Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only if it travels 40 metres or more (hence my tongue in cheek above).

Under 40 metres the target must retain possession, so a 50/50 isnā€™t good enough. Hence why the midfielders listed above have relatively low %s.
No I agree with you and knew the specifics, I think itā€™s a silly statistic and itā€™s evidenced by most gun mids having low %

Mate he's the length of the Flemington straight behind Cripps in hard stuff. Keep puffing your chest.
Cripps gets constantly belted because he's slow šŸŒ, while Daics just grabs it and scoots away like lightning šŸŒ© no one can touch him

We're lucky to live in the time of Daics, what a beast šŸ’Ŗ

Cripps gets constantly belted because he's slow šŸŒ, while Daics just grabs it and scoots away like lightning šŸŒ© no one can touch him

We're lucky to live in the time of Daics, what a beast šŸ’Ŗ
Let's wait till the dust settles, I like your posting it's classic shit stirring!

If Daics ends up with two Brownlows or more, I'll concede

Yeah, so you ignored Heeney, Gulden, Bontempelli and Warner?

Convenient.

It's almost as though the best players in the competition who take on the game with line breaking kicks, usually with multiple players hanging off them, have kicking efficiency percentages in the 50's....
So you're finally using arguments I have for years LOL

Little Nicky aint special.

I bet Ablett didn't leave the lights on.
Animated GIF

I'm not here to diminish Daicos: he's had a spectacular start to his career and will go down as one of the best players of his generation.

One thing to consider though:

Comparing raw Brownlow/Coaches vote counts between different eras is misguided. There has been inflation in seasonal tallies for stars over the past 8 or so years, just like there was if you compare the stars of 2008-2014 to the ones from 1992 to 2003.

Daicos may well end up with coaches votes counts higher than any Ablett Junior season this year, just like 2023. I'm not sure how many people actually think Daicos has had two better seasons than anything Ablett produced.

Best to compare raw tallies with players in their prime during the same seasons. Otherwise actual award wins and top 3/5/10 finishes in each award are a better guide if you want to compare say Ablett and Daicos. Just like it would've been the case if you were comparing Ablett to Williams, Buckley or Hird (for awards that existed in both eras).
Interesting thought and makes some sense.

The freakiness of Daicos in terms of Brownlow/AFLCA votes is best appreciated using the metric comparing his season 2 and 3 to the best 2 seasons the established best ever modern players have done in their prime. We cant compare what these players did in their own season 2 and 3 because Daicos just streets them.

Individual votes are not everything in assessing players but they provide a benchmark. What Daicos has done in season 2 and 3 no one comes near reaching them whichever way you chop and dice them.

Out of interest I have a look at the winning totals in the AFLCA votes back to 2006. The inflation isnt really obvious on that measure. What you see in the really standout years the tallys go high e.g Martin 2017, Danger 2016. Here is a list.

2024 Heeney 102 (2 rounds to come)
2023 Butters 109
2022 Miller 98
2021 Oliver 114
2020 Neale (18 game season) 93*
2019 Bont 107
2018 Gawn 97
2017 Martin 122*
2016 Danger 121*
2015 Hanneberry 101
2014 Gray 111
2013 Pendles 96
2012 Cotchin 107
2011 Murphy 94
2010 Swan 114
2009 Ablett 104*
2008 Ablett 92
2007 Ablett 105
2006 Goodes 90

*won Brownlow also

N.B Daicos hasn't yet surpassed Abletts 2 best vote tallys.

Whats interesting is to put Daicos season 2 and 3 together and compare it to the great players from the AFLCA awards and see who has had the best 2 consecutive seasons in their career. Hopefully I have got this right but this is my tally.

Danger 2016-17 239 votes 43 games played
Oliver 2021-22 212 votes 43 games
Daicos 2023-24 198 votes 41 games (2 to come)
Ablett 2007-08 197 votes 40 games
Ablett 2008-09 196 votes 37 games ******
Swan 2010-11 194 votes 43 games
Martin 17-18 193 votes 43 games
Martin 16-17 192 votes 44 games.

****** = wow
Maybe a funny way to look at it but it highlights that his season 2 and 3 rate with the very best 2 season stints put together by any modern mid. Additionally he had the highest votes per game in the AFLCA, Brownlow and Coll B&F last year and lead all awards clearly when he went down with injury late in the season and didn't play again. Without that injury itā€™s a strong likelihood he wins all 3 awards.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't give me ''probably'', give me the ****ing stats. Since he's moved into the midfield his kicking is shit. As demonstrated by his 57% kicking efficiency. He's learning that midfield is a bit different to his seagull position at half back where he averaged 70%.
Hereā€™s a tip Trav. When you come a gutser using a stat you donā€™t understand to support an opinion thatā€™s at odds with what the general footy world believes donā€™t double down.

Just give an oops, say I didnā€™t quite understand where this stat lies as it appears many very skilled top line mids have similar %s and I will need to find some other evidence to support my theory ā€œhis midfield kicking is shitā€. Good luck with by the way.

Doubling down on this bizarre belief is just going to confirm what everyone is already thinking.

No I agree with you and knew the specifics, I think itā€™s a silly statistic and itā€™s evidenced by most gun mids having low %
It's the most useless stat around. If you're a shit kick who plays in defence and aren't trusted to do anything other than long down the line, you end up with a much higher kicking efficiency than Gulden and Daicos.

Notice that no-one is making the claim that any of those others on the list are the GOAT.
No one is claiming Daicos as GOAT. That would be crazy. The thread is asking the question, based on such an unusually good start th his career, could he become the GOAT by career end

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back