and involved.

Maybe. Have heard several of the boys talk about how the club is a tight knit family. This may be an extension of that. Its a good idea as long as it doesnt get caught up in Tippet-like salary cap breaches. Should be looking after the wives and families as much as we can. It is a great idea to let siblings who are trying to break into the AFL use our development squad to help them. We know that these siblings probably have the pedigree through their AFL playing brothers.

I wonder if this is backfiring in the case of McGovern. He is looking around and missing his big brother - poor widdle thing. ;)

Maybe. Have heard several of the boys talk about how the club is a tight knit family. This may be an extension of that. Its a good idea as long as it doesnt get caught up in Tippet-like salary cap breaches. Should be looking after the wives and families as much as we can. It is a great idea to let siblings who are trying to break into the AFL use our development squad to help them. We know that these siblings probably have the pedigree through their AFL playing brothers.

I wonder if this is backfiring in the case of McGovern. He is looking around and missing his big brother - poor widdle thing. ;)
We were paying for Joel Tippett's rent when he played for Westies didn't we? Dunno if that's technically disallowed or not.

We were paying for Joel Tippett's rent when he played for Westies didn't we? Dunno if that's technically disallowed or not.

Yeah. That type of thing is playing with fire. There is no justification for that is there. Geelong obviously walk a fine but apparently legal line. Maybe we need to take a lesson from them.

I have no issue tbh... I'm a massive romantic when it comes to siblings playing!

I suppose what upsets me is that we definitely have a retention problem and it needs to be addressed. It is definitely cultural...

McGovern: 1 yr @ start of 2016, 3 years at the end of 2017 - confirmed legend

Back