Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he'll ever be like Cripps or Judd, got to stick to running rings around players.
Not like Cripps or Judd, but if he becomes as strong as Lochie Neale or Sam Mitchell and can stand up in a tackle better, he'll become more dangerous and effective on the inside, as he'll still be able to exit the way he does but will also use it better when he can't exit.

Sheezel is playing for a bottom 2 team and could compete with daicos for a goat conversation. sheezel is also going to break the B&F record

It's the agility and the hands - and they're linked as he's just able to adjust and line up loose bobbling balls like others can't, but the core strength isn't there to break through or stand up in a tackle so he dumps it forward a bit more than you want and doesn't get as much distance on those dumps as you'd want either. A lot of just how good he can become around stoppage depends on how much he can develop his core strength - it's improved a lot though from year 1.
Is his core strength lacking and has it improved? I don't think we know the answer to either question because ND never puts it to the test. Slightest sign of being tackled he will dispose of the ball more often than not to no one as highlighted by his poor disposal efficiency.

I can understand you may mean in later years, but the amount of vitriol that has been spewed against a 21 year old on this board is unprecedented. I don't think even Cyril used to get this much hate.

Even Jnr at his best had things to work on, every player does. Do you remember the Collingwood game where he had nearly 50 possessions and there was a consensus that he was getting cheap one-twos to inflate his stats? There was a lot of games where Jnr would get criticised for being too selfish and ineffectual. He usually used to shut them up with freakish goals.
Yeah you're targeting the wrong person with this, ask the Pies supporters in here if I've been one of the people trying to throw Daicos under the bus. I was merely pointing out the things to consider when we look at raw statistics, and what will maximise his impact as he progresses. Also the way that teams should use him to best effect. For some reason you've sort of taken it personally as if I'm a Carlton supporter who just called Daicos a squib and you're Peter Daicos ready to deck me. It's odd.

If Daicos puts together 6+ BnFs, 8+ AAs, 5+ seasons winning one of the "Big 3" awards (including a few where he wins at least 2 of them), 400+ goals, 250+ goal assists, 8000+ disposals, tops the all time Brownlow/coaches votes overall tally (given vote inflation) and a handful of excellent finals series then he is batting at the Ablett table. We won't have any idea if we is on track towards this for at least a few more seasons, no matter the head start.

I bet Nick doesn't leave two clubs.

Oh gosh, you're right.

Come to think of it, this is probably why everyone rates the careers of Lockett/Williams/Ablett Senior/Ablett Junior/Judd/Franklin et al so poorly.

Great point and amazing players.

I guess it comes down to personal choice but I would prefer Dunstall over Locket, GAS or Franklin.

Give me a Vossy, Adam Goodes or a Dusty over Diesel and Juddy.

Lethal over Junior?

Yeah you're targeting the wrong person with this, ask the Pies supporters in here if I've been one of the people trying to throw Daicos under the bus. I was merely pointing out the things to consider when we look at raw statistics, and what will maximise his impact as he progresses. Also the way that teams should use him to best effect. For some reason you've sort of taken it personally as if I'm a Carlton supporter who just called Daicos a squib and you're Peter Daicos ready to deck me. It's odd.
All valid stuff imo, carry on 👍

Great point.

Oliver is a shit mark too.

He'll never be the GOAT either.

He's a cm off 1.9 metres, why can't he take a mark? Remember when we had threads in first few seasons when they were saying Oliver was going to be one of the GOAT mids?

Connor Nash is 198cm, and used to play half-forward, guess how many contested marks he's taken this year? I'll save you the time, he hasn't taken any more than ND has.

Also when it comes to contested marks, which you value so HIGHLY, I'd say Nick probably is one of the league leaders in the opposition not taking contested marks from his kicks, when kicking out of congestion, maybe the best.

1. He's a cm off 1.9 metres, why can't he take a mark? Remember when we had threads in first few seasons when they were saying Oliver was going to be one of the GOAT mids?

2. Connor Nash is 198cm, and used to play half-forward, guess how many contested marks he's taken this year? I'll save you the time, he hasn't taken any more than ND has.

3. Also when it comes to contested marks, which you value so HIGHLY, I'd say Nick probably is one of the league leaders in the opposition not taking contested marks from his kicks, when kicking out of congestion, maybe the best.
1. Well, in his first 8 seasons Oliver managed to take a contested mark in every one of them. So in that regard, he looks like Wayne Carey compared to scared little Nick. He's had plates in his hand this year, which probably hasn't helped.

2. Now you're comparing Nicky to a gumby Irishman. FFS.

3. You say, ''Nick probably is one of the league leaders in the opposition not taking contested marks from his kicks''

Don't give me ''probably'', give me the ****ing stats. Since he's moved into the midfield his kicking is shit. As demonstrated by his 57% kicking efficiency. He's learning that midfield is a bit different to his seagull position at half back where he averaged 70%.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since he's moved into the midfield his kicking is shit. As demonstrated by his 57% kicking efficiency. He's learning that midfield is a bit different to his seagull position at half back where he averaged 70%.
57.3% kicking efficiency omg 😲 look at these spuddy names around that mark 😆

Screenshot_20240820-204644_Chrome.jpg

Very low quality analysis 👎

Meek, Taberner, Hind, Jones and King ? :D :D :D :D

Get a Collingwood supporter that does football.
Heeney, Gulden, Bont and Warner

All will be top 10 in the Brownlow

You see, the guys who are under the most pressure tend to have low kicking efficiency, it ain't rocket science 🚀

Heeney, Gulden, Bont and Warner

All will be top 10 in the Brownlow

You see, the guys who are under the most pressure tend to have low kicking efficiency, it ain't rocket science 🚀
You've proved my point without even knowing it.

Under pressure, little Nicky's kicking isn't special !! He's no better than those mentioned and worse than others. It aint rocket science.

I can understand you may mean in later years, but the amount of vitriol that has been spewed against a 21 year old on this board is unprecedented. I don't think even Cyril used to get this much hate.

Even Jnr at his best had things to work on, every player does. Do you remember the Collingwood game where he had nearly 50 possessions and there was a consensus that he was getting cheap one-twos to inflate his stats? There was a lot of games where Jnr would get criticised for being too selfish and ineffectual. He usually used to shut them up with freakish goals.

He also had 53 the year before against the Pies and they lost by 97.

A quick look at footy tables shows 1/10 wins for GAJ for his top 10 possession games.

Nicky D 8/10 wins. Plenty of time to make that 10 though.

You've proved my point without even knowing it.

Under pressure, little Nicky's kicking isn't special !! He's no better than those mentioned and worse than others. It aint rocket science.
Oliver 55.5, Brownlow favourite Cripps 53.1, Viney 50.2

Who are these great kicks you're thinking of who are better than the game's number 1 player N Daicos?

Meek, Taberner, Hind, Jones and King ? :D :D :D :D

Get a Collingwood supporter that does football.
Yeah, so you ignored Heeney, Gulden, Bontempelli and Warner?

Convenient.

It's almost as though the best players in the competition who take on the game with line breaking kicks, usually with multiple players hanging off them, have kicking efficiency percentages in the 50's....

Best part of an effective disposal is it just needs to go to a 50/50 without a direct turnover

I.e. if you mung a punt inside 50 and it’s not marked by anyone that’s effective, but a beautifully weighted kick that is cut off by say a Stewart or Taylor is ineffective

Best part of an effective disposal is it just needs to go to a 50/50 without a direct turnover

I.e. if you mung a punt inside 50 and it’s not marked by anyone that’s effective, but a beautifully weighted kick that is cut off by say a Stewart or Taylor is ineffective
Only if it travels 40 metres or more (hence my tongue in cheek above).

Under 40 metres the target must retain possession, so a 50/50 isn’t good enough. Hence why the midfielders listed above have relatively low %s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back