swanfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
In a laptop bag.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, LA Lakers
Having attended the qualifying final today, I believe Nick really deserves another chance at AFL level. He wasn't given the opportunity at Port Adelaide and think he could thrive given the correct environment. I would be happy to have him on our list.

He does the team things that go unnoticed and can lay a hard tackle unlike most of our list.

Thoughts ?

What a rabbit you are NTRabbit. Always look at things as simply as possible...

Lower is an amazing footballer, was played out of position at the Power as he was used a small/medium defender, clearly not his position.

Has absolutely carved it up this year for the Redlegs as a tough, inside midfielder. 26 possessions and a goal today, just another day at the office for Nick. Tremendous footballer, thoroughly deserves another crack and I'm confident he'll get it.

I notice on the bigfooty trial run draft they had us drafting Rowntree from the Eagles. I've watched him the last couple weeks and he has been very impressive. He is very good in the middle at getting contested possessions and knows how to find the ball around the ground. He actually reminds me of Josh Francou the way he plays.

Lower is an amazing footballer, was played out of position at the Power as he was used a small/medium defender, clearly not his position.

Has absolutely carved it up this year for the Redlegs as a tough, inside midfielder. 26 possessions and a goal today, just another day at the office for Nick. Tremendous footballer, thoroughly deserves another crack and I'm confident he'll get it.

Correct, Port treated him horribly, never played him in the right position. I'd be happy if the Crows pick Lower up this year. I'd probably pick Myles Sewell first as a mature aged player, but Lower would be next on my list.

Drummond is spot on. Lower is a tough, inside midfielder and Port played him as a small defender. He has been fantastic this year and could very well win the Magarey Medal. I would be happy if the Crows picked him up as a mature aged rookie ala Barlow and Podsiadly.

If every "fantastic" mid twenties footballer in the SANFL who "deserves a crack/another crack after being delisted" was drafted, we'd have enough players to start an AFL reserves league.

People need to accept that players who are delisted, especially those not immediately picked up in the PS or Rookie draft, have been delisted for pretty good reasons, and it's about a one in one million shot to buck the trend from there like Porplyzia did, and those were different circumstances. Certainly not worth a senior pick for, and I'd only rookie list him if we run dry of other potential projects.

if GC don't pick him up in their pre-season op to pick 10 previously listed AFL players then they are not doing their job right. He's a better player than that bloke from North Melbourne that is playing VFL for them now, his name escapes me now, SA kid, wore #4.

edit: Daniel Harris

I still don't believe we have the required toughness to go deep in September. A mature aged, hardnut type like Lower would be pretty handy. I wonder if he would be any good as a tagger as I think its one of the positions where we still have a hole.

Lower has everything except quality finishing. puopolo is only 21 and clearly superior to say Petrenko

It is just extraordinary that Port cut Lower whilst keeping Wade Thompson, M Westhoff, Danny Meyer etc

It is equally extraordinary that they had Puopolo train with them all summer and went for Scott Harding instead with their last pick in the pre season draft

Mind you his work at half forward for West reserves was good

I miss Choco

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually he spent more time playing as a midfielder at AFL level than he did a defender. He spent the last 11 matches of 2008 playing predominantly as a centre square midfield/tagger.

I like him and wish him success, but hes certainly no guarantee to get drafted again. After Ezard won the Magarey last year all we heard was 'how stupid were Port?', 'He'll be picked up for sure' and it never happened. There have been a number of very good state league players with more skill than Nick to not get a look in (Powell and Clayton are two for example) and a couple of others that did get a look in and looked out of their depth. Id rate Bryce Campbell a better player than Nick and he struggled.

Good luck to him and I hope someone gives him a go, but I still think his deficiencies are such that will see him still have a hard time making a name for himself at AFL level.

Lower has everything except quality finishing. puopolo is only 21 and clearly superior to say Petrenko

It is just extraordinary that Port cut Lower whilst keeping Wade Thompson, M Westhoff, Danny Meyer etc

It is equally extraordinary that they had Puopolo train with them all summer and went for Scott Harding instead with their last pick in the pre season draft

Mind you his work at half forward for West reserves was good

I miss Choco

I like Puopolo as a player, but you dont think his height (175cm) sets him back for the role he'd play at AFL level. Arent many 175cm players around. Crows had what...7-8 chances to pick him up at some stage or another and are screaming for pace and didnt bother either.

if GC don't pick him up in their pre-season op to pick 10 previously listed AFL players then they are not doing their job right. He's a better player than that bloke from North Melbourne that is playing VFL for them now, his name escapes me now, SA kid, wore #4.

edit: Daniel Harris

I think they picked Harris just to have that tough body that can take the knocks as the extractor and give some of the other kids a bit more time to develop physically over this season. He is not guaranteed a contract going into next year.

Depending on what kind of mids they pinch they might not need either. If they get Ablett and have Risky Telly and will have David Swallow, they probably just need one quality genuine inside mid and they probably wont need a B grader.

I like Puopolo as a player, but you dont think his height (175cm) sets him back for the role he'd play at AFL level. Arent many 175cm players around. Crows had what...7-8 chances to pick him up at some stage or another and are screaming for pace and didnt bother either.

I don't think height a big issue Macca he has a good leap. quick and superb balance/strength are big assets

I wish we had picked him up, he's better than many of ours too. Just found it strange that Port identified him and then didn't take up. That Scott Harding pick up was so strange. He is a B grader and you have so many of his type anyway.

Can't agree Campbell better than Lower, Lowers strength, marking and hard ball winning ability is exceptional. He reminds me of Stenglein who played a similar role at the Crows ( ordinary kick as well)

Reckon Lower has developed since you cut him. Think he'll get another chance. If he doesn't improve his foot skills he will be marginal again though

We need outside midfielders and Nick is an inside midfielder. Someone like Jarrad Ollmond would suit us more. I think Brady Dawes would be a good pick up.

Actually he spent more time playing as a midfielder at AFL level than he did a defender. He spent the last 11 matches of 2008 playing predominantly as a centre square midfield/tagger.

I like him and wish him success, but hes certainly no guarantee to get drafted again. After Ezard won the Magarey last year all we heard was 'how stupid were Port?', 'He'll be picked up for sure' and it never happened. There have been a number of very good state league players with more skill than Nick to not get a look in (Powell and Clayton are two for example) and a couple of others that did get a look in and looked out of their depth. Id rate Bryce Campbell a better player than Nick and he struggled.

Good luck to him and I hope someone gives him a go, but I still think his deficiencies are such that will see him still have a hard time making a name for himself at AFL level.
C'mon mate, Ezard is slow, short and his disposal isn't overly damaging. Lower is 187cm, quick, and generally has good disposal.

You're just blinded by the fact you delisted him, and deep down don't want someone you tossed aside to make it. He's a quality, quality footballer, a lot better than many guys who get regular games. What are his deficiencies exactly? Sometimes his disposal lets him down, as does his decision making, but the more he plays on the ball the better he plays and the less mistakes he makes, plays more instinctive football. I've been critical of his turnovers and brain fades in the past, but there's barely even an issue any more. Besides, for every 25 possessions he gathers, you're excused for 2 or 3 clangers.

Can't fault his tenacity and endeavour, but his kicking isn't up to AFL standard. Can get away with it at SANFL level, but it'd get exposed in the faster more open game style of the AFL

Wouldn't be against a late rookie pick being thrown at him. We'll have plenty to go around, may as well pick him up.

Besides, we might get some intellectual property about Port from him :p

Both Lower boys are good honest players but am not sure clubs need to look for and stick honest players on an AFL list, a lot of hopeful stars will end up good honest players.

Rookies are good for taking a punt on a potential star who will need development.

I think there is a lot of quality running around in the state leagues. Someone like Isaac Smith who plays with out affiliate North Ballarat. I think he could be the next Barlow type but clubs need to take the punt on these kind of guys.

I don't think height a big issue Macca he has a good leap. quick and superb balance/strength are big assets

I wish we had picked him up, he's better than many of ours too. Just found it strange that Port identified him and then didn't take up. That Scott Harding pick up was so strange. He is a B grader and you have so many of his type anyway.

Well you cant take everyone. Goldsworthy and Allmond look ok, and Alex Carey trained with us as well. We went with Hitchcock from the train-on SANFL players and you'd have to say he looks alright at this point.

I understand why we picked Harding, and why we kept Thompson. It was about getting pace into a sluggish line up. Unfortunately for us, they'd have just as much luck finding the football on a sprint track than they do on a football field.

Drummond said:
You're just blinded by the fact you delisted him, and deep down don't want someone you tossed aside to make it.

I couldnt care less about that. I was a big fan of Lower when on our list and wanted Port to keep him, but hey, he played excellent at SANFL level last year, got his chance 3-4 times at AFL level and couldnt cut it. Again, playing in the midfield. Too slow to dispose and not accurate enough with his disposal. These were major faults at AFL level. I could just as easily say you are blinded by the fact hes a Redleg! I agree hes a quality SANFL player, but theres been plenty of those around that never went on with it. And as I said, weve heard the 'stupid Port, that will bite them on the arse' the last two years with Ezard and Thomson. Ezard didnt get looked at and Thomson still isnt over that alleged 'fake' injury that Choco supposedly told him he had.

If he gets a go then good on him and I hope he makes the most of it.

I think if he wins the Magarey Medal and is given another opportunity at AFL level, Nick will make the best of it.

I may not be an astute judge like many on this board.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nick Lower

Remove this Banner Ad

Back