Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 160 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 402 71.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder why Nick never gets nominated by his peers as a finalist for MVP? I think last season he didn’t even get nominated as one of the 3 options in his own club. I think it says a lot about his impact.……more sizzle than sausage you’d imagine.
You might want to get your facts right before you keep posting absolute shit and being nothing more then a troll.

He came 2nd in the award last year and 4th this year.

No, I fear you are mistaken. Marcus Bontempelli won MVP in 2023 and 2024. Nick Daicos hasn’t won any yet.
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

Yeah and Nick missed out on the same award and the Brownlow last year after getting injured.

I think Heeney was the best player this year, but that's how it goes.

Probably. Just like Nick probably would have won last year if he hadn’t been injured.

Nothing is a given, Goatie may still have won this year and last or missed both if all top end players never missed a game

The award has plenty of bias, like the Brownlow, it's why I don't rate either, especially in regards to the best player of each year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing is a given, Goatie may still have won this year and last or missed both if all top end players never missed a game

The award has plenty of bias, like the Brownlow, it's why I don't rate either, especially in regards to the best player of each year
Yeah arrow doesn’t rate anything too absolutist, not awards, nor stats, games won or even premierships. Just tends to go with a vague gut feel which is much more reliable.

Yeah arrow doesn’t rate anything too absolutist, not awards, nor stats, games won or even premierships. Just tends to go with a vague gut feel which is much more reliable.
It’s the vibe, man.

I wonder which awards will be seen as legitimate by oppo fans IF Nick ends up winning all of them?

It’ll be like “yeah sure he’s won all the major ones voted by coaches, players, and umpires, but has he won the one voted by the security guards? No? Well that’s the award that actually has merit unlike those other rigged ones”.

Thank goodness he got injured last year and didn’t win AFLPA and Brownlow or we’d already be hearing this line.

I assume you are referencing the bias from your own coach.

The bolded part makes no sense to me. Sure there are limitations to what awards can tell you and you need to use them in that context. Just flat "I dont rate either" means you are ignoring a mass of information and assessment by informed people whose views are worth hearing.

Have a look at the cumulative data and see how closely it correlates with the best players , especially mids in the modern era. Its a waste looking at individual winners as particularly meaningful. Look at vote totals over time and you will see the cream has well and truly risen to the top.

How can you not rate the evidence that GAJ is the absolutel dominant votegetter in the AFLCA since its inception and is most peoples vote as the clear best mid in that time also.

Arr0w I love your posts generally but you must admit Nick is deserving of the win right?

All coaches are a bit biased to their own and it levels out across a season + Nick was in Collingwoods best players regardless of win or loss most weeks so of course he was going to get the lions share from his coach

I am very happy for Nick and would’ve been ok with any of the top three winning it

Further to what I have written above its irrelevent to me that Daicos wins the award this year. Ist past the post in a field of hundreds with this format doesnt particularly seperate you. It's just a nice gong. If Daicos was 2nd or 3rd or 4th it wouldn't change my view of him.

Next step to get a stronger picture is put 2 years together. This is the 2023-24 totals

Daicos 99+117 = 216 43 games
Bont 102+93 = 195 46 games
Neale 91+97 = 188 45 games
Butters 109+78 = 187 46 games
Serong 86+100 = 186 45 games
Gulden 88+86 = 174 46 games
Cripps 60+113 = 173 44 games
Heeney <60+112 = <172 43 games
Merrett 76+80 = 156 45 games
Anderson 76+68 = 144 46 games

Thats the top 10. Heeney was outside the top 20 last year so got <60 votes but I haven't added them up.

If you go to the AFLCA site and look at the top 20 vote getters each year that they list from 2006 these are the best 2 year totals

Danger 16/17 242 votes
Daicos 23/24 216 votes
Martin 16/17 212 votes
Oliver 21/22 212 votes
Ablett 07/08 197 votes, 08/09 196 votes, 12/13 175 votes
Fyfe 14/15 195 votes
Bont 23/24 195 votes
Swan 10/12 194 votes

Pretty much aligns with who have been the absolute peak mids in the game through those year. Judds just back a bit but his real dynamic years were Eagles years and say Pendles/Mitchell/Selwood etc, mids who are all time greats but never the very top of the tree are just a little further back

Stretch it out over more years and it just rates and rates the elite players. Also makes you see 2nd and 3rd year Daicos as extraordinary.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back