Coach Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

All the issues we currently have seem to have stemmed from one decision. When the comp has been evolving with fast ball movement by hand, foot and leg speed- we spent the entire one season 'practicing ' slow ball movement. Talk about counter productive. Someone amongst the 'brains trust ' in the football department needs to be a bit smarter than that.

All the issues we currently have seem to have stemmed from one decision. When the comp has been evolving with fast ball movement by hand, foot and leg speed- we spent the entire one season 'practicing ' slow ball movement. Talk about counter productive. Someone amongst the 'brains trust ' in the football department needs to be a bit smarter than that.
Port don’t play fast and they are sitting in the top 4… players have to buy in for it to work.

I think its simply rubbish to say he is looking for an out. He has acknowledged it all starts and stops with him many times.
Don't makes things up to suit what your trying to say.
Now as to the rest, if they kick the goals instead of behinds the 'game plan' suddenly looks a heap better. Yes its a work in progress defensively and the attacking aspects but ultimately bad kicking is bad football. End of story.
It really is that simple.
However it is the coaching peoples job to get them to kick straight in any situation. In that its a fail.

When Weiters comes out and says it's not the coach it's the players he's a person I would believe. Certainly doesn't strike me as someone who would make shit up to suit a narrative.

That suggests to me he has no problem with game plan and if the players executed better most issues would disappear. after the first few games us and Freo were the slowest ball moving teams in the comp and both teams looked like crud. Freo have turned a corner and now everyone thinks they look great.

No ones game plan will look good when the players are stinking it up.

Port don’t play fast and they are sitting in the top 4… players have to buy in for it to work.

Agree and I believe the players have bought in, they just aren't executing. Harry's yips are the tip of a wider between the ears issue amongst the playing group.

The games lost have been on turnover and/or not finishing in front of goal off the back of poor execution and decision making.

Agree and I believe the players have bought in, they just aren't executing. Harry's yips are the tip of a wider between the ears issue amongst the playing group.

The games lost have been on turnover and/or not finishing in front of goal off the back of poor execution and decision making.
and, that's where we excel.

His kicking in front of goals definitely doesn’t help but I reckon our crumbers at contests have been virtually non existent. It’s probably the biggest issue that almost no one seems to talk about. When was the last time we kicked to contests and our mids and forwards were at the fall of the ball consistently?

His kicking in front of goals definitely doesn’t help but I reckon our crumbers at contests have been virtually non existent. It’s probably the biggest issue that almost no one seems to talk about. When was the last time we kicked to contests and our mids and forwards were at the fall of the ball consistently?

Yeah the forward line generally is not where it needs to be and I've advocated against playing three smalls at the same time for awhile but we are bereft of decent options on the half forward line and both Durdin and Motlop are still infants in terms of learning their craft. Owies is older and it's probably a contributor as to why he seems the most productive of the three.

It's a fair bit of "it is what it is" outside of Charlie and Harry at the moment and I hope it is addressed during the next draft/trade period.

More generally I don't believe Voss's plan is the main issue but I would like to ask him why he isn't using Cripps and Kennedy forward at all and why Kennedy seems to be swapping with Doc at half back. Not the most productive use of player skill sets in my opinion.

Time to work backwards and identify what has transpired over the last 12 months that triggered our downward form, if;

• Injuries - well low and behold don’t draft and recruit players with previous soft tissue concerns. Improve our physical and rehabilitation department, what are the players doing after hours... e.g Cripps hobbling around Sydney for an extra day may not be optimum recouperation strategy.
  • Coaching - what in particular? Communication? Tactics? Gameplan? Too many layers? Whatever it is collectively develop on a strategy and reset.... today is the start of a very mini pre season for the second half of 23.
  • Cliques - time to grow up and work on team bonding... give those working hard and proving form a chance
  • Pressures - from life to game day... find those affected with a mentor a confidant.. invest in people able to help the players identify strategies.
Now on Voss.. should we follow the give him time strategy? Well the Bombers and Hardwicks got about 6 years into their tenure made finals but were inconsistent with team output and were afforded time and support. Voss is not newbie by any means... this is his 6th season as a senior coach... his old club who he bled for didn’t afford him time and support in his 4th season, why? He then spent 9 years at Port as a number two of sorts... so we’re at 15 years of experience... missed out on many coaching gigs he put his hand up for. Can we bring in Roos, Parko, Matthews and Woosha to sit down with him for a couple of weeks at coaches meetings, game day, find strategies to assess what levers can be pulled to help him? Or is he a lost cause and not cut out for the top gig. If we visibly and genuinely make the effort to validate any decision we make on him come seasons end then I’ll be content and hope things right ship in 24.

Time to work backwards and identify what has transpired over the last 12 months that triggered our downward form, if;

• Injuries - well low and behold don’t draft and recruit players with previous soft tissue concerns. Improve our physical and rehabilitation department, what are the players doing after hours... e.g Cripps hobbling around Sydney for an extra day may not be optimum recouperation strategy.
  • Coaching - what in particular? Communication? Tactics? Gameplan? Too many layers? Whatever it is collectively develop on a strategy and reset.... today is the start of a very mini pre season for the second half of 23.
  • Cliques - time to grow up and work on team bonding... give those working hard and proving form a chance
  • Pressures - from life to game day... find those affected with a mentor a confidant.. invest in people able to help the players identify strategies.
Now on Voss.. should we follow the give him time strategy? Well the Bombers and Hardwicks got about 6 years into their tenure made finals but were inconsistent with team output and were afforded time and support. Voss is not newbie by any means... this is his 6th season as a senior coach... his old club who he bled for didn’t afford him time and support in his 4th season, why? He then spent 9 years at Port as a number two of sorts... so we’re at 15 years of experience... missed out on many coaching gigs he put his hand up for. Can we bring in Roos, Parko, Matthews and Woosha to sit down with him for a couple of weeks at coaches meetings, game day, find strategies to assess what levers can be pulled to help him? Or is he a lost cause and not cut out for the top gig. If we visibly and genuinely make the effort to validate any decision we make on him come seasons end then I’ll be content and hope things right ship in 24.
Prob forgot the most lateral thinker in Malcom Blight.
Roos is only available on Skype…

Didnt we bring in Walls to guide Teague a few weeks before pulling the trigger on him.. If Voss needs 'help' then why are we employing him, instead of replacing him with the bloke that has this expert knowledge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didnt we bring in Walls to guide Teague a few weeks before pulling the trigger on him.. If Voss needs 'help' then why are we employing him, instead of replacing him with the bloke that has this expert knowledge.

IIRC Walls was brought in to watch and assess Teague and his merit as a senior coach whilst doing his time as a caretaker coach, he was never any sort of guide or mentor to Teague (least as far as I know)

Why is getting help seen as a bad thing?

Surrounding your head coach with assistants who can be delegated to - and who let the head coach oversee more than anything else - is something most clubs look to do.

Even someone like Clarko, 4 x premiership coach and arguably the best the game has ever seen, has help from the likes of Ratten and Blakey in particular.

Why is getting help seen as a bad thing?

Surrounding your head coach with assistants who can be delegated to - and who let the head coach oversee more than anything else - is something most clubs look to do.

Even someone like Clarko, 4 x premiership coach and arguably the best the game has ever seen, has help from the likes of Ratten and Blakey in particular.
Because the head coach is the one that is supposed to come with the knowledge that he then passes down to the minions under neath to run the operations, not the other way round.

Because the head coach is the one that is supposed to come with the knowledge that he then passes down to the minions under neath to run the operations, not the other way round.

So this structure is a problem when Voss does it, but not so much when done at other clubs?

Why should Voss be held to a higher standard in this respect than his counterparts?

Modern high performing organisations, football or otherwise, do not operate this way.

The role of the leader isn't to tell people what to do -- it is to inspire, listen, trust & empower. They establish structure. They decentralise accountability and establish clear points of ownership. They value thought diversity and bring complimentary skill sets to the group. The leader is a subject matter expert in leading, and probably not much else.

Success is ultimately achieved as a group, not at the direction of an autocrat.

Last edited:
Modern high performing organisations, football or otherwise, do not operate this way.

The role of the leader isn't to tell people what to do -- it is to inspire, listen, trust & empower. They establish structure. They decentralise accoutable and establish clear points of ownership. They value thought diversity and bring complimentary subject matter experts to the group. The leader isn't the subject matter expert in all things, likely very few things beyond leading.

Success is ultimately achieved as a group, not at the direction of an autocratic leader.
Very autocratic post there
telling us what's what....................................

The role of the leader isn't to tell people what to do -- it is to inspire, listen, trust & empower. They establish structure. They decentralise accoutable and establish clear points of ownership. They value thought diversity and bring complimentary subject matter experts to the group. The leader isn't the subject matter expert in all things, likely very few things beyond leading.

Success is ultimately achieved as a group, not at the direction of an autocratic leader.
Sounds like someone is currently studying their MBA.

From my perspective, as a novice who watches nearly every game from the couch cos I'm interstate, there has been a obvious game plan change from last year.

The close losses and hell for leather approach from last year meant that the coaches instilled a methodical tempo controlled style.

The players were drilled with this over and over during preseason and as such each and every possession 'at clutch moments ' was endlessly scrutinised.

Unfortunately this has overwhelmed the players thinking and in their own minds ever error is magnified.
This is resulting in players being safe and ultimately very predictable to opposition players and coaches and not able to deal with pressure situations.

The coaches have over compensated and our players have thrown the baby out with the bath water.

I have no idea how this is remedied nor if Voss can be the one to fix it, but it is not something as black or white as blaming the coach or blaming the players.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really hope the Blues go well this week to open Voss’ mind to a bit of selection integrity and having the same underperforming blokes running out is no good.

If we beat the dees with Dow, Fish, Binns, Cincotta running around I’ll be ecstatic! He’s said numerous times he’s wanting stability in the senior side but it’s not working. All the best sides omit players each week, so vital to creating a competitive club culture

The fact that they didn't run out against Richmond with murder in their eyes is damning - in hindsight the first quarter of that game told us exactly how this year would pan out
yep, internal review or not, the stench of old Carlton is still there, opening up the cheque books, overpaying players who aren’t even elite, just to get a ‘big name’ through the door, hired guns instead of player development and promoting from within to maintain healthy depth and hunger for the contest.

Unfortunately the buck is always going to stop with the coach, regardless of the same flaws in the team from the last 3 coaches. Maybe it IS the coach, who knows, but the basic skills and willingness to play for the jumper just isn’t there bar ’the usual few’.

One thing I reckon is that Cook really needs to step up and start earning his dollars

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Michael Voss - The Real Boss!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back