Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawks celebrating like their EF win was a premiership FFS - what a bunch of w***ers!! Really hope Port can rise up and end their campaign!!

I’d love nothing more than to have them in the GF if we make it. Confident we are a much better team than them.

We’ll need Mullin in the side in the unlikely event that we do face Hawks in GF.

I’m keen for a Sydney win today. I reckon Hawks might get past Port but Sydney will beat them on the smaller SCG ground in a Prelim. I would feel confident against the swans in a GF.

The only issue then is that GWS is a bogie side for us so would we wish to play them in a Prelim, or do we hope Brisbane can knock them out? Brisbane Prelim for us would be a good result.

Cats vs GWS GF would be best option for cats fans to get tickets so that could be one reason to cheer them on today.

The Dogs rely on too few to get them wins. Reminds me a bit of the Cats in the 1990’s.

Their bottom 6 or so players are ordinary at best.
McNeil, Harmes, vandermeer, bramble, O’Donnell etc
Was gonna say, they remind me a lot of the Saints in the 2000s.

Elite (on paper) top end talent, so everyone looks at their best 8-10 and thinks they have an awesome list. But dig deeper and you realise that it starts getting pretty shallow after that.

If you work on the theory that flags are won by your bottom 6 instead of your top 6, you can see why the Doggies "Have underachieved" with such a supposedly "great list". It's really not that great once you look closer.

Elite (on paper) top end talent, so everyone looks at their best 8-10 and thinks they have an awesome list. But dig deeper and you realise that it starts getting pretty shallow after that.

If you work on the theory that flags are won by your bottom 6 instead of your top 6, you can see why the Doggies "Have underachieved" with such a supposedly "great list". It's really not that great once you look closer.

In theory it should be easier to find players to fill your bottom six then top six.

Their moves in the offseason, made no sense. They trade in Harmes and then draft Sanders, while having Macrae as the sub. Even with Smith doing has ACL that is overkill investment into what already was a strong midfield. They're set for KPF and bring in Croft, trading in Lobb the year was weird too as they had three promising young KPF.

In theory it should be easier to find players to fill your bottom six then top six.

Their moves in the offseason, made no sense. They trade in Harmes and then draft Sanders, while having Macrae as the sub. Even with Smith doing has ACL that is overkill investment into what already was a strong midfield. They're set for KPF and bring in Croft, trading in Lobb the year was weird too as they had three promising young KPF.

They are desperate for a couple of quality small forwards.

They paid a fair bit to secure the pick to land Sanders but he looks like he might be needed to replenish an ageing midfield.

They still have the framework of a very good team with an extensive list of potentially excellent young talls. Though you now have to wonder whether Ugle-Hagan will ever realise his undoubted ability.

They paid a fair bit to secure the pick to land Sanders but he looks like he might be needed to replenish an ageing midfield.

They still have the framework of a very good team with an extensive list of potentially excellent young talls. Though you now have to wonder whether Ugle-Hagan will ever realise his undoubted ability.

They're on the clock but aren't acting like it. No point replenishing a midfield, right now they are wasting the Bont. If you're constantly looking at the horizon for a future peak you never get there.

That was an insipid performance by the Doggies. Now watch as players ask to be traded to get away from that shit coach. Meanwhile, the Dogs will all rally around Bevo and offer him a ten-year contract extension because they love mediocrity at that club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're on the clock but aren't acting like it. No point replenishing a midfield, right now they are wasting the Bont. If you're constantly looking at the horizon for a future peak you never get there.

True but it’s also said you can’t completely mortgage the future for the present.

I’m not sure aside from an issue with their bottom six they could have done too much more. Last night their midfield was uncharacteristically fumbly and lacked flow. They were really off. As to why? No idea.

In hindsight, they possibly should have done a bit of a mini-rebuild a couple of years ago, instead of topping up with 30-something blokes.....

True but it’s also said you can’t completely mortgage the future for the present.

I’m not sure aside from an issue with their bottom six they could have done too much more. Last night their midfield was uncharacteristically fumbly and lacked flow. They were really off. As to why? No idea.

When you team is too heavily weighted in one area, in the H&A season what was your strength, becomes your weakness in finals. The first thing your opponent will attempt to blunt is your obvious strength. It is the well rounded teams that can shake it off as they have another way to make things work.

Dawks celebrating like their EF win was a premiership FFS - what a bunch of w***ers!! Really hope Port can rise up and end their campaign!!
To be fair this outcome to date isn't remotely in the ballpark of what was expected of them. They're allowed to celebrate as we are allowed to hate them for it.

A forward line of Naughton, Darcy, JUH is just too tall, particularly in finals where small forwards have been the key factors of recent series.

Combine that with the Hawks run from the backline, it was a recipe for disaster IMO.

I still think JUH is a talent, just don’t get to see the best of him in forward line that is crowded with too many tall forwards.

I don’t mind it all, they’re creating an identity. Loved Ginnevan’s celebration FU to the media. People need to stop taking photos of football players in their downtime.

I don’t wish them any animosity or success. Could be building up to another Cats v Hawks rivalry. Which I welcome, because this time, we will smash them!

My biggest issue with the Wizard stuff is; that they were wearing what are clearly witches hats

Last edited:
Wanna see how Port go next week, if no butters then going punch for punch at break neck speed sees Hawks win, h8 to say it reckon kick mark type game will frustrate the shit outta Hawks, slow controlled st.killa type game.

catempire reckons Port will account for them easily next week.

Butters could be a big loss though.

Both have/had a bad coach too

A forward line of Naughton, Darcy, JUH is just too tall, particularly in finals where small forwards have been the key factors of recent series.

Combine that with the Hawks run from the backline, it was a recipe for disaster IMO.

I still think JUH is a talent, just don’t get to see the best of him in forward line that is crowded with too many tall forwards.

I agree that today’s game, particularly finals, suits small forwards rather than lead/mark type talls. Said in a previous post they need a couple of better crumbers.

Hawks were able to close the space of the Dogs mids and shutdown their handball driven game style. They missed targets all night either by foot or by hand. And we’re slipping over far too often. They just had no rhythm at all. Have to give the Hawks credit for negating them. I still however don’t see them this year as a bona fide flag chance.

I agree that today’s game, particularly finals, suits small forwards rather than lead/mark type talls. Said in a previous post they need a couple of better crumbers.

Hawks were able to close the space of the Dogs mids and shutdown their handball driven game style. They missed targets all night either by foot or by hand. And we’re slipping over far too often. They just had no rhythm at all. Have to give the Hawks credit for negating them. I still however don’t see them this year as a bona fide flag chance.

I thought the skill level from both teams was really ordinary.....but it made for a close game.

In the end the Hawks brought far more pressure and the Dogs couldn't cope with their spread.

The Dogs were also poor at the drop of the ball. They were continuously outnumbered and their turnovers.....oh their turnovers. They were deplorable.

The Hawks were really scrappy early in too, but slowly managed to get their game going. Their ball skills also improved as the game went on because they had so much space and so little pressure to contend with.

I look at how the Hawks play and wonder why it works. Normally, the idea is to clear the ball from the congestion/stoppage to an outside player so they can set up an attack in clear space. However, the Hawks just keep passing/kicking/tapping/handballing to other players in the congested areas as a way of moving the ball forward. It seems contrary to how footy is normally played to me. Are they using the fact that players tackle less now in fear of big suspensions if it goes wrong to their advantage? You'd think if an opposition just makes it their goal to stick tackles whenever they can, this style would be defeated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back