Preview Moving On - Sydney Vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This blokes name has been mentioned one too many times here throughout the year. He will be delisted before a debut

Agree, honesty not sure what people see in him, maybe I'm wrong but sorry I don't see it seems VFL standard at best

Seems like plenty here want the better in form players in the reserves picked but when there are opportunities, and they underperform, suddenly it’s the wrong decision and they should have gone with someone else.

Francis has been our best defender in the 2s. Hamling was moved out of there. Hamling stared well as a forward but his form has faded at the same time Ladhams form as a key forward (/ruck) has been better.

Francis and Ladhams were the correct choices based on reserves form.

(And I don’t personally think Hamling would be a viable key forward at AFL level, is slow and would offer little after the contest).
Francis was the right choice. Most in form KPD at reserves level. You'd go with that any day.

Ladhams for Grundy is a more ideal swap. I'd probably have brought Hamling in for Amartey, except that Grundy also probably needed to be managed.

I'm always loathe to single out defenders when the rest of the team throw them under the bus, which they did from start to finish the other night.

But this week with one of Rampe or Melican back, Francis doesn't have a spot. If it's only Rampe back (don't risk Melican if he's in doubt), then I'd bring Hamling for Ladhams, instead of Amartey back, he can play forward (is more mobile) unless we need him down back.

Agree, honesty not sure what people see in him, maybe I'm wrong but sorry I don't see it seems VFL standard at best
We could start by playing him in his actual position while we have a functional reserves side.

People have a crack at Campbell, Magor etc but maybe we should play them in the position that got them drafted by us. I'm all for experimenting, but maybe do the logical thing before writing players off.

Don’t rush anyone back, give those like Grundy a rest.

Go hard Q1, if doing well press on. If way behind, put the cue in the rack. Save it for dons and crows.

Only need to win 2 for Top 2 finish.

We could start by playing him in his actual position while we have a functional reserves side.

People have a crack at Campbell, Magor etc but maybe we should play them in the position that got them drafted by us. I'm all for experimenting, but maybe do the logical thing before writing players off.

Sure but at this stage he’s nowhere near AFL standard so leave him in the VFL

Sure but at this stage he’s nowhere near AFL standard so leave him in the VFL
Most of our seniors team are currently not at VFL standard, so while I wouldn't bring him in this week, I'm not sure having to be AFL standard is the main criteria I'm looking at this week.

Most of our seniors team are currently not at VFL standard, so while I wouldn't bring him in this week, I'm not sure having to be AFL standard is the main criteria I'm looking at this week.

It is when we are facing a good side on Friday night and not North

Where did I say that? Adding more reserve players won’t help
Your criteria seemed to be having AFL standard players against the Pies.

How do you know that dropping unfit, out of touch players and replacing them with players who might at least bring effort, won't help?

It might spur the remaining players on because their places aren't guaranteed any more, and the dropped/managed players might come back next week, while we still have time to stay in the Top 2, with some extra motivation and energy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your criteria seemed to be having AFL standard players against the Pies.

How do you know that dropping unfit, out of touch players and replacing them with players who might at least bring effort, won't help?

It might spur the remaining players on because their places aren't guaranteed any more, and the dropped/managed players might come back next week, while we still have time to stay in the Top 2, with some extra motivation and energy.

Replace them with Rampe, Melican, and Amartey sure not your Magor types. Expecting more than a couple of changes is silly it won’t happen and will never happen barring a mass injury crisis and it’s not.

It’s simple Rampe and Amartey in with Francis and Ladhams out simple. Melican I feel we give an extra week

The Exec Summary (in case you can't be bothered reading):

• McI gone for another month
  • Players given 2 days off
  • No significant changes apart from a couple of injury returns

BUT ....

This statement from Horse I find galling, given his propensity to scapegoat young players (Corey, Campbell):

"You've got to provide some solutions to players but also provide some confidence to them. You've got to make sure that those confidence levels are also sustainable because it is, they've proven it, they've been a very good team,"

Replace them with Rampe, Melican, and Amartey sure not your Magor types. Expecting more than a couple of changes is silly it won’t happen and will never happen barring a mass injury crisis and it’s not.

It’s simple Rampe and Amartey in with Francis and Ladhams out simple. Melican I feel we give an extra week
So leave the unfit, out of touch players in the side? Got it.

And I'm being silly (for wanting, not expecting more changes).

I also said I wouldn't bring Magor in.

BUT ....

This statement from Horse I find galling, given his propensity to scapegoat young players (Corey, Campbell):

"You've got to provide some solutions to players but also provide some confidence to them. You've got to make sure that those confidence levels are also sustainable because it is, they've proven it, they've been a very good team,"
Sensible approach. Give them a couple of days to freshen up then see how they respond.

Back them in as well.

Having listened to Horse's presser (which was pretty good) I expect only 2 changes this week:

IN: Amartey, Rampe

Out: Ladhams, Francis

BUT ....

Seems to me like he's referring there to the regulars in the 22, rather than the fringe players such as Warner Jr. and Campbell.

As in, they won't be penalised for their involvement in the weekend's debacle because they've been good all season.

I don't know how that explains Florent and Hayward then.

Seems to me like he's referring there to the regulars in the 22, rather than the fringe players such as Warner Jr. and Campbell.

As in, they won't be penalised for their involvement in the weekend's debacle because they've been good all season.

I don't know how that explains Florent and Hayward then.
Yep, I agree.

Its my no.1 issue with Horse - he has his favourites & it feels like fringe players are often collateral damage.

I'd look at changing the centre bounce set-up for the first quarter (see how we're going from there).

Maybe start Chad forward because one would have to assume it would change a lot of Collingwood's plans AND make us more dangerous up forward. Start with Heeney, Rowbottom and Adams in there and try to turn it into a scrap early and stop them from racing out of the blocks. Then once we have some confidence, try to outclass them.

I think the availability of Rampe and/or Melican will be a big deal. If we start slow again, we really need our backline to be playing out of their skins. We've shown we can come from behind, but we need to make sure we don't need to fall too far behind.

Such is my nature, I am trying to look for some positives......

All I can come up with:
Surely it couldn't get any worse?
Surely they couldn't play that bad again?
Surely??????

We're still on top of the ladder for at least another week no matter what happens
We still have 4 weeks before finals to get things sorted out
We might be close to full strength again before finals
We have a young list so this isn't our final trip up the mountain
Prior to playing the worst football of any team this season, at one stage we were playing the best football
We no longer have the pressure of premiership favourtism
We're still probably better off than Carlton

That's all I've got

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back