Preview Moving On - Sydney Vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Sheldrick can't get picked when the midfield is this disfunctional and outright atrociously bad he is (or ought to be) mentally packing his bag back to the the West. Yet another gun Horse will drive away due to his pig headedness.

If I'm Sheldrick and don't get picked ahead of Mills or Adams this week I'm taking it easy from here on, injury prevention and get to the Eagles cheaply in a trade the name of the game.
Sheldrick still has another year with the Swans.
From what I have seen of zSheldrick, he has pride and selflessness in his performances.
Taking it easy is not in his DNA.

If some TLC is what works with this group and gets them to rally and avoid an embarrassing collapse by season's end, then I'll be the first one to praise him. If it doesn't work, and the capitulation continues... well, I think it would be hard to give him a pass mark.

He ultimately knows the playing group better than anyone, so I guess these are the times when Horse gets to prove why he is the coach on seven figures and we are just the amateurs.

Over to you Horse.
Heard on the radio they gave the players 2 days off to freshen up.

The best football played by any team this year was by us, also the worst football played this year was by us. Fair to say the gap between our best and worst is enormous, way more so than any other side, hence the untrustworthiness (soft underbelly, whatever you want to call it).
The underbelly gets exposed usually at the worst/most humiliating time. Maybe it happening so recently and before finals may turn out to be a good thing in hindsight, who knows, I'll still take being one of the worst premiers ever to not being one at all.
I think we'll turn it around to an extent, it's just can we turn it around in time to save top 4/this season (a lot of improvement needed in 1 training session between games).

The Port game should've been the response game, it wasn't, but surely we will get one here.....if the players have any respect for the club and pride at all they will be smarting.....we'll know in the first 10 minutes.

There's no silver bullet we'll just be shuffling fringe players but Francis, Ladhams, Wicks need to go. The ins will just be the guys returning from injury/other fringe players in better form. Could maybe drop 1 more on top of that but there won't be any statements made at selection, there's just not much to bring in that allows us to make one.
I hope Rampe is genuinely fit to bring in. Defence has looked all at sea last 2 weeks, also got injured before our 3rd qtr capitulation in our next worst performance against Richmond. Could just be a massive coincidence, but outside looking in it does seem he's the real captain of the side.

If Sheldrick can't get picked when the midfield is this disfunctional and outright atrociously bad he is (or ought to be) mentally packing his bag back to the the West. Yet another gun Horse will drive away due to his pig headedness.

If I'm Sheldrick and don't get picked ahead of Mills or Adams this week I'm taking it easy from here on, injury prevention and get to the Eagles cheaply in a trade the name of the game.

Maybe Sheldrick isn't as unrealistic about how he is going as the fans are

Don't know how I feel about giving them 2 days off after that.

They aren't going to train the shit out of them given how flat they are.

They aren't going to clockwork orange them with constant replays of how shit they have been.

Get away and get it out of your system makes a lot of sense .

I recommend you all take 2 days away

Freshens you up

Ok now I am done until after we win

Calm down all we got this

Sheldrick still has another year with the Swans.
From what I have seen of zSheldrick, he has pride and selflessness in his performances.
Taking it easy is not in his DNA.
Angus Sheldrick is (according to someone who knows him well) incredibly competitive and driven.

He will be absolutely busting a gut to get an opportunity.

And if Horse won’t, West Coast will.

I’d find that an incredibly disappointing outcome - not only because Parker & Adams are near the end, but also because it’d be yet another first rounder that we’ve torched.

It’s hard to know what his fitness base is like, given Horse’s comment around “carrying a bit of a foot issue” - but if he’s healthy, Sheldrick offers what we’ve lacked for weeks - contested ball.

Like some others have noted - if it’s not now (and it won’t be), then when?

PS: yes, I know, I’m biased - but as I watched Horne-Francis destroy us last week, I couldn’t help but harken back to their draft years, when Gus denied JHF the pill to the extent he (JHF) had to be shifted out of the mids just to get near it. That was pure effort and determination on Gus’ part - and he hasn’t lost it.

Quasi-rant over. Back in my box now.

Last edited:
I think we'll turn it around this week, but not by a heap. I feel like the scintillating form we were in is long gone. Dunno about everyone else but i'm getting strong 2023 vibes - We turned our form around and knew our best footy was good enough to warrant making the grand final the year before, but ultimately that form improvement was based on slogging it out rather than playing dynamic footy. Never felt like we were going to be good enough to win that final v Carlton.

If we get a rise from the team i think its going to turn back into that slog style of footy at best (with the focus on getting back to winning the contest). And I think the inclusions of Mills and Parker feed into that style more so than the one that would win us the premiership.

Wow, reading this thread, Taylor Adams might be single most unfair whipping boy this board has landed on.

He's one of only a few players that hasn't completely embarrassed himself in the past few weeks.

I think he should be in the starting midfield on Friday and he's one of the last players I'd drop at the moment.

Assuming everyone I've named is available (and being realistic):

In: Rampe, Melican, Amartey, Cleary/Sheldrick
Out: Ladhams, Francis, Wicks, Mills/Florent

Don't really care which one of Mills or Florent is dropped, but if it's Florent, Mills should be playing deep in defence and shouldn't be sighted anywhere near the midfield or forward line.

I also wouldn't mind if Wicks was retained over Parker. He was very important earlier in the season and he's one of my favourites at his best, but has been poor for a month or so now. I'd play Corey Warner forward, and whichever one of Parker/Wicks we back in would be the sub.

Blakey to play on the wing. That was the only move I liked last week. Swapping McDonald and Francis was ridiculous and did nothing for either player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, reading this thread, Taylor Adams might be single most unfair whipping boy this board has landed on.

He's one of only a few players that hasn't completely embarrassed himself in the past few weeks.

I think he should be in the starting midfield on Friday and he's one of the last players I'd drop at the moment.

Don't really care which one of Mills or Florent is dropped, but if it's Florent, Mills should be playing deep in defence and shouldn't be sighted anywhere near the midfield or forward line.

I also wouldn't mind if Wicks was retained over Parker. He was very important earlier in the season and he's one of my favourites at his best, but has been poor for a month or so now. I'd play Corey Warner forward, and whichever one of Parker/Wicks we back in would be the sub.

Blakey to play on the wing. That was the only move I liked last week. Swapping McDonald and Francis was ridiculous and did nothing for either player.
Yep I have to agree, I don't get it. If we had have had a few more that dug in like he did, yeah we still wouldn't have won but I don't believe the end result would have been anywhere near the embarrassment it ended up.

Yep I have to agree, I don't get it. If we had have had a few more that dug in like he did, yeah we still wouldn't have won but I don't believe the end result would have been anywhere near the embarrassment it ended up.

Adams has been one of the few that has dug in even when losing. Look we were terrible against the Dogs but was close to our only mid worth a pinch of you know what that game.

Adams has tried (mostly), just not that composed or effective. But in contrast to the effort of others, yeah he stays in.

For me, I'm dropping Mills and Parker to the VFL, so I'm keeping Adams in to support a midfield of Rowy, Jordon, Sheldrick, Cleary, with Warner/Gulden on the wings and Heeney mostly forward.

Adams has tried (mostly), just not that composed or effective. But in contrast to the effort of others, yeah he stays in.

For me, I'm dropping Mills and Parker to the VFL, so I'm keeping Adams in to support a midfield of Rowy, Jordon, Sheldrick, Cleary, with Warner/Gulden on the wings and Heeney mostly forward.
I think Heeney should stay in the midfield, he just needs more assistance which he won't get from Warner, hence I think it should be Rowy and Adams in there with him.

Happy to see those you mentioned spending time in there too with Jordon shutting down Daicos.

Why does everyone want to roll the VFL side out for a must win game.
Agreed. It's not the answer. Our best bet this year is backing in the team that was the best in the competition for over half the season, or as close to that team as possible.

Agreed. It's not the answer. Our best bet this year is backing in the team that was the best in the competition for over half the season, or as close to that team as possible.

Now i've calmed down lol

It's our only choice.

Yes you can move fringe in and out, but we just need to get our best possible side out there , we are still top , not rebuilding .

We saw Francis and Ladhams were off the pace why do we want more of that 🤣.

Why is it on Cleary to tidy this shit up 😂

The main thing I want to see this Friday night is intent and attack on the ball but I also really want to signs that we are working on a plan C.

Plan A was stuffed as soon as teams started guarding the corridor. Plan B hasn't worked because we're shit in the air and even when the ball hits the ground we're getting killed in the contest (this part can probably be fixed with effort though).

I really want to see us finding a new way to transition that doesn't rely on our key talls. One thing that really impressed me about Port in the last game was their intent in how they moved the ball even when we had players back. If there was no good option up the ground they immediately switched the play and did it with intent and purpose. There would often be 2 or 3 kicks and marks within 10 seconds and suddenly they're on the other side of the ground.

If we don't take first option up the field we just look confused and lost and eventually just bomb it to the wing. I really want to see us just moving the ball quickly, even if it's not necessarily forward. Make the opposition to work to defend territory instead of just letting them have it.

Because rolling the AFL side out hasn't worked in recent weeks?

It's worked most of the year (admittedly it didn't work in a major way when it went wrong)

Last weeks margin doesn't really matter though.

I think Heeney should stay in the midfield, he just needs more assistance which he won't get from Warner, hence I think it should be Rowy and Adams in there with him.

Happy to see those you mentioned spending time in there too with Jordon shutting down Daicos.
I can't recall what Jordon did against the Pies last time, Daicos got 37 touches. But he was in at 46% of bounces, so I'd repeat that and see what happens. Try something different, it was easily his highest CBA % of the year. And we won.

Heeney would attend some bounces anyway, but he is struggling, physically it looks like. Hence changing things up and putting him up forward mostly.

It's worked most of the year (admittedly it didn't work in a major way when it went wrong)

Last weeks margin doesn't really matter though.
I mean, yeah the margin does, as was the performance behind it.

In any case, no-one is rolling out the VFL side.

I suggested 6 changes, 2 of which were replacing "VFL" players. I was bringing in 2 players who have played the majority of the year in seniors. Sheldrick has played senior footy before, looked at home until injury. Cleary and Hanily yeah, pretty new, but at some point we have to have selection integrity and reward effort/impact at the lower level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back