Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

When you team is too heavily weighted in one area, in the H&A season what was your strength, becomes your weakness in finals. The first thing your opponent will attempt to blunt is your obvious strength. It is the well rounded teams that can shake it off as they have another way to make things work.
Love this.

And your weakness is underestimated.

A perceived weak midfield can get to work and halve contests against A graders and suddenly, their strength is gone and they don’t actually know how to be defensive and chase and pressure as that isn’t their one wood. And they definitely don’t know how to hunt or play against no-names, because they are simply used to playing their own game and everyone reacting to them.

Having the basics of 1%er’s and pressure as your strength allows you to deal with the heat of finals, then when it opens up, running in waves etc is easily done.

Adding to this - it’s not only a personnel-related concept (strength becoming a weakness), it’s a tactics related thing too. If everyone knows you win centre clearance and score goals from this - then they will figure out a way to blunt you. And if that’s all you really know and have been practising, then there is no plan B when some takes this away from you.

I look at how the Hawks play and wonder why it works. Normally, the idea is to clear the ball from the congestion/stoppage to an outside player so they can set up an attack in clear space. However, the Hawks just keep passing/kicking/tapping/handballing to other players in the congested areas as a way of moving the ball forward. It seems contrary to how footy is normally played to me. Are they using the fact that players tackle less now in fear of big suspensions if it goes wrong to their advantage? You'd think if an opposition just makes it their goal to stick tackles whenever they can, this style would be defeated.
I think it comes down to the “let’s give it a go”/“why not try it” mantra they have. One of the commentators (Lyon?) said that they are literally moving the ball forward not knowing where it’s going to go. And that sort of chaos, where not even the attacking team has its player set up, likely puts the defensive team in weird positions.

It could pay off - it could also fail badly. All it takes it someone like Atkins or Danger to body line that ball, or a Dempsey or Miers to stick their hand out - and it’s going the other way in an instant.

When the Bulldogs did it - they did not manage Sicily when they kicked it into their forwards line. They have some of the best big forwards in the game and they didn’t spread the Hawks defence apart 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️. They were so poor in that game and it wasn’t Hawthorn taking it away from them - I think they thought the game would be easier. You could see Bont getting angry with his teammates for their low intensity.

It's already wearing thin on me.
The media are lapping it up too.
Reminds me a little of 2022 when the pies when the new big thing.

They are taking it a little far imo. Watson with the Wizard hat on last night after the game was just embarrassing.
Ginnivan copying Jez’s 22 GF celebration in a QF…

In theory it should be easier to find players to fill your bottom six then top six.

Their moves in the offseason, made no sense. They trade in Harmes and then draft Sanders, while having Macrae as the sub. Even with Smith doing has ACL that is overkill investment into what already was a strong midfield. They're set for KPF and bring in Croft, trading in Lobb the year was weird too as they had three promising young KPF.
Agree, one of the more uneven lists I’ve seen. Busslinger and Croft will expect game time now too, where do they possibly fit them in? Should’ve sold English or Naughton, either would fetch them waaay more than their actual worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are taking it a little far imo. Watson with the Wizard hat on last night after the game was just embarrassing.

It is embarrassing.

You liked it at any stage? Are we Cats fans or not?

Some people here just went completely blind on Hawthorn rivalry.

I just didn't take any notice of them, haven't for years. Seeing their theatrics on TV after I got home from the game last night was enough for me.

Anyway I'd prefer to talk about our likely opposition for the prelim, not some gang of bogans wearing wizard sleeves on their heads.

It's cringe AF.

They are bloody impressive.
Completely dominated the Bulldogs last night.

They can also slow it down if need be.
They should have beaten Port Adelaide earlier in the year too.

I think it comes down to the “let’s give it a go”/“why not try it” mantra they have. One of the commentators (Lyon?) said that they are literally moving the ball forward not knowing where it’s going to go. And that sort of chaos, where not even the attacking team has its player set up, likely puts the defensive team in weird positions.

It could pay off - it could also fail badly. All it takes it someone like Atkins or Danger to body line that ball, or a Dempsey or Miers to stick their hand out - and it’s going the other way in an instant.

When the Bulldogs did it - they did not manage Sicily when they kicked it into their forwards line. They have some of the best big forwards in the game and they didn’t spread the Hawks defence apart 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️. They were so poor in that game and it wasn’t Hawthorn taking it away from them - I think they thought the game would be easier. You could see Bont getting angry with his teammates for their low intensity.
One thing I thought the Hawks did well was switching play a lot to make the Bulldogs players run and run and run. That paid off by the second half as they tired the Dogs out.

Whatever happens, the only way we'll play the Hawks in this year's finals is if both of us reach the GF.

If we were to meet the hawks in the GF (Lots of water to go under the bridge for that to happen) I’d be very confident we’d put them in their place, we’d bully them.
I honestly thought we'd do that to them in 2008. We lost one game in the home and away season. We kicked cricket scores on the regular. I thought before the game that we would well and truly dismember the Hawks, a team that got torched by North Melbourne in the 2007 finals.

Keep in mind that North got butchered by both Geelong AND Port Adelaide in that finals series.

I would love to make the GF and face the Hawks.

I love our rivalry. It'll be fun if it is unexpectedly reignited this year. Plus we put them back in their place in the home and away season when they were up and about. Why not on the biggest stage of all?

Bring it on

sunny day

Red Sherrin being used

Two classic teams going to to toe (one having to lose :( )

Would be the end of a great "close" season of footy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back