Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2023, part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ginnivan is the worst ducker in afl history…or perhaps on par with Lindsay Thomas. He just can’t help himself to hit the deck when tackled. Not sure how the umpires didn’t pay a 50 against him in the last minute for the time wasting.

Not helped by the sub syndrome. Warming the pine so long and then wants to cover himself in glory, above his limitations so cheat reverts. Absolutely should have been 50m against, but it's put away the whistle time.

That i50 pass to a nest let him down, I just said where was the game ending goal he kicked against us instead of that panicked attack?

Yeah that was unfortunate in the context of his game for sure. Regardless, I thought he was BOG tonight in a losing cause.

Why are they staring at straight sets - had a hell of alot of the ball tonight - did everything but win

Blues have to get past the Swans 1st - Carlton in their final game against GWS - Played like we played against Stk - beyond shocking

I think Melb are a certainty next week - whoever they play

Melbourne did do everything but win. They looked pretty one-dimensional for large stretches tonight, but when you have the ability of Gawn and Petracca to clear the ball from stoppages (with Oliver looking increasingly settled as the night wore on) then you're a chance.

Still; Sydney beat them in a final this time last year, Carlton beat Melbourne in a close one just a couple of weeks ago.

Melbourne have some weapons, but I don't think their 23 is particularly deep talent-wise. They're vulnerable.

Last edited:
Ginnivan is the worst ducker in afl history…or perhaps on par with Lindsay Thomas. He just can’t help himself to hit the deck when tackled. Not sure how the umpires didn’t pay a 50 against him in the last minute for the time wasting.

Doggies keen on him

Yeah that was unfortunate in the context of his game for sure. Regardless, I thought he was BOG tonight in a losing cause.

Melbourne did do everything but win. The looked pretty one-dimensional for large stretches tonight, but when you have the ability of Gawn and Petracca to clear the ball from stoppages (with Oliver looking increasingly settled as the night wore on) then you're a chance.

Still; Sydney beat them in a final this time last year, Carlton beat Melbourne in a close one just a couple of weeks ago.

Melbourne have some weapons, but I don't think their 23 is particularly deep talent-wise. They're vulnerable.
Their forward line is trash and lacks structure. With their defense and midfield they should be premiership faves.

And they had their forwardline operating sweet but then Petty got injured.

Yep- dees should have won- didn’t take their chances. Pies didn’t have many chances, but took them.
Pies not the team they were earlier in the year, or even last year.

Pies also have an old list, up there with us. Don’t win it this year and I can’t see them winning one with their current list.

I think I want Port to win the premiership... Can't be having Collingwood or Melbourne winning.

I’m definitely on the Port bandwagon. Hard to see anyone halting Collingwood’s momentum at this stage though unfortunately - Brisbane best positioned to challenge; I’m not much of a fan of theirs either though tbh…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a more overrated footballer going around?

Than Pickett?

He'd be right up there. Flies for marks when he should be at ground level, and when he does get the ball has a rare ability to kick it on the full with regularity.

Wildly overrated player.

Throw in Fritsch who can play but is a flanker not a key forward, McDonald who is completely shot, and Smith who just isn't up to it yet, and you have a rubbish forward line.

Than Pickett?

He'd be right up there. Flies for marks when he should be at ground level, and when he does get the ball has a rare ability to kick it on the full with regularity.

Wildly overrated player.

Throw in Fritsch who can play but is a flanker not a key forward, McDonald who is completely shot, and Smith who just isn't up to it yet, and you have a rubbish forward line.
Pickett’s second qtr kept Melbourne in the game. Him and Gawn were the 2 that stood up when Collingwood were dominant for the first qtr and a bit. If it wasn’t for them the game would have been all over at half time, likely would have been staring at an 8-9 goal deficit given the roll Collingwood were on.

His conversion in the second half was bad, but he was clearly one of Melbourne’s better performers over the entirety of the game.

Yeah that should have been 50 paid. Really happy if he never gets another high tackle free again in his career, in fact if the afl want to get serious about concussions then they should penalize those that deliberatelly duck into a tackle

Many said that about us 12 months ago when we beat Pies in this final.
Did they? We were clearly the best team in the comp for the second half of last year. We looked the likely premiers from quite a way out I reckon. That Geelong team would beat the current pies team comfortably-it was wet last night, so might be a factor, but the pies have dropped off. Brissys best chance for years I reckon.

Last edited:
Swans at home, pantsed the Blues (wildly inaccurate) in May, but think the Blues may have improved their firepower since. A game for the also rans, and a reminder that a low scoring 54-54 draw for us proved catastrophic. I'll favour the red, only because their supporters were civilised GF onlookers.

Unfortunately I think catempire is on the money and the Pies will win the flag. The only danger is Brisbane if they can get over their finals hoodoo.

I realise the weather conditions may have played a part but the Collingwood sides that played the Qualifying Finals in 2022 and 2023 seem really far apart. Collingwood 2022 would have torn last night's Pies a new one.

The 2022 Qualifying Final between Collingwood and Geelong remains one of the best finals games ever played. Last night's game between the Pies and Melbourne was complete and utter 'meh'. Even the Maynard hit on Peppered Angus was 'meh'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back