Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting point when it comes to all the talk around us being 'dad's army' and 'Port going to the draft and playing youth' - they've got a fair few oldies themselves.

All these players will be 30 or over next year/retiring now:

Gray - 33
Westhoff 34 (retiring)
Jonas 30
Motlop 30
Rockliff 31
Ebert 30 (retiring)
Boak 33
Hartlett 31
Dixon 30

That's a fair chunk of talent

Not sure on the figures myself.

Motlop has pretty pronounced weaknesses but he is also capable of generating goals whether off his own boot or through a deft assist - he's generally good in transition too in my admittedly vague observation; he can be creative when he is ''on'' no doubt.

Miers probably the better endurance athlete, but I've seen Motlop kick a set shot banana after the siren clean through the goals; bloke has skill.

Miers has a huge opportunity to build a finals reputation tomorrow night.

Your comment on Miers is pretty harsh IMO...the kid runs his guts out week in week out, and he's a goal kicker. Still learning, and making mistakes, but you persevere with guys like him and reap rewards down the track. To top it off, he's durable...a trait we can always do with.

Yes, down a little from last year..not surprising for a 2nd year player though. I hope he plays his role, snags a goal or two and soaks up the experience. He's playing a tough position, and has shown enough to think he'll be top 22 next season.

Player Totals for Season 2020
PlayerMTKAvgHAvgDAvgMAvgHOAvgTAvgFFFAGAvgBSCRatAvg
Gryan Miers191698.9884.625713.5854.500281.5108170.94106114260.1
Steven Motlop14835.9654.614810.6332.400241.7411130.928062544.6

I know Martin had a bit of the ball than in the above tweet, but rings true & it's the easy option

Especially when you consider the game Nankervus had

I thought Dusty was best on. But I never go by possessions or anything. Just thought he was the main point of difference between the 2 teams.

Would be nice to win, of course... but faith? I don't see why you would. Brisbane are undoubtedly nearly unbackable favourites to win tomorrow. From whatever angle you look at it, the chances of Geelong winning are very slim. There's a difference between wanting your side to win, hoping they perform, and being realistic about their actual prospects. I would like to see Geelong win tomorrow night; I very much doubt it will happen. So many of the variables tip the outcome likely going Brisbane's way.
You’d suck the colour out of a rainbow.

Slim chances from every angle? I’m not sure you even believe that as it is 100% factually incorrect.

How good is Luke Hodge in the special comments - he is brilliant - adds to the coverage

When Martin took that mark - when the Port bloke pannicked a bit - he explained exactly what he should have done

And if there was a ball up within the vicinity of the goals - he would tell you what the respective defences had to do - and watch out for - adds to the excitement

Outstanding - he is top class -i hope he stays in the media ( and doesnt go coaching ) because he is that good at it

Bugger that. I hope he comes to coach for us!

How good is Luke Hodge in the special comments - he is brilliant - adds to the coverage

When Martin took that mark - when the Port bloke pannicked a bit - he explained exactly what he should have done

And if there was a ball up within the vicinity of the goals - he would tell you what the respective defences had to do - and watch out for - adds to the excitement

Outstanding - he is top class -i hope he stays in the media ( and doesnt go coaching ) because he is that good at it
The best special comments guys are the recently retired vets - they know their stuff. Special comments guys have a limited shelf life - they should be turned over every 4-5 years, before they go stale.

agree

Your comment on Miers is pretty harsh IMO...the kid runs his guts out week in week out, and he's a goal kicker. Still learning, and making mistakes, but you persevere with guys like him and reap rewards down the track. To top it off, he's durable...a trait we can always do with.

Yes, down a little from last year..not surprising for a 2nd year player though. I hope he plays his role, snags a goal or two and soaks up the experience. He's playing a tough position, and has shown enough to think he'll be top 22 next season.

Player Totals for Season 2020
PlayerMTKAvgHAvgDAvgMAvgHOAvgTAvgFFFAGAvgBSCRatAvg
Gryan Miers191698.9884.625713.5854.500281.5108170.94106114260.1
Steven Motlop14835.9654.614810.6332.400241.7411130.928062544.6

honestly can't see how my post was 'harsh' on Miers at all, DtC - comparing him to Motlop? I rate Motlop pretty highly.

agree Miers endurance and stamina are huge strings to his bow, and also agree that the small forward role is a tough gig come Finals, and of course I hope he contributes strongly tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting point when it comes to all the talk around us being 'dad's army' and 'Port going to the draft and playing youth' - they've got a fair few oldies themselves.

Gray - 33
Westhoff 34 (retiring)
Jonas 30
Motlop 30
Rockliff 31
Ebert 30 (retiring)
Boak 33
Hartlett 31
Dixon 30

Yeah Port's list is/was in the sweet spot this season. Of their good midfielders only Wines is young. They're still well set up with a good young core but they're not quite where us and St Kilda were say in ~2004. It may end up looking like a missed opportunity for them but I think they'll have another shot next season and even when those players age out they'll only be a couple of good recruits away from having a very good team at worst.

Actually their list profile is almost like us in 2010 to an extent, with Selwood, Hawkins, Taylor, Duncan as gun young players who'll be around for 10 years. So if they don't get the flag this year or next they'll be decent but might need to recruit a Dangerfield to experience the glory of many prelim final losses in a row :p

Gray - 33
Westhoff 34 (retiring)
Jonas 30
Motlop 30
Rockliff 31
Ebert 30 (retiring)
Boak 33
Hartlett 31
Dixon 30

The line between 'old teams' and 'young teams' is generally pretty fine, and definitely overstated.

All teams have their veterans, all teams have their kids. And the difference in overall composition is very rarely more than a few players.

The line between 'old teams' and 'young teams' is generally pretty fine, and definitely overstated.

All teams have their veterans, all teams have their kids. And the difference in overall composition is very rarely more than a few players.

Well the average age of their 22 is two years younger than ours. it's not that they're young we're bloody old.

I suspect that the increased willingness to trade players and recycle what would have previously been delist bait has increase the average age of players in competition compared to 10 years ago.

Well the average age of their 22 is two years younger than ours. it's not that they're young we're bloody old.

I suspect that the increased willingness to trade players and recycle what would have previously been delist bait has increase the average age of players in competition compared to 10 years ago.

That's part of it, but also older players are able to sustain performance at a higher level than used to be possible. Rehab, injury management, etc. are all improved too.

If Ablett and Taylor do in fact finish up at the end of the year it could be a pretty significant drop in the average age of our team. Not that I'm particularly fond of average age as a measure tbh.

Thought Port last night looked like us against Port the other week.

They had a clear ascendancy V Richmond in the first half, they were moving the ball easily forward but their delivery completely let them down.

Port should have been 3 or 4 goals up at either break, and yet only up by 2 at quarter time and scores level at half time.

Completely on the inexperience of their younger players, and poor decision making of their older players.

Also doesn't help that Dixon has been in bad form for a good month or so.

That's part of it, but also older players are able to sustain performance at a higher level than used to be possible. Rehab, injury management, etc. are all improved too.

If Ablett and Taylor do in fact finish up at the end of the year it could be a pretty significant drop in the average age of our team. Not that I'm particularly fond of average age as a measure tbh.

Median doesn't make our team seem any younger, Our will be in the mid 28s round 1 next year even without Ablett and Taylor.

I knew Port wouldn't win that game - been calling it for weeks now. The difference in finals is how many players you have who can be counted on to do the right thing when the pressure is paramount and the season is on the line. Richmond have Dusty, Grimes, Houli, Astbury and a few smalls up forward who don't go missing in big games. Port have almost none of those players. Gray and Boak are exceptional players, but when everything is on the line, they've just never delivered. One of Port's strongest suits are their youngsters, but the inexperienced types rarely win you the big games.

I think either Brisbane or Geelong could challenge the Tigers in a premiership, but it's unlikely either team gets over them in the final dance. They're too good at executing their rubbish gameplan, and their rubbish gameplan holds up better than any other under pressure, because it doesn't rely on exceptional skill. That game last night was the ugliest game I can remember watching all season. Richmond suck you down to their putrid level and then do a better job of it once you're down there. It's gross football. So much worse than the St Kilda / Sydney / WC flood. I really hope the AFL makes some adjustments to force them to play a better brand. A proper adjudication of HTB as well as reducing numbers on-field would probably do the trick.

I thought Dusty was best on. But I never go by possessions or anything. Just thought he was the main point of difference between the 2 teams.
Really surprised me Ken didn't put a lock on him. Both when in the midfield and forward. He was the one player who was clean by both hand and foot in slippery conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back