Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact we've still got players using that F-word as a slur, shows just how far we've got to go within the league

And when you then read the BS comments like:
  • I really hope his opponents pull through after such a tragic event like this. Thinking of them, their families, their pets and their neighbours garden gnomes.
  • Thoughts and prayers going out to all the players who have been effected by these despicably hurtful and violent words
  • What happens on the field stay on the field if you can’t handle it take up knitting

The above are actual comments

And then there's comments like:
  • we've become too precious
  • people are soft
  • sticks & stones etc

Add in that media outlets have turned off public comments on the Ralf Schumacher story from yesterday, and you realise that the public is even further away from it being accepted in an environment like the AFL

Yeah I was hoping the Ralf story wouldn't blow up and everyone could just mind their own business!

Have to feel a bit for North. Last week they played the top of the ladder Swans coming off two consecutive losses and got poleaxed. This weekend they play the 2nd placed Carlton who themselves are coming off two consecutive losses.

Reasons:

We find that in tackling his opponent in the way he did, Cameron engaged in rough conduct.

Almost immediately after Duggan picked up the ball, Cameron ran to Duggan and wrapped his arms around him in a tackle.

He had both of Duggan's arms pinned and the ball was locked in between them.

Contrary to Cameron's evidence, we consider the vision clearly captures Cameron taking Duggan to ground.

He used the right side of his body to forcefully drive Duggan backwards. Duggan managed to avoid being immediately driven to the ground by taking a few steps backwards and turning to the side. However, under the continued force being applied, Duggan then lost his feet and landed heavily on his back with his head hitting the ground.

It is the combination of the excessive force used in driving Duggan backwards with both of his arms pinned that makes the tackle unreasonable in the circumstances.

Those two features put Duggan in a highly vulnerable position. He had no opportunity to try to protect himself. If he wasn't driven backwards with such force, then there would have been opportunity for him to try to control the way he landed.

If his arms weren't held, then there would have been opportunity for him to try to use an arm or shoulder to cushion his landing.

For these reasons, we uphold the charge.

I agree with a lot of what they say but both and especially Cameron had other options.

Bedford could have pinned only 1 arm easier said than done it this case i know. At most this one should be 1 week suspension.
Cameron just had to hold him up instead of pushing him backwards and eventually dumping him on the back of his head.

The biggest problem i have with these suspensions is the elbow to the back of the head only get 1 week when it is 100% intentional and has the ability to cause serious harm in the moment and long term.. The elbow should have been a minimum 2 weeks i would have given him 4weeks
I will not be able to watch those incidents and think suspension. This is not the same sport I grew to love as a kid.
A game now run by the weasels of the adult world. Lawyers.

I'm with Robbo, Bucks and Jono wholeheartedly in that neither should be suspensions, and too many of this sports fans are now conditioned to agree that it should be. That's the great shame of it all.

AFL is now too sanitised and too structured.

Have to feel a bit for North. Last week they played the top of the ladder Swans coming off two consecutive losses and got poleaxed. This weekend they play the 2nd placed Carlton who themselves are coming off two consecutive losses.
Their coach is Alistair Clarkson though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will not be able to watch those incidents and think suspension. This is not the same sport I grew to love as a kid.
A game now run by the weasels of the adult world. Lawyers.

I'm with Robbo, Bucks and Jono wholeheartedly in that neither should be suspensions, and too many of this sports fans are now conditioned to agree that it should be. That's the great shame of it all.

AFL is now too sanitised and too structured.
It is totally not the same game.

Nothing about the game is the same, this is just another example.

Reasons:

We find that in tackling his opponent in the way he did, Cameron engaged in rough conduct.

Almost immediately after Duggan picked up the ball, Cameron ran to Duggan and wrapped his arms around him in a tackle.

He had both of Duggan's arms pinned and the ball was locked in between them.

Contrary to Cameron's evidence, we consider the vision clearly captures Cameron taking Duggan to ground.

He used the right side of his body to forcefully drive Duggan backwards. Duggan managed to avoid being immediately driven to the ground by taking a few steps backwards and turning to the side. However, under the continued force being applied, Duggan then lost his feet and landed heavily on his back with his head hitting the ground.

It is the combination of the excessive force used in driving Duggan backwards with both of his arms pinned that makes the tackle unreasonable in the circumstances.

Those two features put Duggan in a highly vulnerable position. He had no opportunity to try to protect himself. If he wasn't driven backwards with such force, then there would have been opportunity for him to try to control the way he landed.

If his arms weren't held, then there would have been opportunity for him to try to use an arm or shoulder to cushion his landing.

For these reasons, we uphold the charge.

Was always going to be upheld.

Rosas' actions should have gotten more than a week.

Sure it didn't cause any injury but it could have and it's an action you want to stamp out properly.

Agreed.

He was intending to hurt the guy, and deliberately went for the head. That he missed shouldn't discount the intent.

I don’t think it could have caused injury.

It was a half-hearted attempt.

Stupid not dangerous. 1 week is fine.

The elbow is a very hard point on the body.

You don't need much force in the wrong spot to cause serious damage.

His elbow should have been nowhere near a player's head, let alone off the ball.

3 weeks minimum. 6 if he causes damage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back