No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I once sat at a cafe overhearing what I figured out to be two different player managers.

Something that completely slipped my mind in the post-game euphoria, but last round at Mars, we had a couple of guys sitting behind us who were obviously GWS recruiters/oppo observers. Pre-game they were discussing how we would set up, went into depth about how critical Richards would be, how he moves through and around traffic at ruck contests. They knew Giants players intimately, describing how they set up at contests, that Green had struggled with his kicking in the back half of the season due to a mystery injury. Funnily enough one if them described Naughton as "over-rated" but in the same breath said Darcy is almost unstoppable already. I was trying to watch the game and talk to my fellow attendees, but their insight was fascinating. Have no idea who they are, and they left a few mins before the end, but they knew all about the orange players, and most of ours. Two of them kept stirring the third one, calling Lobb 'your boy' suggesting this guy had identified him to be recruited.

Been sitting on this one for a few days, and only posting it without any specific details of the subject to show how easy it is sometimes to get pseudo-ITK info without even trying.

On Tuesday I was in Melbourne for an appt, then took the opportunity to catch up with a mate for coffee mid-arvo in an inner north cafe/eatery (a bit eclectic but nice setting).

Not many patrons, but we happened to sit a few tables away from what turned out to be a reasonably accomplished AFL player (not top tier, but not far off), with what eventually became clear was one of his parents and a sibling. As my mate and I talked, the conversation at the other table was mostly inaudible apart from an odd word here or there.

After 15mins or so, my mate took a family call and had to leave, so I sat for a few more mins finishing my caffeine fix, and idly checked my phone.

Suddenly with no mate to speak to, the establishment's acoustics came into play, and I was hearing the other table's convo very clearly. Nothing of any great importance, and ethically I won't share specifics here anyway, plus it's not really relevant to BF on either our board or even the player's club board. Basically there was some family chatter, and brief mention of a team-mate's extra-curricular activities (which elicited some disgust from the parent, and laughter from the sibling, but I missed a couple of key words as a staff member cleared another table! So I can't share it even if I wanted to!)

I was also actually getting embarrassed by then at inadvertently eavesdropping, and left shortly after, having to walk closer to their table as I did, but avoided eye contact and just walked out the door.

Now nothing I heard was of any great significance. But if I'd lingered longer, who knows? And they appeared completely oblivious to the fact I was hearing it like I was sitting amongst them. They weren't even speaking loudly. Lucky I'm not some 'journo'/germalist - I could try and fill in the words I missed and create a story out of nothing about the team mate!

Anyway, not even sure why I posted now, and far longer post than I intended. Should I have said anything to them as I left? (But I might go to the same place next time I'm in Melbourne though... who knows who I might see or what I might hear! 😲)

Edit: re-reading it, it reads like a lengthy post about nothing. I wonder if there's a sitcom in it... 🤔

Needs more dragons

Hoping for a Port win tonight, but tipped Sydney. I was wrong with both tips last week, so hoping the same happens tonight.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Think Swans will win but think this is a good situation for Port. No expectations on them tonight which is probably good as they've struggled in recent finals when they've come in favourites, playing against a team they've beaten the last 8 times (2016 last time Sydney won) and won the most recent one by 112

How in the hell is Charlie Dixon playing in this match?

He looks barely EDFL standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That play from the swans is exactly how we should play.

Quick long kick out to our talks who should not get out marked then break forward quickly.

Gonna tell my kids this was Zak Butters

Attachments

• IMG_8963.jpeg
    IMG_8963.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 16
I cannot believe Port went in with Dixon. He’s an absolute liability, they’re effectively playing one man short

Body has completely broken down, his game in the QF final was dreadful. I know Marshall is out with concussion but a brave call to think Dixon will offer anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back