No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin an absolute superstar, but just can’t help but feel he’s taken the piss this year. Out with injury but can fly to NZ…

I guess in Richmond supporter eyes he can do whatever he likes, but I’d be pretty disappointed for how it’s played out.
So you’d be pretty disappointed if Bont carried us to 3 flags and 2 Norm Smith medals. And at age 33, when all his premiership teammates and coach have dropped off. And is currently languishing at the bottom. Has decided to pull the pin early?

We wouldn’t give a shit if he did that.

Martin an absolute superstar, but just can’t help but feel he’s taken the piss this year. Out with injury but can fly to NZ…

I guess in Richmond supporter eyes he can do whatever he likes, but I’d be pretty disappointed for how it’s played out.

So you’d be pretty disappointed if Bont carried us to 3 flags and 2 Norm Smith medals. And at age 33, when all his premiership teammates and coach have dropped off. And is currently languishing at the bottom. Has decided to pull the pin early?

He’s looked disinterested. I thought he’d retired on Saturday morning judging by his efforts against North.

Pretty amazing career from Dusty. Think he made the right decision retiring as a one club player rather than try and salvage another season at Gold Coast.

Will almost certainly go down as the greatest finals player of all time. They won 10 finals between 2017 and 2020 and Martin was probably BOG or in the top 3 for all 10 of those wins. Quite extraordinary, 2020 GF was probably his greatest game. Single handedly won them that game after being 4 goals down in the second quarter.

2016, 2017, 2018 were his best home and away seasons. I think after 2018 when he was a bit banged up in the finals, he started half assing the first part of seasons and then sort of kicked up the gears after the byes to prime himself for finals.

I’ll be disappointed if Bont retires ever

Tom Hawkins picked a bad day to retire.

Another pretty incredible career. Obviously he had that breakout game in the 2011 GF (which was like a precursor for Tom Boyd in 2016) and then dominated 2012. But his career sort of stagnated for the next few years as he had back injuries and it looked like he might never get back to his peak.

Got back to his best in 2018 and had a pretty remarkable period after that. 4 All Australians (and one additional time in the squad of 40), 1 Coleman and 1 Premiership between 2018 and 2022. Would never imagined that a guy carrying 110+ kg for the majority of his career could have such longevity. Hopefully he gets back on the park and doesn’t retire with an injury but I wish Geelong no success this season.

Tom Hawkins picked a bad day to retire.

Another pretty incredible career. Obviously he had that breakout game in the 2011 GF (which was like a precursor for Tom Boyd in 2016) and then dominated 2012. But his career sort of stagnated for the next few years as he had back injuries and it looked like he might never get back to his peak.

Got back to his best in 2018 and had a pretty remarkable period after that. 4 All Australians (and one additional time in the squad of 40), 1 Coleman and 1 Premiership between 2018 and 2022. Would never imagined that a guy carrying 110+ kg for the majority of his career could have such longevity. Hopefully he gets back on the park and doesn’t retire with an injury but I wish Geelong no success this season.
Hawkins' form over his career correlated strongly with his body fat percentage.
His lean years were outstanding, his fatter years ok. that he couldnt maintain optimal body fat over his career leaves a 'what if' question mark on his career, as good as it was.

If this was the 1970s, Dusty would have a run with Port Melbourne next year, and Porkins would be appointed captain-coach of Geelong West in the middle of Mad Monday...
Don't know where Porkins would fit in at 70s Geelong West, cos there's no way he's pushing Joe Radojevic out of full forward.

As good Tomahawk was around goal, I'd argue he was equally as deadly as a part time forward ruck.

I reckon he would offer A LOT as a forward coach and mentor. Imagine him teaching Tim some tools of the trade to out position and overpower the opposition ruck at forward stoppages.

Hawkins' form over his career correlated strongly with his body fat percentage.
His lean years were outstanding, his fatter years ok. that he couldnt maintain optimal body fat over his career leaves a 'what if' question mark on his career, as good as it was.
He's 4 goals away from kicking 800 in his career, think he's exceeded all expectations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's 4 goals away from kicking 800 in his career, think he's exceeded all expectations.

I'm 800 away from 800 AFL career goals! 😄

But I reckon I racked up 20 or so in the EDFL across juniors and seniors. And as someone who played ruck and KPD in juniors, then mainly HB and the occasional onball tagging role in the seniors, I exceeded all my expectations on that front too. Although I did have a Bulldogs-like year in u17s - think my forays forward netted something like 2.15 for the season (and one of those goals was awarded by a mate acting as goal umpire, probably went through closer to the behind post than the goal post! 🤫)

Has anyone noticed how unusual the round 22 fixture is?

The first four matches this round are all interstate. Has that ever happened in a traditional season?

The two matches on Saturday night are at the MCG and Marvel and then there are the two early games on Sunday also being played at the MCG and Marvel.

Yep. That’s clearly what I said.

Phoning in a year and being “injured” but flying to NZ and playing golf is piss poor. Don’t care who you are.

Yep. That’s clearly what I said.

Phoning in a year and being “injured” but flying to NZ and playing golf is piss poor. Don’t care who you are.
It’s not that big of a deal.

His teammates have also tapped out for the year.

Thank god nobody else on the planet is as miserable as you are and trying to view him in a negative light in what should be a celebration of one of the games greatest ever.

18th on the ladder and instead of celebrating arguably the greatest player in the clubs history I’ll take a stand and be angry because he’s checked out in the middle of his 16th season of AFL footy even though he won us 3 premiership’s.

IMG_4310.jpeg

Morris reporting Saints in Talks with Tarryn Thomas. No words.

Morris reporting Saints in Talks with Tarryn Thomas. No words.

It surely won’t happen, and can’t happen.

But if it does, I’m going to buy a Saints membership so that I can cancel it.

Pretty amazing career from Dusty. Think he made the right decision retiring as a one club player rather than try and salvage another season at Gold Coast.

Will almost certainly go down as the greatest finals player of all time. They won 10 finals between 2017 and 2020 and Martin was probably BOG or in the top 3 for all 10 of those wins. Quite extraordinary, 2020 GF was probably his greatest game. Single handedly won them that game after being 4 goals down in the second quarter.

2016, 2017, 2018 were his best home and away seasons. I think after 2018 when he was a bit banged up in the finals, he started half assing the first part of seasons and then sort of kicked up the gears after the byes to prime himself for finals.
AFL
The remarkable numbers and stats of Dustin Martin’s career
By SEN 5 hours ago

Champion Data has celebrated the great Dustin Martin.

The Richmond star announced his retirement from the game on Tuesday after 15 years and 302 games.

Below are some of the remarkable stats ‘Dusty’ delivered since making his debut in 2010.

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne also delved deep into Martin’s unbelievable finals record on SEN’s Sportsday.

See the stats tidbits below:

69 times he had 20+ disposals and 2+ goals. That is 10 times more than any other player over the last 15 years. Gary Ablett is next on 59 and Patrick Dangerfield on 58. That’s a significant gap with two walk-up Hall of Famers.

The broken tackle stat started the year Dusty came into the competition. He’s had 377 broken tackles over a 15-year campaign. The next most is Jack Viney on 213. That’s 164 more than any other player.

He’s won 49 per cent of one on one contests. The next highest player is 42 per cent being Nat Fyfe, then Dangerfield at 41. It is outrageous how much better a one on one player he has been over a 15-year career. The average is 25 per cent.

Then you look at what he does when he’s been a target inside forward 50. When Richmond have gone to him, they’ve scored a goal 30 per cent of the time. No other player has done that in 15 years. He’s been the best forward 50 target in 15 years. The average is around about 18 per cent.

Our AFL Player Ratings ironically started the year Dusty came in. He was the No.1 rated player on the ground for five consecutive matches from the 2020 finals series into 2021. Only Dangerfield has done that for five consecutive matches.

His 2017 Grand Final is the second highest rated Grand Final of all-time. Luke Shuey’s 2018 Grand Final is miles ahead of anyone else, Dusty comes in at No.2. The rating was 30. If you get a 15 rated game, that’s an All-Australian type game. If you get a 20, it’s wow. If you get a 30 then you just go back and watch that performance over and over and over.

His 2020 Grand Final comes up as the sixth best Grand Final. Keep in mind that is with shortened quarters. If you extrapolate that out to a full game then it comes out as the second best Grand Final as a 32 rated game.

His 2019 Grand Final comes out as the 12th best Grand Final.

Overall he has been the No.1 rated player on the ground six times from 16 finals. No other player has done that.

Dusty’s Finals Ratings
His ratings in the 12 finals between 2017 and 2020 where Dusty was in his prime. He had one poor final out of 12 and that was the night when he couldn’t walk against Collingwood in the 2018 Prelim where they admitted afterwards that he probably shouldn’t have played.

His Qualifying Final in 2017 he was 2nd highest. Prelim in 2017 against GWS he was 6th. Grand Final in 2017 he was No.1.

2018 Qualifying Final he was 1. 2018 Prelim, throw that in the bin.

2019 Qualifying Final he kicked six goals against Brisbane, 3rd highest player. 2019 Prelim against Geelong he was 11th. Grand Final day he was No.1.

2020 Qualifying Final against Brisbane, they lost, he was 9th. This is the best - they’re in a bit of trouble, they’ve lost their first final, he wakes up and goes No.1 in the Semi, No.1 in the Prelim and No.1 in the Grand Final. He went whack, whack, whack and brought home a flag.

The 20-plus rating which is the wow factor, he has done that eight times in finals. The next most is five - Josh Kennedy, Joel Selwood and Dangerfield. He’s miles ahead.

The three years they won a flag in 2017, 2019 & 2020 - in each of those Prelims and each of those Grand Finals, he’s had 20+ disposals and 2+ goals.

AFL
The remarkable numbers and stats of Dustin Martin’s career
By SEN 5 hours ago

Champion Data has celebrated the great Dustin Martin.

The Richmond star announced his retirement from the game on Tuesday after 15 years and 302 games.

Below are some of the remarkable stats ‘Dusty’ delivered since making his debut in 2010.

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne also delved deep into Martin’s unbelievable finals record on SEN’s Sportsday.

See the stats tidbits below:

69 times he had 20+ disposals and 2+ goals. That is 10 times more than any other player over the last 15 years. Gary Ablett is next on 59 and Patrick Dangerfield on 58. That’s a significant gap with two walk-up Hall of Famers.

The broken tackle stat started the year Dusty came into the competition. He’s had 377 broken tackles over a 15-year campaign. The next most is Jack Viney on 213. That’s 164 more than any other player.

He’s won 49 per cent of one on one contests. The next highest player is 42 per cent being Nat Fyfe, then Dangerfield at 41. It is outrageous how much better a one on one player he has been over a 15-year career. The average is 25 per cent.

Then you look at what he does when he’s been a target inside forward 50. When Richmond have gone to him, they’ve scored a goal 30 per cent of the time. No other player has done that in 15 years. He’s been the best forward 50 target in 15 years. The average is around about 18 per cent.

Our AFL Player Ratings ironically started the year Dusty came in. He was the No.1 rated player on the ground for five consecutive matches from the 2020 finals series into 2021. Only Dangerfield has done that for five consecutive matches.

His 2017 Grand Final is the second highest rated Grand Final of all-time. Luke Shuey’s 2018 Grand Final is miles ahead of anyone else, Dusty comes in at No.2. The rating was 30. If you get a 15 rated game, that’s an All-Australian type game. If you get a 20, it’s wow. If you get a 30 then you just go back and watch that performance over and over and over.

His 2020 Grand Final comes up as the sixth best Grand Final. Keep in mind that is with shortened quarters. If you extrapolate that out to a full game then it comes out as the second best Grand Final as a 32 rated game.

His 2019 Grand Final comes out as the 12th best Grand Final.

Overall he has been the No.1 rated player on the ground six times from 16 finals. No other player has done that.

Dusty’s Finals Ratings
His ratings in the 12 finals between 2017 and 2020 where Dusty was in his prime. He had one poor final out of 12 and that was the night when he couldn’t walk against Collingwood in the 2018 Prelim where they admitted afterwards that he probably shouldn’t have played.

His Qualifying Final in 2017 he was 2nd highest. Prelim in 2017 against GWS he was 6th. Grand Final in 2017 he was No.1.

2018 Qualifying Final he was 1. 2018 Prelim, throw that in the bin.

2019 Qualifying Final he kicked six goals against Brisbane, 3rd highest player. 2019 Prelim against Geelong he was 11th. Grand Final day he was No.1.

2020 Qualifying Final against Brisbane, they lost, he was 9th. This is the best - they’re in a bit of trouble, they’ve lost their first final, he wakes up and goes No.1 in the Semi, No.1 in the Prelim and No.1 in the Grand Final. He went whack, whack, whack and brought home a flag.

The 20-plus rating which is the wow factor, he has done that eight times in finals. The next most is five - Josh Kennedy, Joel Selwood and Dangerfield. He’s miles ahead.

The three years they won a flag in 2017, 2019 & 2020 - in each of those Prelims and each of those Grand Finals, he’s had 20+ disposals and 2+ goals.
It will be interesting to see how highly regarded he is long-term. I always viewed him as an elite finals (not just GFs) and big-game performer but he "only" has the 4 x All-Australian's (Ablett Jnr, Danger, Buddy have double, Bont will get his 6th this year), 2 x B&Fs, 1 x AFLPA MVP, 1 x AFLCA MVP. It's great to see some some analysis not only focussed on his finals performances - his 20+/2+ record and one-on-one contest wins stats versus the next best are wild.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back