Preview Moving On - Sydney Vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look the last few weeks have been an absolute nightmare, lets be honest. But there is some good news!

Every time I have EVER written up a preview over the last few seasons, we have WON. So don't worry our season isn't over, in fact I personally believe it has just begun.

Sydney Swans vs Collingwood Magpies
Round 22
Friday 9th August - 7:40PM
SCG

Sydney's previous form
- Lets not go into great detail here, we have fallen away from the Swans brand of footy

Collingwood's previous form - Collingwood have been up and down all season. but come into this game after an incredible victory over Carlton.

Last time they met: Sydney had an incredibly round 2, ruining the party as Collingwood unfurled their premiership flag!

What has gone wrong: I feel like a multitude of things have gone wrong, personally I think the balance of our side is out of what, losing gut runners like McInerney/ Papley and replacing them with underdone/ slower players in Parker and Mills has damaged our brand. At the same time I feel as if our fitness has dropped off (Likely due to a large load build with finals around the corner).

How can we fix this?: First of all, Mills needs to be moved to defense, his doing nothing up forward. I would also drop Parker and go with a lighter faster midfield.

Key Matchups this weekend?: First of all, the first lock with be Mr Jordan to Nick Daicos. After that I hope we don't lock down on Collingwood and back ourselves head to head, see if we can actually recover a little bit of form. I can see us potentially sticking someone (Maybe Wicks or Hayward) on Crisp if his playing out of defence.

Key Players for the Swans?:

Heeney: Heeney has been locked down in recent weeks, I feel as if we can free him up a bit this will go a long way to us winning the match. Maybe that involves Warner being on a half forward flank potentially, but I would love to see us allow Heeney have a bit more space to move.

Grundy: We need Grundy to find his form from earlier in the season, his been out of touch for a few weeks now and its showing (I also don't belive Ladhams and him make a good pairing).

Final Prediction and how the game will play out?

Swans by 42

I am expecting us to rebound HARD will definitely have a few statement selections this week (Can see Ladhams, Parker and potentially even Adams out at least). Collingwood may be a bit tired after last week, so hoping we can make a statement early on and run away with the game, building up our confidence.

If not well... there is always 2025.

Would be strange for Parker to go out, I'd think it's Wicks, Ladhams, Francis all on the chopping block. No idea why we started Fox forward when he should have been playing Francis' role.

Ins Melican Rampe Sheldrick
Outs Francis Ladhams Wicks
Sub Corey Warner

Pies only have 2 tall forwards in Cox and McStay so if fit, Rampe to play medium. If Melican not fit, Edwards in for debut, should be able to stay with Cox. If Rampe not fit, Corey Warner to play, Campbell sub.

I would not bring back Amartey, unless it's to replace Logan or McLean. 3 tall forwards not working.

Assuming Rampe & Melican are still out...

IN - Sheldrick, Cleary
OUT - Ladhams, Francis, Florent

B - Roberts, McCartin, Cunningham
HB - Blakey, Fox, Mills
C - Lloyd, Sheldrick, Gulden
HF - Heeney, McDonald, Warner
F - Wicks, McLean, Hayward
Foll - Grundy, Rowbottom, Cleary

IC - Adams, Warner Jr., Jordon, Parker

Sub - Florent

I have gone for a team that's shorter with more run, by taking Francis (liability) out and replacing him with Mills down back; and taking Ladhams (Amartey) out and replacing him with Heeney & Warner in the forward line. Those two forward leaves a gaping hole in the midfield to be filled by a rotation of young (Sheldrick, Cleary) and old (Parker, Adams) mids all with a focus on CONTESTED BALL.

It's a young team, it's a break from the three tall forward line I myself have been such a big advocate for, it has two of our star mids being taken out of the midfield, it has last week's scapegoat Warner Jr. given another go, it has all of the supposed fuddy-duddies in Mills, Parker and Adams in the team, it has Florent in the reserves where he belongs, and it potentially leaves us short at either end. And I simply don't care. Something has to change and we have to get a win here if we want to keep top spot, and I think this is the line-up that can make it happen.

Will Horse do it? I'm certain he won't.

IN - Sheldrick, Cleary

HB - Blakey, Fox, Mills

Sub - Florent

I have gone for a team that's shorter with more run, by taking Francis (liability) out and replacing him with Mills down back; and taking Ladhams (Amartey) out and replacing him with Heeney & Warner in the forward line. Those two forward leaves a gaping hole in the midfield to be filled by a rotation of young (Sheldrick, Cleary) and old (Parker, Adams) mids all with a focus on CONTESTED BALL.

It's a young team, it's a break from the three tall forward line I myself have been such a big advocate for, it has two of our star mids being taken out of the midfield, it has last week's scapegoat Warner Jr. given another go, it has all of the supposed fuddy-duddies in Mills, Parker and Adams in the team, it has Florent in the reserves where he belongs, and it potentially leaves us short at either end. And I simply don't care. Something has to change and we have to get a win here if we want to keep top spot, and I think this is the line-up that can make it happen.

Yep, that all makes good sense changing things up a bit. Not gonna happen!

firstly i genuinely believe we are no chance in this match even acknowledging that the pies are flakey and are without JDG. We would need to absolutely clamp on Nick Daicos (who is a truly exceptional kick of the footy) and prevent their mids from winning the ball - somethign that with the exception of north we havent been able to do for months. Then we would have to get them to turn the ball over under extremely high pressure. Not something that we are doing much of either.

Its difficult to believe how pessimistic I've become but I dont see a win here at all.

Heads have to roll after last weeks debacle. Florent would be the first “best 22” player I would have in the chopping block. Roberts to his role and Mills goes to the backline and stay there.

Even with all the changes, if we don’t fix our contest and will to compete from the opening bounce yet again, we will get a similar result to the Bulldogs game and that will be curtains for 2024.

Heads have to roll after last weeks debacle. Florent would be the first “best 22” player I would have in the chopping block. Roberts to his role and Mills goes to the backline and stay there.

Even with all the changes, if we don’t fix our contest and will to compete from the opening bounce yet again, we will get a similar result to the Bulldogs game and that will be curtains for 2024.
Yep if the only ones that are dropped comes from these names - Parker, Wicks, Ladhams, Francis, Warner Jr., Fox - that would be an absolute joke.

IN - Sheldrick, Cleary

HB - Blakey, Fox, Mills

Sub - Florent

Are Melican and Rampe unlikely to play or are you thinking it best to give them more time? This would be the game to do it as the Pies are not a big forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IN - Sheldrick, Cleary

HB - Blakey, Fox, Mills

Sub - Florent

If Horse wants to make somewhat of a statement, Florent is absolutely the established player who should go.

Ironically I thought Saturday was one of his better games for the year which says it all.

This side really needs a crucial win to stop the rot...

All the teams that have momentum now... there was always that key win that got them going into red hot form. Look at Brisbane. Got that win against the Dogs at Marvel to get their season going.

For the clubs sake, better hope it is this game.

I don't give a shit who Horse does or doesn't pick, but if the team don't put up a fight this week then they can collectively gagf.
That's all I care about. Not worried about result - just some signs of a pulse. Get stuck in, put on some pressure and put some serious effort. Whatever else comes on top of that is a bonus.

Otherwise, imho the season will officially be BBQd.

I've had another go. Assuming one of Melican or Rampe are back. Sounds like Melican we were just cautious with.

OUT - IN

Francis - Melican (or Rampe)
Mills - Cleary
Wicks - Hanily
Hayward - Campbell
Parker - Sheldrick
Ladhams - Hamling
Florent to sub

FB: Cunners TMac Fox
HB: Blakey Melican Roberts
C: Gulden Jordon Warner
HF: Campbell McDonald CoWarner
FF: Heeney McLean Hanily
R: Grundy Rowbottom Sheldrick
Int: Hamling Lloyd Cleary Adams
Sub: Florent

Jordon's highest CBA this year was 46% against the Pies, in a good win. Do it again.

Campbell to play the role he did when drafted.

Hamling can play at either end. Give him an interceptor to nullify, or he can go back if we need his height (unlikely). More mobile than Francis.

I am a bit concerned with the likes of Hanily, Cleary, Sheldrick running out a full game, but can rotate the latter two forward. And Hanily has worked hard even late in the VFL.

I've had another go. Assuming one of Melican or Rampe are back. Sounds like Melican we were just cautious with.

OUT - IN

Francis - Melican (or Rampe)
Mills - Cleary
Wicks - Hanily
Hayward - Campbell
Parker - Sheldrick
Ladhams - Hamling
Florent to sub

FB: Cunners TMac Fox
HB: Blakey Melican Roberts
C: Gulden Jordon Warner
HF: Campbell McDonald CoWarner
FF: Heeney McLean Hanily
R: Grundy Rowbottom Sheldrick
Int: Hamling Lloyd Cleary Adams
Sub: Florent

Jordon's highest CBA this year was 46% against the Pies, in a good win. Do it again.

Campbell to play the role he did when drafted.

Hamling can play at either end. Give him an interceptor to nullify, or he can go back if we need his height (unlikely). More mobile than Francis.

I am a bit concerned with the likes of Hanily, Cleary, Sheldrick running out a full game, but can rotate the latter two forward. And Hanily has worked hard even late in the VFL.
I can’t agree with dropping Hayward (unless his ankle is screwed).

He had a stinker last week, but prior to that showed genuine ticker & was among our better players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back