Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Piss off .

I didn't have ago at anyone else.

Just because I didn't like it .
That just me...I'm allowed to have my own thoughts.
I just responded to your post on a public forum.

I didn’t say you couldn’t have your own thoughts.

You do you.

I also am allowed to have my own thoughts and I thought you were being a little over sensitive.

Why do you have an issue with him saying Before Cook? It’s a bit of humorous historical short hand, in this case the beginning of colonisation to educate the crowd that a Welcome to country is not a new thing.

If a non-aboriginal person used the initialism BC (before cook) to refer to the time before Australia was colonised, would you take issue?

Now I don’t want to continue this discussion on here as it’s the non-Geelong football discussion page and not an education on the nation of Australia and its treatment of Aboriginal people, feel free to reply and if you want to chat more we can do so privately.

The last thing I will say is that we as a nation tend to have an issue with Aboriginal people when they don’t behave in a certain way & I think it’s always worth thinking, in the grand scheme of things, is this really actually offending/bothering me or am I just feeling a little uncomfortable because what is being said is making me think about uncomfortable truths?
Time and a place...as I mentioned earlier footy fans don't need a sermon
We have recognition and that is a good thing.

We are coming at this from different angles so best we concentrate on GFC

I just had an opinion on it and everyone else probably has one too

Last edited:

Why do you have an issue with him saying Before Cook?
We don't even use BC (Before Christ) and AD anymore because that's very offensive to non-Christians. We now use the term "Common Era." So it's BCE and CE.

Really does appear that the public still has issues with aboriginal people not behaving in a certain way and speaking out for their communities

Just another way to avoid calling them uppity and putting them back in their place imo

Still it would be nice if the discussion can die down now that its been going for a few pages now

Last edited:
I don't dislike the GWS team.
But it's the hardest market to crack into too.
Maybe they shouldn't of made that team.
Even tho they done more than the Suns .

Footy games in Vic about 10 plus games of little kids playing footy.

When we went up to the SCG for the cats game about 5 games of little kids footy.
Did nt see one kick to kick when walking about Sydney
Sure if you sat down with the AFL they could convince you in 15 mins why we need 2 Sydney teams. Will be a slow burn, they always admitted that. And we get to pick off their KPF’s.

We might get some exciting commentary for our games now instead of the eye-rolling, monotone commentary.
One of the greatest shames about our 2022 GF win was how freaking listless the C7 commentary is. My god. I thought at the time they were just moping about Geelong winning, but as I've continued to watch with the most recent incarnation of the commentary teams, it just seems a trend. They sound so flat and lifeless these days, doing very little to punctuate big moments. They might as well just be quiet and let the game play out with crowd noise turned up; it would likely grant more atmosphere to the game.

We're probably not far from having AI that can add more to the games. You could put a video game commentary track on that would be about the same, as often that's what I feel I'm listening to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Bruce back in the hot seat at C7, who gets the chop?
Says he is doing the "hosting role", so maybe he won't be calling the game. But if he is, please replace BT or Darcy (even though I wasn't a fan of Bruce's commentary style, anything is better than those two!).

Says he is doing the "hosting role", so maybe he won't be calling the game. But if he is, please replace BT or Darcy (even though I wasn't a fan of Bruce's commentary style, anything is better than those two!).
I would replace them with the any of the Auskick kids…that’s how desperate I am to have them off the air

4 in 2 years. I think he might be done

I understand he also had difficulty with his recovery after his previous concussion

We know it’s not necessarily as simple as the more concussions you’ve had means it’s more likely you’ll suffer another one, but when you start hearing of difficulties with recovery & lingering issues, that is when even single becomes a concern

And above all else, quality of life outside of football is always more important

Port Adelaide v Hawthorn​

10 Jase Burgoyne (PORT)
5 Jordon Sweet (PORT)
5 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
4 Jack Scrimshaw (HAW)
3 William Rioli (PORT)
2 Nick Watson (HAW)
1 Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (PORT)

Greater Western Sydney v Brisbane​

7 Jesse Hogan (GWS)
5 Jarrod Berry (BL)
5 Will Ashcroft (BL)