Preview Moving On - Sydney Vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main thing I want to see this Friday night is intent and attack on the ball but I also really want to signs that we are working on a plan C.

Plan A was stuffed as soon as teams started guarding the corridor. Plan B hasn't worked because we're shit in the air and even when the ball hits the ground we're getting killed in the contest (this part can probably be fixed with effort though).

I really want to see us finding a new way to transition that doesn't rely on our key talls. One thing that really impressed me about Port in the last game was their intent in how they moved the ball even when we had players back. If there was no good option up the ground they immediately switched the play and did it with intent and purpose. There would often be 2 or 3 kicks and marks within 10 seconds and suddenly they're on the other side of the ground.

If we don't take first option up the field we just look confused and lost and eventually just bomb it to the wing. I really want to see us just moving the ball quickly, even if it's not necessarily forward. Make the opposition to work to defend territory instead of just letting them have it.
The interesting thing is iirc Horse lamented the fact that we weren't backing ourselves to take on the corridor when interviewed either at quarter or half time on the weekend, which indicates there's a disconnect between the instructions and how that actually plays out.

I think we need more of a chip-mark game to arrest, or at least quell, momentum. It would give our forwards more time to get on the move which would especially suit Amartey, McDonald and Hayward much more.

The interesting thing is iirc Horse lamented the fact that we weren't backing ourselves to take on the corridor when interviewed either at quarter or half time on the weekend, which indicates there's a disconnect between the instructions and how that actually plays out.

I think we need more of a chip-mark game to arrest, or at least quell, momentum. It would give our forwards more time to get on the move which would especially suit Amartey, McDonald and Hayward much more.

Yeah I found that really interesting as well as I still think our best chance is through the corridor. It's a relief to know that the main plan isn't just bomb it down the wing and hope we can mark or win a ground ball.

I think our ball use has just become really stagnant lately with no real intent behind it. Like I said... I'd much rather see us chipping it around the back half uncontested than hand it to the opposition on a platter. Especially as, at worst, it can be used to arrest momentum like you pointed out. At best, it unsettles the oppositions defence up the ground and gives us a chance to find an open target in the corridor.

I mean, yeah the margin does, as was the performance behind it.

In any case, no-one is rolling out the VFL side.

I suggested 6 changes, 2 of which were replacing "VFL" players. I was bringing in 2 players who have played the majority of the year in seniors. Sheldrick has played senior footy before, looked at home until injury. Cleary and Hanily yeah, pretty new, but at some point we have to have selection integrity and reward effort/impact at the lower level.

The margin doesn't matter in the sense that we still start 0-0 against Collingwood, we still sit 1st and can still win the flag if good enough.

I accept yes ok the signs it shows and how we lost matter of course , but in simplistic terms the side needs to believe its starting fresh it's still good and still top.

We may not get back to top with 3 rounds to go as a platform into finals anytime soon. So yeah selection integrity matters but winning does too.

As ****en woeful and awful as they clearly were the last two, the best team we have has still won more games than anyone else until now,
so for better or worse we get back to that side. Rampe in, Melican etc etc . You might well go ok Sheldrick belongs in that, even a debutant . But we aren't making 6-7 changes
mJust my opinion, worth nothing.

But I think this is a positive week and a tremendous opportunity for this group.

Show the league what you can do

The margin doesn't matter in the sense that we still start 0-0 against Collingwood, we still sit 1st and can still win the flag if good enough.

I accept yes ok the signs it shows and how we lost matter of course , but in simplistic terms the side needs to believe its starting fresh it's still good and still top.

We may not get back to top with 3 rounds to go as a platform into finals anytime soon. So yeah selection integrity matters but winning does too.

As ****en woeful and awful as they clearly were the last two, the best team we have has still won more games than anyone else until now,
so for better or worse we get back to that side. Rampe in, Melican etc etc . You might well go ok Sheldrick belongs in that, even a debutant . But we aren't making 6-7 changes

But I think this is a positive week and a tremendous opportunity for this group.

My suggestions were...

Francis - Melican (or Rampe, more likely)
Mills - Cleary
Wicks - Hanily
Hayward - Campbell
Parker - Sheldrick
Ladhams - Hamling
Florent to sub

Have Cleary or Hanily as sub instead of Florent sure.

Maybe bring Amartey back instead of Hamling, just means Fox is our only 3rd KPD option.

Then it's just Cleary and Hanily as newish/new faces, one as sub.

My suggestions were...

Francis - Melican (or Rampe, more likely)
Mills - Cleary
Wicks - Hanily
Hayward - Campbell
Parker - Sheldrick
Ladhams - Hamling
Florent to sub

Have Cleary or Hanily as sub instead of Florent sure.

Maybe bring Amartey back instead of Hamling, just means Fox is our only 3rd KPD option.

Then it's just Cleary and Hanily as newish/new faces, one as sub.

To be fair I never said you were wrong or commented on your individual selections .

I wouldn't drop Mills Parker Hayward or Florent unless injured but that's just me

Adams got his ass kicked every which way it is possible to for a senior player last game.
Mills even worse.

I'd call Mills' performance the worst by a senior Swan in living memory.

And all the cheerleaders on here acting like Adams is Brett Kirk out there...and Mills is Adam Goodes?

Drop them both now for young and hungry players, and all concerned still have time to put some form together either in the 1s or 2s that demands selection come final round and into finals. As it is we're going to limp into finals with a vastly underperforming midfield and no idea if (or experience given to) those coming in could do better?

Letting both Mills & Adams play after that last game would be an utter disgrace to the jersey. They embarrassed the club.

Horse is embarrassing the club if changes are not made.

Shocked Oh My God GIF

To be fair I never said you were wrong or commented on your individual selections .

I wouldn't drop Mills Parker Hayward or Florent unless injured but that's just me
No, but you said people were rolling out the VFL team and I've called for as many changes as anyone.

Call Mills, Parker and Hayward "managed" and tbh, for all 3 that's partially true, for Hayward and Mills it'd be totally true in my eyes.

Adams got his ass kicked every which way it is possible to for a senior player last game.
Mills even worse.

I'd call Mills' performance the worst by a senior Swan in living memory.

And all the cheerleaders on here acting like Adams is Brett Kirk out there...and Mills is Adam Goodes?

Drop them both now for young and hungry players, and all concerned still have time to put some form together either in the 1s or 2s that demands selection come final round and into finals. As it is we're going to limp into finals with a vastly underperforming midfield and no idea if (or experience given to) those coming in could do better?

Letting both Mills & Adams play after that last game would be an utter disgrace to the jersey. They embarrassed the club.

Horse is embarrassing the club if changes are not made.

Guernsey

No, but you said people were rolling out the VFL team and I've called for as many changes as anyone.

Call Mills, Parker and Hayward "managed" and tbh, for all 3 that's partially true, for Hayward and Mills it'd be totally true in my eyes.

Ok look to be honest sorry I didn't even notice your post.

But at least you were reasoned with your thoughts now I read them.

We all don't have to agree and on Saturday night I would have dropped them all 🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok look to be honest sorry I didn't even notice your post.

But at least you were reasoned with your thoughts now I read them.

We all don't have to agree and on Saturday night I would have dropped them all
I had to rein myself in a few times, settled on the 6 or 7 changes as a moderate response to watching the game live.

I was going to cut Blakey and Warner as well early on.

Last edited:

See I thought all of this, but last week. And then they came out and played like they did against Port. So for me there has to be a shift and it may have to be forced.

It's not like it's a bad week or two. I think we've been poor since HT of the GWS game nearly seven weeks ago.

Guys like Florent and Hayward have had good games here and there but mostly been mediocre this season, as they usually are.

Midfield needs to change, because Grundy's not exactly firing and Heeney looks cooked, so our contested core is struggling, and Warner is just a wasted spot on the inside. If Adams and Parker aren't the answer in there, then the next options are Sheldrick and Cleary, no?

None of the above is ideal, but that's what happens when you get a group of senior players who have almost thrown a half-season's worth of work away and who don't look like making us a formidable team any time soon.

If it ends up costing us a must-win game, well then it's their own faults.

See I thought all of this, but last week. And then they came out and played like they did against Port. So for me there has to be a shift and it may have to be forced.

It's not like it's a bad week or two. I think we've been poor since HT of the GWS game nearly seven weeks ago.

Guys like Florent and Hayward have had good games here and there but mostly been mediocre this season, as they usually are.

Midfield needs to change, because Grundy's not exactly firing and Heeney looks cooked, so our contested core is struggling, and Warner is just a wasted spot on the inside. If Adams and Parker aren't the answer in there, then the next options are Sheldrick and Cleary, no?

None of the above is ideal, but that's what happens when you get a group of senior players who have almost thrown a half-season's worth of work away and who don't look like making us a formidable team any time soon.

I think Top 2 is the reasonable goal, not going to make much difference to finishing first. Failing that it's Top 4.

So we're really aiming for 2 wins, 1 can get us Top 2 if we're lucky, but likely 2.

We can just hope that mostly the same team turns it around this week, it's possible, but no-one can rationally assume this.

Or we can be proactive, manage or omit some players that need to gain match fitness/touch, or have been struggling. Yeah, you may lose still, but it hopefully sets you up better for the following weeks.

Even if it takes more than 1 week, your must win game is against the Crows to ensure Top 4. And then you just have to win away. If we've corrected things by then, that's doable.

Collingwood

Yeah but I only thought it all this week, so let's reset now instead 🤣

As a vegan toasties are a challenge for me, but I did once have a grilled vegan cheese toastie with a pesto sauce on top. Weird mix that ended up tasting bloody good

Vegan hey interesting 🤔

What made you go down that path if I can ask

Yes it was Adams who had our second most contested possessions, kicked one of our only goals, and cracked in when very few others would that embarrassed the club.

Out: Wicks, Francis, Ladhams
In: Rampe, Melican, Amartey
Sub: Fox

The outs gave us nothing against Port. Backing Mills to turn things around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back