Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

If a social media post can affect a playing group that much then they have bigger issues

The point still stands it’s a senior coach having a go at a losing side after the siren …it’s not a good look and he will rightly get fined

The coach stood up for his team, who were collectively 'dismissed' by a guy that brags about being 'out there'.

He got a return of serve, and his coach sooked it up.

You give, you gotta take.

Them's the rules.

I'm surprised at people think that what can be construed as workplace bullying is warranted.

Power dynamics exist and affect how these things work. Senior leaders in the AFL shouldn't be targeting players - let alone young players.

Doesn't matter that it's Hawthorn or that it's Ginnivan specifically - Ken knows he ****ed up and the AFL will almost certainly see it the same way.

Same as Kingsley making contact with Papley last week. It's just not on.
Workplace bullying? U cannot be cereal.

It's so annoying that Hinkley's verbal needling of the Hawks players has to morph into this insufferable, hyper-serious meta commentary about what is acceptable for coaches to say to players in today's game. And I'm sure Hinkley will be hit with a fine and be forced to make some boring, grovelling apology. The game as a product doesn't benefit from being forceily sanitised like this. Can't fans just form opinions on Hinkley's action and react to it without a media pressure campaign and AFL intervention to eliminate that sort of colour and personality from the sport? Let people who hate it do so and let people who love it do so. Allow it to become part of the banter. This is the sort of thing that people should just be able to either hate Hinkley for or love Hinkley for. It adds to the theatre of the sport to have shit-talking and verbal fracas like this.
I was always taught that after the siren and everyone has shaken hands you move on personally

Espically with a player being chaired off

If a social media post can affect a playing group that much then they have bigger issues

The point still stands it’s a senior coach having a go at a losing side after the siren …it’s not a good look and he will rightly get fined

That's not what I was responding to.

If you're going to continue to argue my posts, please at least read what they're in direct response to.

I'm surprised at people think that what can be construed as workplace bullying is warranted.

Power dynamics exist and affect how these things work. Senior leaders in the AFL shouldn't be targeting players - let alone young players.

Doesn't matter that it's Hawthorn or that it's Ginnivan specifically - Ken knows he ****ed up and the AFL will almost certainly see it the same way.

Bullying??

Sorry, are you serious?!

Yeah absolutely he does in this instance.

Footy is a workplace. Ken's a senior leader in the wider organisation. Sicily protected Ginnivan after Hinkley went after him (by Hinkley's own admission).

If it was another player - yeah fair game. But Hinkley's been around the game at top level for 40 years.

Hinkley's now apologising for it and he'll probably (and rightly) be fined by the AFL.

It's not like Ginnivan went out and decked half of Port's list or deliberately belted someone off the ball.

Instead he had a bit of banter online with an old team mate and Port are so ****ing weak-willed they took it personally - Ken said as much. Ken's response says as much. I doubt Ginnivan even considered the consequences beyond "Lol, sucked in Grundy"

On top of all that he won the ****ing game. Sore winners exist. Ken's one of them.

It's emblematic of the stunted culture at Port Adelaide - too insular. Too uptight. Too rigid. Too serious.
I wouldn’t like my coach carrying on like that, but on the flip side if you’re celebrating ‘ginnies’ antics before the game and sooking up about Ken you’re a hypocrite of the highest order

Some things are more important than show and entertainment. A lot of people-including you-are letting their views of hawthorn colour their thinking on a much more important issue.
Port fans have atrocious views towards Ken.

Is this something that'll piss them off. Yes.

Ergo I am okay with it. They deserve misery.

I watched it mate. Not just a 2 second clip.
Sicily was still going off as he chaired him off. And it wasn't only once.
Nope. Fake news. What I posted was the end of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The notion that any of the people involved in this fiasco emerge with any credit whatsoever is farcical in the extreme. Year 3 playground antics all round.

Ultimately just an absolutely woeful example of sportsmanship from everyone and little wonder that the standard of behaviour on the sporting field generally remains routinely ordinary when these are the examples we are witnessing in our country's elite competition.

So 'weak willed' they used it to win the war.

Ginnivan fired a shot but didn't follow up.

As we know, prior to last weeks match he opted for a pub meal the night before - I saw it suggested by a few folk (potentially just pissed off Collingwood fans) that he’s fired more than a few shots but yet to follow any of them up with his actions on the field

Ginnivan was a tool, and Hinkley was the hammer.

Fair game.
After a game When it’s all over …I could understand if it was half time and Ginni was mouthing off at them but when the game was well and truly over and they have won?

Yeah I dont think that’s the best sportsmanship being displayed by a senior coach personally

Gini brings it on himself. IMO.

🤣 at bullying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back