News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

My issue with the 360 segment, which was largely well thought out, was the closing comments which implied that it was a whole of WA, or at least Perth or West Coast thing. The whole "I'm not sure what's going on over there" narrative is bananas. No, it's a trash paper that changed business model and went down a click-bait direction.
Yeah. I was really annoyed at that too. When will they learn that the rag of a newspaper doesn't represent the people in WA? Unfortunately it seems in the eyes of the Vics we are intrinsically linked to that piece of crap paper.

Last edited:
Yeah. I was really annoyed at that too. When will they learn that the rag of a newspaper doesn't represent the people in WA? Unfortunately it seems in the eyes of the Vice we are intrinsically linked to that piece of crap paper.
Yep, could not agree more.

And a few numpties on 6PR don't represent us either!

**** me, when I lived in Melbs I used to listen to Finey's post game shows on SEN on the way home just for a laugh. You want numpties?

Yep, could not agree more.

And a few numpties on 6PR don't represent us either!

**** me, when I lived in Melbs I used to listen to Finey's post game shows on SEN on the way home just for a laugh. You want numpties?

Glory days. I'd just pray for a Carlton or tigers loss.
Almost makes me crave pancake parlour, which I've never eaten but the ads on SEN were as relentless as the game passion.

I took the hit so you don't have to because %^!* the Worst. Here is a nice piece from Danielle Laidley on the type of bloke Simmo is and some insight on his initial appointment.

Danielle Laidley: The day I told West Coast Eagles Adam Simpson was the right man for their top job​

Back when I was working at St Kilda more than a decade ago, I received a phone call from my mate Adam Simpson, who told me he was in the running for the West Coast senior coaching job.
He asked if I would be a referee and was it fine for the recruiting company to call me. Absolutely it was, he was ready on so many fronts.

I played with Adam and he was also my captain when I was coaching North Melbourne. He had all the personal traits required to be a senior coach — he was caring, empathetic and could read the room.

In fact, he would tell me each week to stay away from the players and let him handle playing group or he would say go hard at the group this week, we need it, what a brilliant captain. He was also very savvy technically and loved talking footy.
In the later stages of playing, he took himself off and did some coaching courses. He was also our midfield coach, because we couldn’t afford a full-time coach at the time.

Simmo prepared the midfield during the week, I didn’t even ask what our setups were, I trusted him unconditionally. Then, we had support come in on game day.
After retiring, he left the club and finished his apprenticeship at Hawthorn, which was the perfect environment to ready himself for the next step.

The phone call came, it was supposed to be a 15 minute chat about Adam and all his personal and football traits. From memory, it lasted a good hour.
I could tell from the call he was going to be the man for the job.
Ironically, the St Kilda coach at the time, Scott Watters, was a great friend of former West Coast player Peter Sumich. He walked into my office and said Sumich was going to appointed as the next West Coast coach.

I just smiled and said I am very sure he won’t be appointed, I knew Simmo was the right person for the job.
History tells us it was a magnificent appointment, one that would be etched into West Coast Eagles folklore.
Two Grand Finals, a premiership and many finals appearances. As a person, he was always calm, but fierce, selfless and he protected his tribe to the end.

There is plenty I could say about who he was as a man off the field, but there is one story that I believe sums it up best.
While coaching at North, we were in Adelaide for an away game and I was mentally shot after seven years of coaching North. I walked the streets of Adelaide all night contemplating my football mortality.
That away game against the Crows turned out to be my last as coach for my beloved Kangaroos.
After losing, I addressed the boys post-game for the last time, thanked them for their efforts and that I was super proud of them all.

Unfortunately the club did not realise, but that game actually marked by 300th of playing and coaching in the AFL and I thought the milestone would pass quietly without recognition.
However, one person did realise and that was Simmo.
A few days after my resignation, I caught up with him and off his own back he had signed the game ball and written: “300 games, thanks for everything mate” and mounted it in a see-through perspex casing.
Adam, that was class and respect and shows the person he is.
There I was thinking nobody would pick up on this milestone, but why on earth would I think that, when I had the best captain in the league.
No 7, you will be relieved, you will be sad, you have given the West Coast Eagles one hell of a ride. Rest up and smell the roses, you deserve it.

Can always count on you to be contrarian, can’t we.
I'll take that as a "No, i can't back up my assertions of unfair treatment of Simpson by Woodcock with a single example".

I have never understood Simpson's issue with Woodcock. Simpson is not entitled to positive news coverage or getting the Ryan Daniels treatment everywhere. Some of the backpage graphics were pretty lowbrow, made me cringe and bordered on personal abuse. But those are the decisions of the sports editor, not a rank and file sports journalist.

I'll take that as a "No, i can't back up my assertions of unfair treatment of Simpson by Woodcock with a single example".

I have never understood Simpson's issue with Woodcock. Simpson is not entitled to positive news coverage or getting the Ryan Daniels treatment everywhere. Some of the backpage graphics were pretty lowbrow, made me cringe and bordered on personal abuse. But those are the decisions of the sports editor, not a rank and file sports journalist.
I genuinely think Splinter's reporting and the West's terminal descent into the lowest shithouse editorial standards are separate items. If you don't like Spnter's articles fine - I don't read them. The back (and front) pages they push as click-bait are by far the bigger issue.

I think even the club has confused this.

And The West is still a "Partner". That needs to be ended.

The issues with Stickdick are more around the fact that he would go to print before confirming details with the club, would consistently print rumor and innuendo, that's when he wasn't just recycling information from other interviews with other outlets and passing them off as his own work.

Would not write corrections on content he got wrong.
would break up content from interviews in order to have multiple articles with only the barest of content in them
Recycling content in unrelated articles in order to pad out articles.

The list keeps going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh wow, Waddel put out a woe is us article about how people got shitty at them for the front page.
Don't go read it, it's garbage.
If you just must read it don't give them clicks, saved you the trouble.

Adam Simpson: State rallies behind ousted West Coast Eagles coach after axing​

The entire State has rallied behind ousted West Coast coach Adam Simpson after his shock axing, with everyone from former players, diehard fans and even the Premier showering him in support.

Simpson’s 11 years in the top job officially came to an end on Tuesday when the club announced they would “mutually part ways” with the long-time leader.

The 48-year-old — who on Wednesday officially turned down an offer to coach one final game this weekend — led the side to the 2018 premiership and another grand final, but his impressive record was marred by a horror past three years, where his side lost nine of every 10 games.

It reached boiling point last week after an exclusive report by The West Australian revealed a number of players did not want Simpson to coach beyond this season, sparking calls from the Eagles fanbase for him to call time.
But the tide turned when The West Australian highlighted his recent record on the front page of Wednesday’s newspaper, writing ‘See ya Simmo’ under a graphic depicting the Eagles’ shocking streak of just eight wins in the last 65 matches.

West Coast premiership player Will Schofield was quick to criticise his former coach’s page one treatment, creating his own cover that read ‘Thanks Simmo’ with images of the team’s flag glory six years ago.
“Here ... I fixed it for you,” the 35-year-old wrote on X (formerly Twitter.) in a post that was shared by West Coast.

North Melbourne premiership player and seven-time All-Australian Wayne Carey also created his own version of the front page, again using a six-year-old photo of his former teammate after the grand final win.
Perth Wildcats legend Greg Hire too took to Photoshop to mock-up his own front cover based on the 2018 premiership, even adding his own kicker under the ‘Thanks Simmo’ headline that said: “Adam Simpson’s tenure as West Coast Eagles coach concludes, marking the end of a distinguished premiership era.”

“Despite recent challenges, Simpson’s contributions and dedication have left a lasting legacy.”
Hire — who is one of the most celebrated WA basketballers in history — posted the image with a caption that stated: “Often, negativity is amplified and overshadows the positive achievements that individuals/teams have.”

Ex-AFL player turned reality television star Daniel Gorringe posted a video of himself to his Instagram page alongside the front page, which he claimed was a “debacle.”
“What are we doing, The West Australian?,” the former Big Brother contestant said.
“Hate it, disgusting, gross ... too much, hate it!”

A number of West Coast players shared Gorringe’s video to their social media in apparent support of Simpson, including teenage star Harley Reid, who posted it to his Instagram story alongside a “facepalm” emoji.

The 19-year-old also wrote in a separate post: “Couldn’t thank this bloke enough for what his (sic) done in such a short time of my career. One of the greatest to ever do it and has put up with so much crap.”

Tom Barrass, Liam Ryan and Elliot Yeo were among the veterans who also shared the post, as well as fellow players Jamaine Jones and Bailey Williams.
WA Premier Roger Cook on Wednesday paid tribute to Simpson, saying that sporting personalities were often given a “rough deal.”

“This is sport, right — you win some you lose some,” Mr Cook told reporters in Tom Price.

“Adam Simpson’s provided a great service to the sport of AFL. I look forward to his ongoing success in the future and wish him all the very best.
“He’s worked with a young cohort, a young squad, he’s continuing that long road back which the Eagles have to develop that young squad.”

“I look if you look at all sports, sporting personalities, particularly coaches, sometimes they get dealt a really tough deal.
The Premier, a Fremantle Dockers supporter, also didn’t miss a chance to exploit WA’s bitter footy rivalry.
“Of course, he’s done great service to the second most important Western Australian team in the national competition,” Mr Cook said.

AFL coaches across the league also paid tribute to Simpson, including his crosstown rival Justin Longmuir, a former assistant at the Eagles.

“I’m very thankful for my time working with him,” Longmuir said.
“I took a lot from the way he set the environment up, the way he coached, the way he educated, tactics.”

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin said it was sad to see Simpson depart.
“Obviously for Adam, it’s not necessarily a sad day, it should be a celebration of what he’s contributed to that footy club — 11 years, premiership, grand final,” Goodwin said.
“He’s a very stable person and he’s been a great coach for their footy club and one that they’ll cherish when they look back.”

Collingwood coach Craig McRae praised the way Simpson handled his exit.
“It’s hard to watch one of your other coaches lose his job,” McRae said.
“A premiership coach, an incredible record. He’s a class act.”

Essendon coach Brad Scott said Simpson was a great person, who he had a lot of time for.
“He’s been a great coach, he was a great player, and he’s given a lot to football,” Scott said.

Simpson officially declined West Coast’s offer to coach a final game against Brisbane at Optus Stadium on Sunday, with the coach to instead be honoured before the bounce.

“I am looking forward to the opportunity to acknowledge the wonderful support I have enjoyed from our members and fans over the last 11 years,” Simpson said on Wednesday.
“They have been fantastic from the day I arrived and have stuck with us.”

It means Sunday’s defeat to Melbourne at the MCG is the final game of the premiership coach’s 11-year tenure and he will finish third — one game behind Mick Malthouse — among the Eagles’ longest-serving coaches.
Club great and current Sydney assistant coach Dean Cox currently leads the race to take over the top job, with West Coast midfield coach Jarrad Schofield to fill in until the end of 2024.

Schofield, former player and Carlton assistant Ash Hansen and Fremantle forward coach Jaymie Graham are among others believed to be in the mix.
West Coast chief executive Don Pyke would not be drawn into naming the contenders but said the process for finding a new coach would begin immediately.

Last edited:
I took the hit so you don't have to because %^!* the Worst. Here is a nice piece from Danielle Laidley on the type of bloke Simmo is and some insight on his initial appointment.
Ironically, the St Kilda coach at the time, Scott Watters, was a great friend of former West Coast player Peter Sumich. He walked into my office and said Sumich was going to appointed as the next West Coast coach.

I just smiled and said I am very sure he won’t be appointed, I knew Simmo was the right person for the job.
:tearsofjoy:

Only you could take Woodcock’s side.

You’d watch Independence Day and root for the aliens.

Yeah. I was really annoyed at that too. When will they learn that the rag of a newspaper doesn't represent the people in WA? Unfortunately it seems in the eyes of the Vics we are intrinsically linked to that piece of crap paper.
Now you know what it's like being a Victorian and putting up with you WA guys saying the same thing about Vicmedia

Making the most of my last few days of subscription (I was one of the many people who unsubscribed from the paper yesterday) to bring you this gem from today's paper. I am developing the view that this guy has some sort of cognitive inability.

Adam Simpson: State rallies behind ousted West Coast Eagles coach after axing​

Headshot of Jakeb Waddell
Jakeb WaddellThe West Australian
Thu, 11 July 2024 2:00AM
Comments
Jakeb Waddell

Adam Simpson steps down as coach of the West Coast Eagles.
Adam Simpson steps down as coach of the West Coast Eagles. Credit: Jackson Flindell/The West Australian

The entire State has rallied behind ousted West Coast coach Adam Simpson after his shock axing, with everyone from former players, diehard fans and even the Premier showering him in support.
Simpson’s 11 years in the top job officially came to an end on Tuesday when the club announced they would “mutually part ways” with the long-time leader.
The 48-year-old — who on Wednesday officially turned down an offer to coach one final game this weekend — led the side to the 2018 premiership and another grand final, but his impressive record was marred by a horror past three years, where his side lost nine of every 10 games.

It reached boiling point last week after an exclusive report by The West Australian revealed a number of players did not want Simpson to coach beyond this season, sparking calls from the Eagles fanbase for him to call time.
But the tide turned when The West Australian highlighted his recent record on the front page of Wednesday’s newspaper, writing ‘See ya Simmo’ under a graphic depicting the Eagles’ shocking streak of just eight wins in the last 65 matches.
West Coast premiership player Will Schofield was quick to criticise his former coach’s page one treatment, creating his own cover that read ‘Thanks Simmo’ with images of the team’s flag glory six years ago.
“Here ... I fixed it for you,” the 35-year-old wrote on X (formerly Twitter.) in a post that was shared by West Coast.

Danielle Laidley coached Adam Simpson at North Melbourne.

North Melbourne premiership player and seven-time All-Australian Wayne Carey also created his own version of the front page, again using a six-year-old photo of his former teammate after the grand final win.
Perth Wildcats legend Greg Hire too took to Photoshop to mock-up his own front cover based on the 2018 premiership, even adding his own kicker under the ‘Thanks Simmo’ headline that said: “Adam Simpson’s tenure as West Coast Eagles coach concludes, marking the end of a distinguished premiership era.”
“Despite recent challenges, Simpson’s contributions and dedication have left a lasting legacy.”

Hire — who is one of the most celebrated WA basketballers in history — posted the image with a caption that stated: “Often, negativity is amplified and overshadows the positive achievements that individuals/teams have.”
Ex-AFL player turned reality television star Daniel Gorringe posted a video of himself to his Instagram page alongside the front page, which he claimed was a “debacle.”
“What are we doing, The West Australian?,” the former Big Brother contestant said.
“Hate it, disgusting, gross ... too much, hate it!”
A number of West Coast players shared Gorringe’s video to their social media in apparent support of Simpson, including teenage star Harley Reid, who posted it to his Instagram story alongside a “facepalm” emoji.
The 19-year-old also wrote in a separate post: “Couldn’t thank this bloke enough for what his (sic) done in such a short time of my career. One of the greatest to ever do it and has put up with so much crap.”
Tom Barrass, Liam Ryan and Elliot Yeo were among the veterans who also shared the post, as well as fellow players Jamaine Jones and Bailey Williams.
WA Premier Roger Cook on Wednesday paid tribute to Simpson, saying that sporting personalities were often given a “rough deal.”

“This is sport, right — you win some you lose some,” Mr Cook told reporters in Tom Price.
“Adam Simpson’s provided a great service to the sport of AFL. I look forward to his ongoing success in the future and wish him all the very best.
“He’s worked with a young cohort, a young squad, he’s continuing that long road back which the Eagles have to develop that young squad.”
“I look if you look at all sports, sporting personalities, particularly coaches, sometimes they get dealt a really tough deal.
The Premier, a Fremantle Dockers supporter, also didn’t miss a chance to exploit WA’s bitter footy rivalry.
“Of course, he’s done great service to the second most important Western Australian team in the national competition,” Mr Cook said.
AFL coaches across the league also paid tribute to Simpson, including his crosstown rival Justin Longmuir, a former assistant at the Eagles.

“I’m very thankful for my time working with him,” Longmuir said.
“I took a lot from the way he set the environment up, the way he coached, the way he educated, tactics.”
Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin said it was sad to see Simpson depart.
“Obviously for Adam, it’s not necessarily a sad day, it should be a celebration of what he’s contributed to that footy club — 11 years, premiership, grand final,” Goodwin said.
“He’s a very stable person and he’s been a great coach for their footy club and one that they’ll cherish when they look back.”
Collingwood coach Craig McRae praised the way Simpson handled his exit.
“It’s hard to watch one of your other coaches lose his job,” McRae said.
“A premiership coach, an incredible record. He’s a class act.”
Essendon coach Brad Scott said Simpson was a great person, who he had a lot of time for.
“He’s been a great coach, he was a great player, and he’s given a lot to football,” Scott said.

Simpson officially declined West Coast’s offer to coach a final game against Brisbane at Optus Stadium on Sunday, with the coach to instead be honoured before the bounce.
“I am looking forward to the opportunity to acknowledge the wonderful support I have enjoyed from our members and fans over the last 11 years,” Simpson said on Wednesday.
“They have been fantastic from the day I arrived and have stuck with us.”
It means Sunday’s defeat to Melbourne at the MCG is the final game of the premiership coach’s 11-year tenure and he will finish third — one game behind Mick Malthouse — among the Eagles’ longest-serving coaches.

Club great and current Sydney assistant coach Dean Cox currently leads the race to take over the top job, with West Coast midfield coach Jarrad Schofield to fill in until the end of 2024.
Schofield, former player and Carlton assistant Ash Hansen and Fremantle forward coach Jaymie Graham are among others believed to be in the mix.

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke would not be drawn into naming the contenders but said the process for finding a new coach would begin immediately.

Fox Footy have their finger on the pulse.

Is it too much to expect something better?

Team Tips: External pressure continues to build on Adam Simpson’s Eagles after another uncompetitive loss at the weekend against the Demons. Star defender Jeremy McGovern (ribs/lung) was taken to hospital post-game — remaining in Melbourne on Monday — and isn’t expected to play on Sunday against the Lions.

Post-match, Simpson said: “McGovern has been sent to hospital with some sort of lung or rib issue, we will need to make sure he is OK to fly home (on Sunday).” Matt Flynn (ankle) missed the loss to Melbourne but should be a decent chance to play against Brisbane, while key defender Rhett Bazzo (groin) and midfielder Elijah Hewett (foot) will attempt to return to play this weekend.

and...just leaving this here...

EDITED - this screenshot is from a Jason Garlepp post on x. I got got! :tearsofjoy:

Pretty sad inditement though to think it could have been true.

View attachment 2044955
Ugh, what's it gotta take for this bullshit to stop? The man has lost his job, you (The West) got your 'victory' and you're still doubling down on him, because he had the balls to crack one over your knuckles and you're smarting over it?

EDIT: It's fake, but that's an indictment on how piss poor The West is.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back