Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2023, part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From round 14 we start getting close to a full team together but the season is hanging on by a thread and there are a lot of jaded looking players in the team. Our form is up and down but we are hanging in there. Then the Hawkins and Blicavs injuries in the Freo game (which we lose) that followed the Cameron disaster in the Melbourne game were the final death blows.

The irony being we had one of our more meritorious wins of the season the following week against Port.

The issue was more around:

1. In-game injuries/knocks (usually very early) meaning we had no gas in the tank late for a handful of games. And usually to important rather than fringe players.

2. Having too many players missing from one specific line (defence, midfield, forward) in any one game. And for a month, a combination of every line.

E.g in round 1 we lose Stewart at the start of the match so now we are down Stewart, Kolo and J.Henry in defence. Duncan absent from wing/half back. Same situation the next week vs Carlton.

A cursed season start to finish.

And barely 30 minutes later, us in possession from a kick in, SDK is jogging backwards in his own with no one anywhere near him & he goes down like he'd been shot - we know he returned in the second half & the knee issue didn't keep him out, but there's the mental side of things in a situation like that in trusting that you're fine to keep playing

And barely 30 minutes later, us in possession from a kick in, SDK is jogging backwards in his own with no one anywhere near him & he goes down like he'd been shot - we know he returned in the second half & the knee issue didn't keep him out, but there's the mental side of things in a situation like that in trusting that you're fine to keep playing
Spot on. It also seemed like J.Henry took a few games to fully trust his body and be "in the zone" too. Holmes was playing better before his interruption in the first Freo game as well. The knock on effect of confidence within the group is significant when these types of issues stack up. Sydney just barely managed to revive their season from a similar situation but had to ride their luck at times too.

Yeah it's not a major issue, and I'm sure he'll recapture his form again, but he never quite got into the groove this year.

Stewart was the most "pressing" of the two, I suppose.

Blicavs to the defence is interesting but losing him from the midfield makes it a no go.

If needed, you can move him from the midfield to somewhere else for structural or strategic reasons, and it's easy enough to replace him with someone who's "good enough". There are plenty of players who can go through the middle. Not so in defence.

As for the Cameron trade - we would get (significantly?) less than we paid for him only a few seasons ago for effectively a lottery ticket.

The players we get at 6 and 18~ are not likely to be better than Cameron is (in the time he has left with us) over the course of their careers in the position he plays and certain won't offer a better return in the next two or three years. There's no way we'd get a high roaming key forward at Pick 6~ anyway.

What Strange Cat says is right, too. What Geelong proves is that it's not just talent that gets you there, it's culture.

Geelong, of the last decade and a half are never not challenging. Save for a few close losses (5~) of less than 2 goals they'd have been a chance for top 4. In a fairly weak/even competition who's to say what happens from there?

They weren't "supposed" to win last year (or 2011). They could have won in 2020 save for some extraordinary efforts from a Richmond player or two. Could have snagged a few flags in other years too.

None of those possibilities occur if we trade out experience for youth.
They are unlikely to be as good as Jezza ever. Period.

When the bloke is right he looks like he could kick 7 a game.

The irony being we had one of our more meritorious wins of the season the following week against Port.

True enough...but we couldn't maintain it, and there is little doubt that was in part caused by injuries and subsequent form loss

Here’s something a bit different. Reasons why each of the finalists deserve to win the premiership.

1. Collingwood- Darcy Moore, well spoken, gun player, just a nice guy. Nick Daicos - I saw his face at the grand final parade last year - just determined, clean cut, hard worker and an absolute jet of a player. Maynard, I saw how he and Selwood interacted after our final last year - real recognises real.

2. Brisbane lions - Charlie Cameron, what a consistent gun of a player. Linc, enough said. Bridesmaids and perennially considered soft, if they make it, it’s a big FU to their detractors.

3. Port - Kenny deserves one. Boak deserves one. Butters and Rozee are such good players.

4. Melbourne - Petracca is one of my favourite players. Like Darcy Moore, just a nice guy and a champion player. Gawn too.

5, Carlton - what a season this team has had. Voss has done so well to drown out the noise that has killed every other coach at Carlton in his position. Curnow deserves to be a Brownlow medalist.

6. St Kilda - nice to see Ross get a Fairytale. Enright too.

7. Swans really came back from the dead this year. Happy to see them do well. I like Horse a lot.

8. GWS - be nice to see a franchise team get there. It would vindicate the commitment- and it’s good to see they did it the right way. They’ve been thereabouts for years. And I like Toby Greene.

Now tell me why these teams don’t deserve to win 🤣… start with Mason Cox

Here’s something a bit different. Reasons why each of the finalists deserve to win the premiership.

Now tell me why these teams don’t deserve to win 🤣… start with Mason Cox…
I'll give it a go..

1. Colliingwood: they're not Geelong
2. Brisbane: they're not Geelong
3. Port: they're not Geelong
4. Melbourne: they're not Geelong
5. Carlton: they're not Geelong
6. St Kilda: for the lols
7. Swans: they're not Geelong
8. GWS: they're not Geelong.

1. Collingwood- Darcy Moore, well spoken, gun player, just a nice guy. Nick Daicos - I saw his face at the grand final parade last year - just determined, clean cut, hard worker and an absolute jet of a player. Maynard, I saw how he and Selwood interacted after our final last year - real recognises real.

2. Brisbane lions - Charlie Cameron, what a consistent gun of a player. Linc, enough said. Bridesmaids and perennially considered soft, if they make it, it’s a big FU to their detractors.

3. Port - Kenny deserves one. Boak deserves one. Butters and Rozee are such good players.

4. Melbourne - Petracca is one of my favourite players. Like Darcy Moore, just a nice guy and a champion player. Gawn too.

5, Carlton - what a season this team has had. Voss has done so well to drown out the noise that has killed every other coach at Carlton in his position. Curnow deserves to be a Brownlow medalist.

7. Swans really came back from the dead this year. Happy to see them do well. I like Horse a lot.

8. GWS - be nice to see a franchise team get there. It would vindicate the commitment- and it’s good to see they did it the right way. They’ve been thereabouts for years. And I like Toby Greene.

No one deserves a flag …it’s earnt

But I get your sentiments I just don’t agree with them

Hinkley might have earnt one.

The rest, meh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love Port to win it while Dixon is out, because I can't stand him. And it would mean their fanbase, a large amount who seem to unusually hate Kenny, would have to refer to him as "PREMIERSHIP winning coach Ken Hinkley". And they would love the flag but hate that. Weird lot over there.

It was Bartel not Danger and it was also almost a decade ago, we live in a new world

2012... 2023... both "let down" years after the Cats scooped up another flag. Feels pretty similar to me!

(But in all seriousness, yeah - the trading landscape has changed a lot in that time.)

I expect the winner of the flag will come from the pies v dees on Thursday night- crucial one to win. Winner to the prelim-loser will end up eventually playing prelim in brissy -big ask. Pies facing a pretty similar scenario to last year - they will be desperate to avoid that road again but dees match up well. Am looking forward to this series.

I expect the winner of the flag will come from the pies v dees on Thursday night- crucial one to win. Winner to the prelim-loser will end up eventually playing prelim in brissy -big ask. Pies facing a pretty similar scenario to last year - they will be desperate to avoid that road again but dees match up well. Am looking forward to this series.
Very unpredictable season, but I think winner of Pies and Dees wins the flag.
But I also think we potentially see a Pies V Dees GF.

If Brisbane win the QF and get a home PF I think we could see them bottle the PF. Especially if its against a pressure team like the Pies. But I think if Port beat Brisbane and get a home PF we will see Port win that and make the GF.

Reasons why the following deserve NOT to win the premiership

Collingwood - Precious McRae, Cox, Maynard
Brisbane Lions - Stager and mug lair Cameron
Port - Goboff Koch
Carlton - Voss, and every single President since 1960
St Kilda - Lyon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back