Preview Moving On - Sydney Vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're still on top of the ladder for at least another week no matter what happens
We still have 4 weeks before finals to get things sorted out
We might be close to full strength again before finals
We have a young list so this isn't our final trip up the mountain
Prior to playing the worst football of any team this season, at one stage we were playing the best football
We no longer have the pressure of premiership favourtism
We're still probably better off than Carlton

That's all I've got
You did far better than me my friend 😀

So leave the unfit, out of touch players in the side? Got it.

And I'm being silly (for wanting, not expecting more changes).

I also said I wouldn't bring Magor in.

Rather back a good side to come good 3 weeks ago we almost beat the Lions away. You don’t lose talent. You back your squad to come good.

Rather back a good side to come good 3 weeks ago we almost beat the Lions away. You don’t lose talent. You back your squad to come good.
My question is honestly how long do you wait for a player to get back into form? I understand 2-3 weeks etc, but if its a subjective thing can't you just keep kicking the can down the road with no hardline in place?

If Sheldrick can't get picked when the midfield is this disfunctional and outright atrociously bad he is (or ought to be) mentally packing his bag back to the the West. Yet another gun Horse will drive away due to his pig headedness.

If I'm Sheldrick and don't get picked ahead of Mills or Adams this week I'm taking it easy from here on, injury prevention and get to the Eagles cheaply in a trade the name of the game.

My question is honestly how long do you wait for a player to get back into form? I understand 2-3 weeks etc, but if its a subjective thing can't you just keep kicking the can down the road with no hardline in place?

It’s only been 2 weeks from the Lions game the last two have been awful unforgivable whatever you want to use but we almost beat the flag favourite away from home with no bench that game. The talent is there it’s getting the right mix making 5+ needless changes isn’t going to help. The obvious 2 (would be 3 if Melican is fit) will suffice this week

It’s only been 2 weeks from the Lions game the last two have been awful unforgivable whatever you want to use but we almost beat the flag favourite away from home with no bench that game. The talent is there it’s getting the right mix making 5+ needless changes isn’t going to help. The obvious 2 (would be 3 if Melican is fit) will suffice this week
Mills didn't play against the Lions, neither did Wicks. Can we at least swap them out too?

You have to set a standard to be a winning football team and club. Mills is nowhere near that standard atm.
Nothing wrong with letting him get to that standard in the VFL.
He's never been that great a player that he should be in the team no matter what anyway. He's been central in our midfield getting absolutely spanked when IN form over the last few years, let alone out of form.

I've never really liked the 3 talls strat. Eith McLean or Amarty play the forward/ruck role, but not both in the team. It worked earlier so I guess we'll stick with it, too late in the season to change etc. If we can't get it down there doesn't help

You have to set a standard to be a winning football team and club. Mills is nowhere near that standard atm.
Nothing wrong with letting him get to that standard in the VFL.
He's never been that great a player that he should be in the team no matter what anyway. He's been central in our midfield getting absolutely spanked when IN form over the last few years, let alone out of form.
I would drop Mills, but not sure we can have a go at him for "years" worth of midfield failures. He wasn't great last year, but did miss 6 or so weeks in the middle of the season. And he's barely played this year.

Prior to that, he was AA, so maybe it was others around him (mostly kids and Parker) that need to be looked at.

Fair enough, my next question is do you look at the team as a whole or do you look at individual player performances in the 2-5 week span?

If Sheldrick can't get picked when the midfield is this disfunctional and outright atrociously bad he is (or ought to be) mentally packing his bag back to the the West. Yet another gun Horse will drive away due to his pig headedness.

If I'm Sheldrick and don't get picked ahead of Mills or Adams this week I'm taking it easy from here on, injury prevention and get to the Eagles cheaply in a trade the name of the game.
Sheldrick has had an injury interrupted season which followed missing half of last year through injury. He also missed the first half of his first season.

Kid has to get his body right first and foremost and also his kicking for that matter, his three games back since his latest injury and his kicking hasn’t been great (not that it’s his strength).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're still on top of the ladder for at least another week no matter what happens
We still have 4 weeks before finals to get things sorted out
We might be close to full strength again before finals
We have a young list so this isn't our final trip up the mountain
Prior to playing the worst football of any team this season, at one stage we were playing the best football
We no longer have the pressure of premiership favourtism
We're still probably better off than Carlton

That's all I've got

Pretty much cant get worse than 11 goals to 0.
Brisbane will claim top if they win this week and we lose
Agree with everything else

Gonna be a villain here and say im still not convinced on McLean as a forward spear head long term. Yes he competes but just enough and can clunk them sometimes but he is missing something that any of the top tall forwards have and that is mongrel and presence.

When the ball is coming in i just don’t feel convinced that he is coming in at the ball with the mindset that **** this, this ball is mine get out of the ****ing way. He seems to just go at it without exploding into the contest.

You could say the same about Logan as well but McLean is built like a truck.

Also not to mention he isn’t anywhere near a reliable set shot at goal.

Like I said, still not convinced on him long term.

Hes the second ruck role more so than a forward

They moved him into amarteys role and ladhams as 2nd ruck

Shouldve kept mclean in his position

He’s looked the best for us in the VFL.
I'm guessing Horse thinks he is not ready, given his average 24% game time between his two games this year, starting as sub in both of them and not getting a lick of midfield time in either match. But geez I just think there's gotta be someone different in the mids this week. Give the boys in there a fresh face to work with. He's got a bit of pace, got some hardness, no reason he can't bounce off the other mids really nicely. He's had a taste at senior level, gone back to the VFL, had a bit of a slump, responded with a few really strong games. Come on Horse!!

If I was the coaches, I would be looking for all the pressure and contest errors from last week, and then finding footage from earlier in the year when we did those things really well. Make a positive compilation of what this team can do, and play it each morning before each training session - then get the players to crack in.

Gameplan, structure, etc can all wait until we have the belief back. We lost belief last week. Time to remember what the team is all about and what it is capable of.

I don’t care if we win or lose on Friday, I want to see us playing without fear. Go for that corridor kick and know your teammate is going to sprint back to save you if you make a mistake. Chase down that player on the break, even if the best you can do is slightly pressure their kick, knowing your defender is going to go in hard to make a spoil with the 20 milliseconds you give them to cut down space. Leave it all out there and be willing to lose or look stupid. At the very worst, it will feel better than last week - and who knows, you might actually start enjoying footy again.

I'm guessing Horse thinks he is not ready, given his average 24% game time between his two games this year, starting as sub in both of them and not getting a lick of midfield time in either match. But geez I just think there's gotta be someone different in the mids this week. Give the boys in there a fresh face to work with. He's got a bit of pace, got some hardness, no reason he can't bounce off the other mids really nicely. He's had a taste at senior level, gone back to the VFL, had a bit of a slump, responded with a few really strong games. Come on Horse!!
I agree with this if you mean Horse doesn't believe he is ready for the full time mid role.
I think in 2025 he will play but will be a small forward much like that of Parker/Adams role with 20-30% time on ball
In 2026 i think he transitions to being on ball as Heeney will honestly be cooked by then

Also think he can still play a role for us in 2024 given the mess of that small forward/fourth on baller that we have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back