Next out of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne and St Kilda to win a flag?

Who wins a flag before the others?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

None of them. They're all a laughing stock.

Though for the purposes of the discussion, Carlton have the best KPF's out of that lot and have a future gun in Curnow to come back in.

So I'd go Carlton but can't see any of these sides winning a flag in the next 20 years.

Saints would have the best spine of the lot, and that's what really matter in terms of long term prospects. Midfielders are a dime a dozen. You can find a half back flanker anywhere. But good talls are hard to come by.

Max King, Tim Membrey, Josh Battle, Dougal Howard, Callum Wilkie and Rowan Marshall are a pretty good group, and far better than what 3 of the other sides have. Next best would be Carlton who are pretty close behind - TDK looks decent (although way too early to make that call), McKay is great, Weitering is outstanding, with Curnow the only question mark (if fit long term, he's the best of the lot). Each side also has the likes of Clark, Coffield, Gresham, Walsh and Cripps who could all be guns for the next 10 years (obviously Cripps already is).

Essendon haven't won a final since before colour TV. North are looking to do a reset, so I'd rule them out for now since we don't know what that's going to look like. Melbourne are so wildly inconsistent, going from 5th to 17th without any major changes year on year.

My bet is between Saints and Carlton, with Saints ahead for now

ridiculous the notion that any of the mentioned teams will beat Carlton tho their next flag. St Kilda don't know how to win the big games this is proven with a lousy one flag to their name. North are so far off it why even mention them. Essendon are the worst 6000 is coming early next year haha and Melbourne thanks for giving me a laugh...same boat as St Kilda the club has no idea of how to win a big game. Blues will have three to five before any of the mentioned teams get their next one...

Saints would have the best spine of the lot, and that's what really matter in terms of long term prospects. Midfielders are a dime a dozen. You can find a half back flanker anywhere. But good talls are hard to come by.

Max King, Tim Membrey, Josh Battle, Dougal Howard, Callum Wilkie and Rowan Marshall are a pretty good group, and far better than what 3 of the other sides have. Next best would be Carlton who are pretty close behind - TDK looks decent (although way too early to make that call), McKay is great, Weitering is outstanding, with Curnow the only question mark (if fit long term, he's the best of the lot). Each side also has the likes of Clark, Coffield, Gresham, Walsh and Cripps who could all be guns for the next 10 years (obviously Cripps already is).

Essendon haven't won a final since before colour TV. North are looking to do a reset, so I'd rule them out for now since we don't know what that's going to look like. Melbourne are so wildly inconsistent, going from 5th to 17th without any major changes year on year.

My bet is between Saints and Carlton, with Saints ahead for now
HA! best spine, Mckay, Curnow, Cas, Weitering, TDK, Jones destroy all of those mentioned above.

Given we've proven we can build a team to contend in the modern era (three separate successful builds since Carlton last contended in fact), whilst the Saints are the only team from the group to have contended in the past two decades, I would say it would be a pretty safe bet...
Fair

It would be interesting to look back in 5 or 10 years time to see if any of us were near the mark, alas Im sure most of us will forget.

Melbourne will re emerge as a power team again, simply as they are MCG based and will make use of the advantage it provides.

Carlton and St Kilda have both improved this year, the Saints more so and may well win a semi this year.
I think both teams are in the best 10 or so clubs but cannot see a flag any time soon as the gap between also rans and the power
clubs is widening and soon the Hawks and Sydney will emerge and put more competitive pressure on the Blues and Saints again.

North are galant in their past achievements and results, but a flag ? or even the 8.....very doubtful any time soon.

Essendon, nope, nothing at all to indicate a rebirth of this once great club, I think they will weaken further on and off the field and sadly could become a perenial bottom to 6 team. Essendon gave up the homeground MCG advantage as an elite club and have not achieved anything since.

Collingwood, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Richmond, West Coast, Sydney are bracket ONE these 6 teams will rotate the dominance, with the 4 MCG residents winning most GFs because they have a clear home ground advantage.

Brisbane, Adelaide, Geelong, and maybe Port Adelaide are bracket TWO they will fight out a few, but win few flags.

Essendon, Carlton, St Kilda, Bulldogs, Freo, GWS, Gold Coast, and North are bracket THREE none will win a flag under the current system in the next decade.

I hope soon the AFL rotates all Vic clubs through the G equally, then all teams who finish higher play home for all finals and the the GF.

An even competition to see interstate teams who finish highest earn their home town Grand Finals, and the Saints, Blues, Bulldogs
North and Bombers get equal MCG games to Collingwood, Richmond , Hawthorn,and Melbourne.

Then the premierships will be fairly shared by all teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will be living on Mars by time any of these clubs win one.

Elon Musk will be sending ships full of humans to Mars within the next 5-10 years so this call isn't as far fetched as it may seem.

Going off the real ladder for 2020 it goes as follows:

St Kilda (13)
Melbourne (16)
Carlton (22)
Essendon (29)
North Melbourne (34)

The lower the better, single figures equates to a premiership chance this year.
Port Adelaide (3), Geelong (5), Richmond (7).

Dees in the same catagory as saint kildas, north, essendons and carlton lol we're way better than those campaigners.
I actually reckon the Saints supporters should feel hard done by being grouped with the other four rabble teams.

At least St Kilda has contended for premierships this century.

I actually reckon the Saints supporters should feel hard done by being grouped with the other four rabble teams.

So has every other team. And they've been as successful as Melbourne have.

St Kilda - Will challenge as early as next season IMO - Ratten is an awesome coach.
Carlton - Finals needs to be the aim for next year, maybe 2 years post that?
Melbourne - Reckon this squad peaked in 2018. Will hang around the middle of the ladder and decline from there, pending some big list changes
Essendon - Rebuild needed, but should be back in finals contention within a few seasons
North Melbourne - Rebuild needed, will be back in finals contention in 3+ years

Seriously, what is with these threads? Most people can only look as far as now to form their predictions.

For all we know, North could be the club to win another before the others.

When Carlton are challenging next year you'll go missing like you did in the second half of last year, you don't run two ways. We've clearly improved on last year and that's gone straight over your head, you clearly know zilch about football and don't realise that those four rabble teams will get a flag before Collingwood.

if the Dogs and the Tigers dynasty (or even Port and Brisbane being 1 and 2 on the ladder) have taught us anything, these types of threads are fraught with danger.

Been hammering on about it for about 3 years now. Though the dial has moved a little and the list has some hard to fill holes in it.

Essendons biggest problem wasn't the 22 it was fielding. it's been mindset and culture.
This is now coming to the fore. Along with some major gaps in our defence (McKenna retiring, Saad may leave, Hooker/Hurley replacements overdue).
Add to that losing our best key fwd and best small fwd of the past 10 years+ without replacement.
With talk of a disgruntled best midfielder too :)

the list stuff was a distraction to what was really going on.

When Carlton are challenging next year you'll go missing like you did in the second half of last year, you don't run two ways. We've clearly improved on last year and that's gone straight over your head, you clearly know zilch about football and don't realise that those four rabble teams will get a flag before Collingwood.
WTF? Carlton were challenging in the second half of last year?

Strike me, I must have missed that. What exactly were they challenging for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Next out of Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne and St Kilda to win a flag?

Back