Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

18k at the Giants game last night yet we cant get a final at KP with 40k, ****ing joke!!!
I don't dislike the GWS team.
But it's the hardest market to crack into too.
Maybe they shouldn't of made that team.
Even tho they done more than the Suns .

Footy games in Vic about 10 plus games of little kids playing footy.

When we went up to the SCG for the cats game about 5 games of little kids footy.
Did nt see one kick to kick when walking about Sydney

I don't dislike the GWS team.
But it's the hardest market to crack into too.
Maybe they shouldn't of made that team.
Even tho they done more than the Suns .

Footy games in Vic about 10 plus games of little kids playing footy.

When we went up to the SCG for the cats game about 5 games of little kids footy.
Did nt see one kick to kick when walking about Sydney
Aussie rules is clearly not the dominant sport in Sydney.

But it is definitely growing and the giants have made an impact in the western part of Sydney. There are way more junior clubs and teams in western Sydney than there were 7-8 years ago.

It is making major in roads into rugby leagues market share regards junior participation. Rugby league has always had a stranglehold in western Sydney, followed by soccer. More mums don’t want their kids playing league, and Aussie rules is a better option for them. It will never overtake soccer in regards participation but it will continue to take kids away from rugby league.

Western Sydney is the growth corridor of the country. If the afl is serious about being a national competition (which is questionable) then they need a team in western Sydney.

But it is definitely growing and the giants have made an impact in the western part of Sydney. There are way more junior clubs and teams in western Sydney than there were 7-8 years ago.

It is making major in roads into rugby leagues market share regards junior participation. Rugby league has always had a stranglehold in western Sydney, followed by soccer. More mums don’t want their kids playing league, and Aussie rules is a better option for them. It will never overtake soccer in regards participation but it will continue to take kids away from rugby league.

Western Sydney is the growth corridor of the country. If the afl is serious about being a national competition (which is questionable) then they need a team in western Sydney.

Yep.

Prob making more in roads than people think .
Looks poor with the lack of people at the GWS games.

Will be interesting with Tassie coming in.
I'm unsure if players will want to live there.
Maybe they will like it .

I for one love the place.
Going back next month.

I give Port Ade a decent chance against Syd , this nonsense they will get smashed , i dont think the Swans will be smashing anyone , their late season form was as as shaky and jittery as you can get

Even Frem beat the Swans at the SCG this year , and i did watch the whole of the round 21 match at SCG between Dogs and Swans , and the Dogs gave them a drubbing 12-15 to 7-6 . The big thing that stood out that day , it was a bit like when we played Rich at their top , we just couldnt win the ball

So going on that form line the Swans are highly beatable , and Port have beaten them 8 in a row , the trick for Port , will be fly the box lids , get an early lead ( Swans are dodgy starters ) and lead all the way , i wont be surprised the least if Port make it 9 on the trot

18k at the Giants game last night yet we cant get a final at KP with 40k, ****ing joke!!!
Unfortunately it's the reason why we won't get a final in Geelong.

We needed to be packed out with plenty missing out to show the "home state" rule is a load of shit.

By not filling it, the AFL can just say it was the perfect venue for the game and because we are always expected to get 50k+, theres no reason to not play in Melbourne

As much as I love the drought breaking 2007 its the one I return to the least. Man there was some amazing transition football that has rarely been replicated but it was just too one sided. 2022 was one sided but it just had so many stories from Stengle, Selwood, Danger, Jezza, SDK, Parfit. Will always be my fave I think.
2009 is my favourite to date because it was such a dour sphincter-clenching encounter on the coldest day in Grand Final history (11.3 degrees according to the wiki entry - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_AFL_Grand_Final)

2011 would have been the best Grand Final in history if the last quarter was like the other three - with us still winning, of course!

We needed to be packed out with plenty missing out to show the "home state" rule is a load of shit.

By not filling it, the AFL can just say it was the perfect venue for the game and because we are always expected to get 50k+, theres no reason to not play in Melbourne
Even if we had a 100k seat stadium we would still be forced to play most finals at the MCG due to shady deals made between the MCC and AFL

The speaker said BC means before Cook and something about white people .
Too much political and a bit dividing...
I'll have to wait for some footage but yeah, 'welcome to country' should be looked at as the first part of the national anthem, wording conditional on what part of the country the game's played in of course. With that in mind it's best to be both neutral and welcoming.

There's always a place to discuss the rights and wrongs and the lies and outrages of history, but the lead-up to a sporting event may not be the place for it in fairness.

EDIT: Found the wording;

"I'm here this evening to perform a ceremony of Welcome to Country... a Welcome to Country is not a welcome to Australia,' Mr Kerin said.

'Within Australia we have many Aboriginal lands and we refer to our lands as 'country'. So it's always a welcome to the lands you've gathered on.

A Welcome to Country is not a ceremony we've invented to cater for white people.

It's a ceremony we've been doing for 250,000 years-plus BC - and the BC stands for Before Cook."

I believe that what Brendan Kerin said is fair enough. 'Welcome to Country' is NOT a welcome to Australia, but a welcome to whatever traditional land the match is held in.

I'll accept the contention that the practice was around BEFORE European settlement.

I think "Before Cook" was a bit of humour thrown in at the end.

My verdict? No harm done. Undivisive.

Last edited:

We prob playing better at the G .

The speaker said BC means before Cook and something about white people .
Too much political and a bit dividing...
Which was funny! Very sensitive aren’t you? Do you play for hawthorn?
Nothing wrong with acknowledging a history and culture that has been suppressed for 200 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes I think you read my thoughts.
The hint is in the name - It"S YOU FROM THE FUTURE!!!!!

5240f4699e6c36910851e6f8aa107c87--emmett-brown-doc-brown.jpg

Anyone want to start a gofundme for Ken?

'Conduct unbecoming': Hinkley learns sanction for Hawks taunt - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1221007

How about Doug Hawkins you know the former Footscray champion wingman , i saw/heard him on that Front Bar show

Right at end of career when on his last legs Foot basically finished him up , so he had 1 final year with Fitzroy

There wasnt much money in the game then , anyhow he got fined 1k for something which was quite a bit , and Fitzroy supporters contacted him to help him pay it , you know with cash and money orders and that, and Footscray supporters joined in , lets help Doug a club legend pay his fine

Dougie said he made $12000 out of it and he put 3 and a half grand in his phone account for the horses , ha, ha,ha

I'll have to wait for some footage but yeah, 'welcome to country' should be looked at as the first part of the national anthem, wording conditional on what part of the country the game's played in of course. With that in mind it's best to be both neutral and welcoming.

There's always a place to discuss the rights and wrongs and the lies and outrages of history, but the lead-up to a sporting event may not be the place for it in fairness.

EDIT: Found the wording;

"I'm here this evening to perform a ceremony of Welcome to Country... a Welcome to Country is not a welcome to Australia,' Mr Kerin said.

'Within Australia we have many Aboriginal lands and we refer to our lands as 'country'. So it's always a welcome to the lands you've gathered on.

A Welcome to Country is not a ceremony we've invented to cater for white people.

It's a ceremony we've been doing for 250,000 years-plus BC - and the BC stands for Before Cook."

I believe that what Brendan Kerin said is fair enough. 'Welcome to Country' is NOT a welcome to Australia, but a welcome to whatever traditional land the match is held in.

I'll accept the contention that the practice was around BEFORE European settlement.

I think "Before Cook" was a bit of humour thrown in at the end.

My verdict? No harm done. Undivisive.
First two sentences fine
Last two weren't necessary
But that's just me

I still think they should move to Canberra.

Ridiculous. I've got no issue with people disliking Hinkley's conduct, but this type of shit shouldn't be legislated out of the game by sanctions.
And if so, why not Sicily also? I mean Kenny did what he did with a smile, Siciily certainly did not! Still dirtying up today after he’s slept on it.

Which was funny! Very sensitive aren’t you? Do you play for hawthorn?
Nothing wrong with acknowledging a history and culture that has been suppressed for 200 years.
Piss off .

I didn't have ago at anyone else.

Just because I didn't like it .
That just me...I'm allowed to have my own thoughts.

And if so, why not Sicily also? I mean Kenny did what he did with a smile, Siciily certainly did not! Still dirtying up today after he’s slept on it.

Ken prob cops a fine.

Sic prob gets noithing .

Edit Kenny got a 20K fine I believe.

First two sentences fine
Last two weren't necessary
But that's just me
Why do you have an issue with him saying Before Cook? It’s a bit of humorous historical short hand, in this case the beginning of colonisation to educate the crowd that a Welcome to country is not a new thing.

If a non-aboriginal person used the initialism BC (before cook) to refer to the time before Australia was colonised, would you take issue?

Now I don’t want to continue this discussion on here as it’s the non-Geelong football discussion page and not an education on the nation of Australia and its treatment of Aboriginal people, feel free to reply and if you want to chat more we can do so privately.

The last thing I will say is that we as a nation tend to have an issue with Aboriginal people when they don’t behave in a certain way & I think it’s always worth thinking, in the grand scheme of things, is this really actually offending/bothering me or am I just feeling a little uncomfortable because what is being said is making me think about uncomfortable truths?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back