NAB Challenge - W. Bulldogs v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

In the pre-season coaches try different things too.

Like playing a highly-rated midfielder forward as a loose man in defence, or playing a more attacking gamestyle than normal.

Regardless of the intensity of the game Jack Macrae and Koby Stevens have been pretty good. Pleasing to see our big bodied young midfielders start to have more of an influence.

The best defensive coach in the AFL decides not to play a press or zone in the AFL off season. LOL
Do you base everything you know about football on the uninformed ramblings of Brian Taylor? Your understanding of the press and the zone goes as far as the buzzwords they are, I'm assuming. Maybe your football discussion would be better suited to your local TAB after a few beers, but on the evidence I wouldn't put any bets on if I were you.

Do you base everything you know about football on the uninformed ramblings of Brian Taylor? Your understanding of the press and the zone goes as far as the buzzwords they are, I'm assuming. Maybe your football discussion would be better suited to your local TAB after a few beers, but on the evidence I wouldn't put any bets on if I were you.

Don't get too frustrated with him, it's what he wants.

Are you suggesting Freo are applying the same press and defensive zone or at least something similar to what they use during the season?

Dogs will be better this year. Solid midfield, improved forward line. Only question mark is on their defence, it's a bit shabby.

I was really disappointed in that effort from the dogs. They had almost a full-strength team in, they were playing at home and were building confidence. That performance was reminiscent of some of their early performances in 2013; missed shots at goal, sloppy turnovers, giving away cheap free kicks.... it was ordinary.

I was really disappointed in that effort from the dogs. They had almost a full-strength team in, they were playing at home and were building confidence. That performance was reminiscent of some of their early performances in 2013; missed shots at goal, sloppy turnovers, giving away cheap free kicks.... it was ordinary.

You seem to be one of the only ones who are disappointed, joining a trolling st kilda supporter. Most people who watched the game saw good signs.

Griffen and Murphy make a big difference. As for being reminiscent of early 2013 and your missed shots at goal comment - our problem then was we weren't getting shots on goal.

But looking at your posting record you seem to be another bland troll.

Bit harsh but really they where primed to win that.

Freo were almost full strength as well...

The facts are pretty simple. We've been a bottom 4 team the last 2 years. Freo are a fair few notches above us. It's not surprising to see them come over the top in the end.

We didn't play badly, but certainly not to our best. We were pretty good in the first half.
Inaccuracy was definitely our biggest problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was really disappointed in that effort from the dogs. They had almost a full-strength team in

And on this too, we lost by 28 points. We may have been close to full strength but on the other side of the coin 20 of the players who took the field for Freo played in last year's grand final. Freo's side was just as strong relatively speaking as ours.

Well obviously the Dogs are going to be in for a long season based on that practice match where they were beaten by a team who made the GF last year and had a real crack at it in the 2nd half...that's the only logical conclusion from this practice match.
Indeed, 15th losing to 2nd who ran away with it after a developing 15th put in a good first half calls for panic.

You seem to be one of the only ones who are disappointed, joining a trolling st kilda supporter. Most people who watched the game saw good signs.

Griffen and Murphy make a big difference. As for being reminiscent of early 2013 and your missed shots at goal comment - our problem then was we weren't getting shots on goal.

But looking at your posting record you seem to be another bland troll.
Couldn't give a f*** what you think, I call it as I see it. You weren't impressive, i'm sure your coach wouldn't tolerate that performance. Missing easy shots and turning the ball over won't win you games.

After being in the rebuilding phase for three years now, you should be pushing for the finals. You finished last year with a flurry of strong performances, the victory against Carlton was particularly impressive. If you continue to play like you did tonight for the remainder of the season, you won't make the finals and will struggle to win more than 9 games.

Brutal facts, champ.

And on this too, we lost by 28 points. We may have been close to full strength but on the other side of the coin 20 of the players who took the field for Freo played in last year's grand final. Freo's side was just as strong relatively speaking as ours.
Mate, you can't tolerate mediocrity if you want to get to the top. McCartney would've been fuming at the result tonight - you had more scoring shots and more inside 50's. Just because you played a team that made the Grand Final last year, it doesn't mean you should accept an honest defeat when you wasted chances.

Couldn't give a f*** what you think, I call it as I see it. You weren't impressive, i'm sure your coach wouldn't tolerate that performance. Missing easy shots and turning the ball over won't win you games.

After being in the rebuilding phase for three years now, you should be pushing for the finals. You finished last year with a flurry of strong performances, the victory against Carlton was particularly impressive. If you continue to play like you did tonight for the remainder of the season, you won't make the finals and will struggle to win more than 9 games.

Brutal facts, champ.
This is only McCartneys 3rd season, and it hasn't even started yet. It was a pretty big clean out when he left too, Eade left the list in pretty bad shape trying to go for the flag in 2011. Don't think you can really be expecting finals just yet, were tracking pretty well with how we should be. Were in it for the long haul this time and personally I reckon our list is looking good in a few years, will be starting to expect finals next year.

Besides in the end tonight we were only some bad goal kicking away from beating the grand finalists, and showed a lot of great signs in the first half.

And ... its nab cup...

Facts.

1) Doggies probably trying to emulate Rd 1 more so than Freo as Freo have their structures in place and are getting fitness into players
2) Doggies probably a few weeks more advanced in fitness as pre-season started 3-4 weeks earlier than Freo
3) Doggies had more possessions, inside 50's and scoring shots
4) Doggies missing 2 of their most important players in Griffen and Murphy (as well as Grant)
5) Dockers missing key players like Fyfe, Clarke, Ibbotson, Sylvia
6) Dockers not really interested in the result, Crowley not tagging for much of the game, Mayne sub.
7) Cooney looks impressive and McRae and Stevens showed good signs
8) Dockers key players Sandi, Pav, McPharlin, Walters, Mundy look fit and on track
9) Both sides looked a little rusty, fumbled, missed handballs, missed marks, fluffed kicks
10) There were momentum swings and there were patches were both sides impressed and vice versa

So what can we make of all that? Absolutely ****ing nothing. It's preseason and history has shown that preseason can mean anything. Wait til the real stuff starts.

Did we really find out anything new?

Tonight we had a practice game with one team with a good chance of a consecutive grand final appearance in 2014, playing a rebuilding probable bottom 4 team in 2014 with little skills or polish, are very slow, a dodgy backline, a non existent forward line and a midfield stacked with inside players.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

NAB Challenge - W. Bulldogs v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back